Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! water ingress in boot

stevewright

Im not holding out much hope for ford finding the route of this (and im not paying them a days work at £75 an hour)

They investigated and said it could be the hinges.

Ive also heard allot of other people with probs which include seals around the lights, hinge welds, and blocked sunroof runners.

What is the best sealer to use, if i literally seal around the hinges, any holes etc, rubbers myself, and how would i check if the sunroof runners are blocked?

its a 2007 focus 5 door hatch

thanks

• Like 1

Get someone in the boot with a torch, and pour water all over the car, then you can see where its coming from.

Im not holding out much hope for ford finding the route of this (and im not paying them a days work at £75 an hour)

Ive also heard allot of other people with probs which include seals around the lights, hinge welds, and blocked sunroof runners.

What is the best sealer to use, if i literally seal around the hinges, any holes etc, rubbers myself, and how would i check if the sunroof runners are blocked?

thanks

sealing will not solve youre issue you need to get the parcel shelf out and have someone put a hose over the rear and watch for the leak hinges i doubt it i would say either from the rear lights or the rear boot seal needs replaced to be honest if it was me i would have told ford i dont want a maybe i want an answer it doesnt takee an hour to check the hose is the best way also feel around for wet patches there will be one there if waters coming in then check the area around it if its below thwe lights then its likely the seals etc im kinda glad ive got a mk1 as these newer fords seem to be plagued with silly problems

thanks

Iv got aleak on both sides in my focus boot to, can you tell me more about this hinge problem like where the leak actually is .Cheers.

Iv got aleak on both sides in my focus boot to, can you tell me more about this hinge problem like where the leak actually is .Cheers.

does your car have a sunroof?

an independant body shop today confirmed the likely cause was the sunroof runners were blocked and instead of draining under the rear buper, they were draining into the boot

does your car have a sunroof?

an independant body shop today confirmed the likely cause was the sunroof runners were blocked and instead of draining under the rear buper, they were draining into the boot

theyre you go then a free fix to be honest i knew the hinge thing was a load of rubbish as it wouldnt matter the weight of the boot plus the lock plus the seal would still keep the water out typical ford just make it up ide go back to ford and ask for the money back they should have known to check the drain holes vw are the same the drain holes all over block up and you get water in everywhere honestly go back and ask for a refund tell them you went to an independant who found the fault in 5 minutes and you paid 75 quid and a days labour for basically a load of twaddle

theyre you go then a free fix to be honest i knew the hinge thing was a load of rubbish as it wouldnt matter the weight of the boot plus the lock plus the seal would still keep the water out typical ford just make it up ide go back to ford and ask for the money back they should have known to check the drain holes vw are the same the drain holes all over block up and you get water in everywhere honestly go back and ask for a refund tell them you went to an independant who found the fault in 5 minutes and you paid 75 quid and a days labour for basically a load of twaddle

INDEED

if im absolutely honest, my ford experience in the 5 weeks ive had it feels like its destined for misery :(

you may have noticed my very rapidly growing post count here in only 2and half weeks, and it hasnt been talking about the weather.lol

nothing seems to be going right with this car, i even bought new wheels to cheer myself up, but theyre so low profile (even wheni lower the car) they look too small, even at 17 inch

ok, it seems after the heavy rain last night in london, that my water leak is not fixed!!

does anyone have any other ideas? it seems to be coming from the right hand side of the car somewhere around the wheel arch

ok, it seems after the heavy rain last night in london, that my water leak is not fixed!!

does anyone have any other ideas? it seems to be coming from the right hand side of the car somewhere around the wheel arch

open the boot and remove the padding /trim on that side its easy it pulls back look inside and you will see the wheel arch and a small rubber flap you will know if this is the source as it will have a puddle of water ive read that this flap which is for letting moisture out can stick open and let water in

from your avatar you have a different focus, all the carpet seems to be screwed in with torx screws so i cannot access it at the moment (in work)

Do all the focus have this rubber panel on the wheel arch then?

its definately somewhere there its getting in, as the vertical carpet next to the wheel arch is soaking.

from your avatar you have a different focus, all the carpet seems to be screwed in with torx screws so i cannot access it at the moment (in work)

Do all the focus have this rubber panel on the wheel arch then?

its definately somewhere there its getting in, as the vertical carpet next to the wheel arch is soaking.

all fords have it its a flap that prevents moisture build up ive read a few posts were the water is coming in through here the fact the vertical carpet is wet suggests its close remove that carpet out tjhe way and look behind for any signs of the water if its coming from above the wheel arch youll be able to see the trace of water down the interior panel.[feel that carpet is it the whole lot thats wet or just a certain spot ie is it wet but drier to the lrft or right of it but wetter above or below following this can lead you to the leak you have the boot seal that flap in the arch and the lights these are the main culprits it could be a possible leaky side window as youll see when the carpets moved the side window sits under this area so a leak wouldnt be obvious

open the boot and remove the padding /trim on that side its easy it pulls back look inside and you will see the wheel arch and a small rubber flap you will know if this is the source as it will have a puddle of water ive read that this flap which is for letting moisture out can stick open and let water in

If the water is wetting the carpet right in the rear corners of the boot and seems to be running down the carpet that goes up the side of the boot, take alook up through the small opening above that spot so you can see the inside of the rain gulley and the boot seam that runs down either side of the boot.There is where you may see drips of water that have run down the inside of the seam and then drop through the opening on to the side carpet, this is what i have found but have yet to have solved it i also dont beleave it to be hinges. I have taken the lights of and silicone sealed all the blanking rubbers and still have the problem i have also noticed that the screws and screw locations that hold the lights in place do not have a seal around them and at the moment trying to cure this .If you cure let us now and i will do like wise .By the way mine has,nt got a sun roof so i dont now any thing about drainage blocked. Atb.

cheers guys, ill keep you all informed if i find anything new. the carpet appears to be wet directly behind the right hand wheel arch (vertical carpet) and a little wet carpet on the rear of the wheel arch itself.

update :

I removed the boot carpets for them to dry, but also to help diagnose the problem.

I think ive narrowed it down, to the rear lights!

Spraying a hose on the car is the worst thing to do, because you have water coming out of every orrifice, so its hard to diagnose.

I used a jug of water, first poured on sun roof, then on rear of roof, and low and behold, the water went in.

Its coming in the right hand side, when i look up inside where the boot light is, it just trickles straight in around the light.

i didnt have time to take the light off, but is there a gasket that goes round the light, or rubber grommets or something i can replace?

• Like 1

update :

I removed the boot carpets for them to dry, but also to help diagnose the problem.

I think ive narrowed it down, to the rear lights!

Spraying a hose on the car is the worst thing to do, because you have water coming out of every orrifice, so its hard to diagnose.

I used a jug of water, first poured on sun roof, then on rear of roof, and low and behold, the water went in.

Its coming in the right hand side, when i look up inside where the boot light is, it just trickles straight in around the light.

i didnt have time to take the light off, but is there a gasket that goes round the light, or rubber grommets or something i can replace?

there is a rubber gasket on the outside of the lkight as youll see when you remove it or silicone the rear of the light in the boot area

• Like 1

P2040005.jpg

Ive circled here the offending article. Its the plastic washer that the light fitting screws into, this is where the water is getting in. any suggestions for fixing it?

or what would it be called to try and order some new ones

P2040005.jpg

Ive circled here the offending article. Its the plastic washer that the light fitting screws into, this is where the water is getting in. any suggestions for fixing it?

or what would it be called to try and order some new ones

theres a few ways 1 replace it with a new one if you do i would seal it with silicone anyway and do the other side as well or seal it as is with silicone then get waxoyl/underseal and brush it on the area including under the lights or get arubber washer from any diy store and use that ide be tempted to reaplce the washer then seal it front and rear

theres a few ways 1 replace it with a new one if you do i would seal it with silicone anyway and do the other side as well or seal it as is with silicone then get waxoyl/underseal and brush it on the area including under the lights or get arubber washer from any diy store and use that ide be tempted to reaplce the washer then seal it front and rear

what is it called though? ive trawled internet, but cannot find some to buy.

what is it called though? ive trawler internet, but cannot find some to buy.

you wont it will likely be a ford only part what they will call it is anyones guess ide try the local diy shops for similar washers or use mastic or sealant and seal it up inside and out

at least now ive found the cause i can look to fix it like you say

whats the best silicone sealant to use?

difficulty accesssing it from behind, so may fill hole with solicone, then press new clip into it

• Like 1

at least now ive found the cause i can look to fix it like you say

whats the best silicone sealant to use?

difficulty accesssing it from behind, so may fill hole with solicone, then press new clip into it

any exterior waterproof sealant will do the job doesnt have to be specific or mastik will do the job as well any water pump gasket sealant really take yure pick i personally use mastik as when it sets it sets good and its waterproof and very long lasting

I have this problem too, in my 54 reg ghia. The back left hand corner of the boot gets very wet every time it rains. I'm pretty sure that it's not the rear light cluster. I've taken off the trim from the wheel arch and the rear of the boot. At the bottom of the gulley down the right hand side there is a couple of gaps where the rear bumper is joned on. If you pour water into these gaps most of it falls to the ground below the bumper but it also starts appearing inside the boot - enough to make it wet very quickly. There's a bit of metal bracing welded on in the corner and the water starts appearing behind that. There's some sort of brown mastic on the joins but I'm guessing that it has failed somehow. Haven't decided on what to do next.

all you need to do is buy seam sealer and reseal the offending are from the inside had a look at mine must be made different because ive no way of water getting in that area get seam sealer remove the carpet get a good dollop of it on there and smooth it around so its covering the area and about5 half an inch over that ar5ea too pick a decent day and it will dry thats job done

• Like 1