• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 c-maxxed

c-maxxed

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: C-Max 1.6 tdci (110) 57 plate
Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:30 PM

Having just acquired a C-max 1.6 tdci 57 plate we've also found that economy seems very poor. We've just averaged 41.5 over our first tankful. Tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery but, sadly, no difference of note. :(

The car still has just over a year's warranty so I'm tempted to take it in to a dealer to see what they can do.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them (other than "shouldn't have bought one of those!") :blink:

cheers

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Richard G

Richard G

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Ford Model: CMax 1.6 TDCi LX
Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:58 PM

the MPG on our 54 plate 1.6 TDCi went up from 45 to around 50 when I changed the front brake pads which were very low. I wondered if it was related to the amount the front caliper pistons were extended

#18 CMAX Not Reliable!

CMAX Not Reliable!

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: CMAX
Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:43 PM

Hiya...for what its worth..my c-max was showing between 32-35mpg...what i did was to disconnect the battery for 15 mins..(if you see my other post on ford c-max i thought it may do something!!)....after all when your home pc freezes you disconnect it from the mains and "hey presto" it works fine again..anyway i disconnected the battery and next time i drove the mpg rose dramatically....it now does at least 51.5 and the highest ive had is 59.6....this is "normal" driving not long motorway driving,as regards to the other issues with the car..there is no improvement....but give it a go...it wont cost anything...but make sure you have the audio codes!!...hope this helps...Rob

Hi,
I've got a '55 plate 1.6 petrol, and its terrible for consumption.
My wife drives it mostly (she does have a heavy right foot) and does a lot of local runs.
She averages 29 - 32 MPG.

I had to disconnect my battery overnight last night, and I've just noticed I got 36 MPG on the way to work this morning !!

WTF ?!

#19 rjays

rjays

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Ford Model: c-max

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

glad to be of assistance ;)

#20 Richard G

Richard G

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

Certain of the petrol engined variants don't give good economy due to the way the geartrain is set (try looking at what engine speed you are doing at motorway driving speed)

the diesels are doing less than 3000 RPM at 80 MPH even in only 5th gear

#21 revjames

revjames

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: CMax 1.6 TDCI
Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

Hi there I have an 04 Cmax 1.6TDCI. I was impressed with the performance for a small diesel and expected high mpg rates. I was a bit disappointed. This is what I get:

round town just local trips: 41mpg
mixture of local and longer runs: 50mpg
Long trip: 55mpg
Long trip driving like a saint 60mpg.

I once drove to Redditch to see my son. I am in North wales so filled up in Bangor - drove 155 miles - I knew he didng finish work til 5.30 so I wasnt in a hurry to getb there so I drove at 55-65 and tried to anticipate road conditions best I could and really nursed it along. The result? filled up and was shocked to need only 10.75 litres. This worked out at nearly 71mpg. Dont forget this is checking the maths on amount of fuel needed over a given distance not the computer in the car.

I was delighted with this but rarely have the patience to drive like that. Typically get 55 on a good run and thats cruising at 70.

#22 mr rugby

mr rugby

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Ford Model: c-max 1.8 tdci titanium
Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:13 PM

As the fuel economy is such an issue, I would suggest anyone taking a cmax for a test drive should check what the average mpg indicates on the display from the previous owner, unless of course some one has already reset this.
This will give you a clue on how it has performed over time, alternatively, if it has already been reset by someone, reset it yourself during your test drive once you have determined this.

You would know if it has been recently reset because,

1/ the average mpg will be on zero in the showroom or..
2/ while viewing the average display and while driving gently, it will quickly change to reflect your economical driving habit and will improve very quickly. If the display doesn't change quickly it is likely that the average reading hasn't been reset recently and will be a better indication of it's average mpg over time.
This is all to do with it's sampling rates.
If you reset the display it samples fuel flow against distance and samples,say every 1/2 mile, so because you have not done many miles as a comparison it changes quickly. Now once you have done a hundred miles or so it has a wider sample rate to judge itself over so the display changes much slower.
So if you reset your gauge and say drive 20 miles around town, your average will be based on stop starting driving, while on the other hand if reset prior to a motorway run it will be based on a continual run.
In reality (if you don't reset at all) the computer averages both town and continual and gives you an overall average.
Long winded though it sounds.......it is worth a try as it could provide evidence of the better mpg averages when comparing like for like vehicles.
When you read on this forum how some people report getting 35 mpg while others say they get 60 mpg.......the evidence may be right in front of you while test driving.
Give it a try

mr rugby

#23 M1EQO

M1EQO

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ford Model: CMAX 2.0 TDCI TITANIUM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:35 PM

Titanium is my latest CMax TDCi - Infact this is my 3rd CMax.
Others all 1.6 worst 39mpg - best 52mpg.
Not sure what should get from my 2.0 Diesel.
Just coming upto 10K.

The main thing - Just enjoy.

Clive

#24 ajc1969

ajc1969

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus c-max 1.6 zetec

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:14 PM

We have a 1.6 petrol zetec and best I can get is around 36 on a motorway drive, not very impressive given that I've been using it regularly on my own (no wife kids and boot full of usual rubbish)!
Think this needs to be explored a bit more as I was expecting a little bit better on a careful motorway drive....

#25 mr rugby

mr rugby

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Ford Model: c-max 1.8 tdci titanium
Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

I'd really like a group of us to try an experiment.
If you look on the ford website it gives details of how they conducted their mpg tests.
My figures are not even in the ball park.
I'm a carefull driver, light on the throttle yet I can't come close to fords mpg's for my 1.8tdci.
Even given manufacturers tolerences we should be closer than what we are.
I would love to hand my car over to an organisation ( top gear or fifth gear tv shows ) who could mimic fords mpg tests and have a real comparison, because there is something wrong somewhere and to be honest it is not just fords.
When you consider we base our purchase on a manufacturers figures, to then not even be close is out of order.
Another idea would be to get a fairly flat motorway run of a couple of miles, select cruise, select speed to take away the drivers hoof out of the equation, reset the menu mpg and record what the car does and post it here.
Imagine if we could grow a database of similar runs from similar models it would provide a wealth of info for owners and buyers alike.
We just need someone to facilitate the experiment.

mr rugby

#26 Richard G

Richard G

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:35 AM

I'd really like a group of us to try an experiment.
If you look on the ford website it gives details of how they conducted their mpg tests.
My figures are not even in the ball park.
I'm a carefull driver, light on the throttle yet I can't come close to fords mpg's for my 1.8tdci.
Even given manufacturers tolerences we should be closer than what we are.
I would love to hand my car over to an organisation ( top gear or fifth gear tv shows ) who could mimic fords mpg tests and have a real comparison, because there is something wrong somewhere and to be honest it is not just fords.
When you consider we base our purchase on a manufacturers figures, to then not even be close is out of order.
Another idea would be to get a fairly flat motorway run of a couple of miles, select cruise, select speed to take away the drivers hoof out of the equation, reset the menu mpg and record what the car does and post it here.
Imagine if we could grow a database of similar runs from similar models it would provide a wealth of info for owners and buyers alike.
We just need someone to facilitate the experiment.

mr rugby

I have always thought that these sorts of tests were done on a "dyno" set to mimic the fact that the engine had a car attached

#27 charl

charl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: c max tdci ghia auto 1.6
Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

hi i have a ford focus c max 1.6 tdci ghia auto and at the moment i am getting about 26 mpg and slight hesitation could this be erg valve? are the symptoms a sign of this problem and where is the valve. when we bought it 2 years ago we were getting 37 mpg on school and local driving. its been to ford they replaced the mass air flow sensor, this has not solved the problem any ideas suggestions would be greatly appreciated. one thing we did notice the pipe from the air filter to what we think is turbo was loose, have tightened it now could this be causing the loss in mpg? thank you

#28 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,115 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

hi i have a ford focus c max 1.6 tdci ghia auto and at the moment i am getting about 26 mpg and slight hesitation could this be erg valve? are the symptoms a sign of this problem and where is the valve. when we bought it 2 years ago we were getting 37 mpg on school and local driving. its been to ford they replaced the mass air flow sensor, this has not solved the problem any ideas suggestions would be greatly appreciated. one thing we did notice the pipe from the air filter to what we think is turbo was loose, have tightened it now could this be causing the loss in mpg? thank you

ell first off folks forget what the official figures say as said many times these figures are gained by the vehicle being tested by ford and on that test the vehicle is driven on a test track at no more than 5 miles at at ime the rest is done in a lab those figures are based on optimum driving conditions ie the right temperature etc etc etc you drive on roads that arent flat that have speed humps traffic lights traffic ques constant stop start etc the car isnt tested in these situations example toyota prius claimed mpg 73.4 mpg top gear tested it in london 54.7mpg no where near the claimed mpg ....fords figures for combined mpg is an average of slow driving mpg with cruising on a flat track at 60mph thats all its commonly known that diesels do not make good town cars the mpg will be poor for this yet people keep buying them expecting wonders not understanding that a diesel uses more fuel around town get it on a motorway where it sits at low rpm and it will give fantastic mpg.

in short the issue isnt the figures its the fact that many people dont understand how they are worked out and dont understand that a diesel is a mile muncher not a town car.

youll find the mpg for this time of year ie longer time taken to warm up etc is about normal and the dealers will tell you the same because there is nothing wrong accelerating harshly using the brakes too much steep hills traffic speed humps wind temperature tyre pressure and weight all effect the mpg if youre filling the tank up youre using more fuel as the car is now heavier which is why its recommended you only fill the tank halfway using the radio aircon heaters etc uses more fuel the aircon alone uses 10 percent more fuel then add radio rear window demiter electric mirror demister heated front screens it all adds up guys.

also i agree cheap supermarket fuel is a false economy as they use more cleaning fluid than fuel so for eaxample you get £5 of fuel from a supermarket £1.50 of that is cleaning fluids whereas shell etc theres is more like 50p i used to use cheap supermarket fuel and i was getting 15mpg less then shell unleaded.

mpg varies all the time a strong head wind changes it instantly also the type of driver so many posts are popping up about mpg that isnt bad its just not what people were thinking it would be based on the official figures which are not real world figures i have a 1.8 petrol focus i can get 32-33mpg around town official figures are 27mpg how well i anticipate the road i change up early i dont fill the tank and have roof racks and a boot full of stuff on it and i use shell fuel during the colder months with increased warm up time i get less mpg just because the temp gauge sits halfway doesnt meanthe engines up to temp and the thermostat has fully opened if it hasnt the sensors in the engine are telling the brain the mixture ghas to be a bit richer than when its fully warm

#29 dizzy1

dizzy1

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Ford Model: C-Max 1.6 TDCi Ghia 5d CVT Auto, 2004

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:17 PM

I have a C-Max 1.6 TDCi Ghia 5d CVT Auto and im lucky if I get 28mpg.

#30 C-Max Boy 1983

C-Max Boy 1983

Area Rep: South Scotland

• PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Ford Model: C-Max Zetec 1.6 TDCI

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:27 AM

My 1.6TDCI 90BHP averages about 45MPG around down and 50-52mpg on longer drives, most of my journeys are done by my wife to her work and back, I'm getting a Tuning Box tomorrow so hopefully see a small increase, it's still more economical than my last car a Skoda Fabia vRS which was getting about 42mpg around town, sometimes dipping down to 40MPG.

I've also got a K&N filter Fitted as well.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users