#166 tealeafuk

tealeafuk

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Name: Luis
  • Ford Model: ford fiesta titanium 1.6
  • Year: 2010

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:12 AM

Hello again i've found my dealer do the switch cos i can't order it online i'm also reading you can turn esp off by the trip computer how can you do that?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#167 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Name: Gavin
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Econetic
Contributor

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:43 AM

Hello again i've found my dealer do the switch cos i can't order it online i'm also reading you can turn esp off by the trip computer how can you do that?

When you get it can you take a few photo of the front back so I can see how it connects. Want to try it on mine before I buy the switch, as I need the ESP and parking assist switch but not the airbag disable bit, and I don't know if I need to buy the 3 switch version and blank off the middle or there is a 2 switch version I can get.

#168 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,627 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

I need the ESP and parking assist switch but not the airbag disable bit,

Unfortunately that's not a combination Ford do.

You can have:
ESP switch
Passenger airbag
ESP + passenger airbag
Parking sensors
Passenger airbag + parking sensors
Coin holder

Posted Image

#169 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

Unfortunately that's not a combination Ford do.

Hmm,. Thank Nathan.

Can anyone share photos of the switch back? I don't see any reason it can't be done, It can't share common signal wires (although maybe an earth) it's a switch after all nothing complicated in it. I can 't think of any reason having front sensors should stop ESP working...

I'll have a read of the wiring diagrams later to see if the switch wiring is used and patched differently at the back end of the loom, but given Ford seem to have one loom fits all and others have the ESP already wired in seems silly.

tealeafuk Can you take photos of the switch when you get it and maybe do a pin out so I can try crossing pins in the connector. May have to build the panel myself...

#170 tealeafuk

tealeafuk

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

i will do if i do it myself but my next question is should i get ford to do it or will they be a pain? i ordered it today and they said it will be in by friday. i asked can i get you guys to fit and he said talk to another department but if you guys say they will be a pain i will just get the new part and work something else out last thing i want to do is mess this up.

#171 tealeafuk

tealeafuk

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

Right i won't be asking ford to do it for me cos i done it myself. i will say to anyone who is wanting to do this and is worried about breaking anything like i was, all i can say is follow what the people have said on here they know what they are talking about. I will say you do have to break the little plastic tab that holds the wire in place i don't know why ford have done this, the wire is there just plug it in. also when you lift the gear mesh up the plastic tabs towards the front of the car break very easy in fact if you do it with out breaking them its job well done. It's know big deal if you do break them. I'm hoping ford have my part tomorrow other wise i'm going to drive about with a wire hanging out cos i'm not taking it all off again. lol

#172 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Try and remember to take me somephotos , The Haynes wiring diagrams don't cover it so if I can see what wires the swithc used I cna see if I can fit it to my car wiht sensors, if it works then I can see about making the switches go in one frame...

Right i won't be asking ford to do it for me cos i done it myself. i will say to anyone who is wanting to do this and is worried about breaking anything like i was, all i can say is follow what the people have said on here they know what they are talking about. I will say you do have to break the little plastic tab that holds the wire in place i don't know why ford have done this, the wire is there just plug it in. also when you lift the gear mesh up the plastic tabs towards the front of the car break very easy in fact if you do it with out breaking them its job well done. It's know big deal if you do break them. I'm hoping ford have my part tomorrow other wise i'm going to drive about with a wire hanging out cos i'm not taking it all off again. lol

#173 tealeafuk

tealeafuk

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:11 AM

If i get it tomorrow i'll try to remember to take some pics for ya just hope it comes and its the right one.

#174 Colin Heath

Colin Heath

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Name: Colin
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.4 Titanium
  • Year: 2011

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Hi, I've never had a car with ESP before, can I ask what does it do, and what's the advantage to being able to turn it off? Also does anyone have an estimate as to how much Ford would charge to fit it? Only had the car 2 weeks and don't want to risk breaking bits off...

#175 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Contributor

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Hi, I've never had a car with ESP before, can I ask what does it do, and what's the advantage to being able to turn it off? Also does anyone have an estimate as to how much Ford would charge to fit it? Only had the car 2 weeks and don't want to risk breaking bits off...

See Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia....ability_control most of the time you want it on, the system will detect slipping before you can, but on snow and ice it can make it worse. You expect to slip on ice but the sytem tries to override you.

Ford will probably NOT install the ESP off button, it's a Zetec S feature and if they install it on any car why would you spend money on the Zetec package, that said it appears to be easily retro fitted, by simply installing the switch.

#176 Aldobot

Aldobot

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.25 Zetec
  • Year: 2012

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

Hi

Do all new Fiesta's come with the connection to disable ESP?

Specifically the 1.25 Zetec.

Thanks

#177 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

in my quest to have a ESP off and Parking sensor swicth I've bought the ESP off switch. I've dismantled it and traced the circuits and don't see any reason other than !Removed! mindedness on Ford's part not to have both, I have the parking sensers fitted and the ESP disable is simply a switch. This is the dismantled ESP disable switch. reverse side at the top so you can see where the circuits trace. The bit between the red squiggles on the left hand side is the LED for the system on/off on the button and the one belows is the LED for when the cars lights are on. And Yes the LED's are tiny, sub 2mm each, I'm not mioving them over thats way beyond my soldering capability. Posted Image Pinkish (1st from left) and Black (2nd form left) is the power for the lights that come on when the cars lights are on. Blue (4th From left) is a common return from the switches and lights, and Yellow (3rd from left) is the ESP disable switch pads, and purple (Far Right) the parking sensors switch pads. The other ones appear to be the airbad warning light/ switch line but as I've not got that I can't work out the wiring. Anyway I've got the switch in parts, almost, the ESP switch slides back and forth in it's housing but the two normally blanks are stick, before I attack it wiht a hacksaw has anyone else tried to get these apart? As you look at this image below the ESP is the one on the left and I want to get the one on the right out so I can put in my parking sensor switch and then solder in the pin to the purple positions earlier.and have ESP disable and Parking sensors. The rest of the switch has common parts, same rubber pushers onto the switch contact pads boit the ESP and Parking but nothing on back of the bit where the the airbag switch suggesting it needs more bits (maybe a latching switch) which tallys in with my pad comments earlier. Posted Image I can;t believe Ford have glues them in theres a little play but the one latching pin is hiding from me.

#178 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

Righty Hi.

Cold and wet and I thought I better get my finger out and put this switch in before I need it...

Looking back at the above image the parking assist has pins (from left to right) 2, 4, 7, 9 wired in so my best wiring guess.. Bold means on both switches, Red pin is present on ESP disabled switch and Blue means present on Park assist Switch

The Parking assist switch doe not have either of the resisters in though so I'm leaving well alone, I've pulled a pin from the ESP only switch and pushed it on to pin hole 3 and thats all, As far as I can tell my feeling is that the ESP LED may need differing power requirements hence the resister.

Pin 1 - Feed to the ESP Disabled Light
Pin 2 - Common return from Pin 1/ Pin 9
Pin 3 - Signal from ESP disable switch
Pin 4 - Feed to All Switches
Pin 5 - Air bag disabled light / switch (Don't have it / can't tell)
Pin 6 - Other half of 5 ie lights or switch
Pin 7 - Light to Parking Assist
Pin 8 - ???? Doesn't seem to go anywhere, can't be there for show,
Pin 9 - Signal From Parking Assist Switch

Pin 8 goes in to the blue resister at the bottom right with a circle and dot on it but go nowhere afterwards which seems really odd. It's not on my Parking assist switch and go-es nowhere near the ESP disable switch pads so I'm leaving well alone....

Anyway step 1 is done, and it's all working, I have ESP diable available and parkling sensors, As I said it looks like !Removed! mindedness on Fords part than any proper reason to sell the ESP off and Parking sensors (at least on the Zetec S model..) as options

Step 2 is getting the physical push switches apart to I can get it back in the car....Thats proving to be the hard part....

#179 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

TA DAH!!!

Sort of, the LEDS are not fitted, too fiddly!

OK I resorted to cutting apart one side of the ESP switch to get out the ESP button I wanted without damage and work out the slider mechanism. With hindsight you may be able to pry it out but it is tight and the rest of this switch was redendant anyway...

The key to all the buttongs staying (or not) is there are four half domes that act as stops in the back quarters and the "tail" in the middle at the back performs the other stop , obviously on the non existant buttons they lock in don't move, and on the moveable button they are closer together to allow sliding. Spring action is done by the rubber "contacts" bit at the front which springs out the switch and crosses the contact.

So scalpal in hand, and a bit of trepidation, I have made me a final product...

Posted Image

For anyone wishing to try once you have a switch in bits you need to cut away on the button are roughly outlined in yellow, Yes it is fiddly, take your time and do it slowly they carve away easily and then thewhole button slides outwarads to the front.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Fitting the "sliding" button in is just a case of pushing it from the back, but you need to gently flex the case to get it to go in. If I get time this weekend I'll write it up as a guide but it's of limited use as only people with front parking sensors will problaby want this.

As in the prior post, the LED's for car lighting and ESP on are not wired in, partly as it's too fiddly and partly as I'm still not sure what the "spare pin does"...

Once I fit it back to the car tommorow I'll post again, and at the very least it won't look lopsided like the steering wheel did without cruise control...

#180 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

Last post :)

Installed and working (albeit without the lights in/on it...)

Posted Image

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users