#1 yoshi

yoshi

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Name: greg
  • Ford Model: focus
  • Year: 2006

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:30 PM

I have a focus 2006 and my bonnet is not wanting to open. When i put the key in the front of my bonnet it turns left and right but it does nothing, It feels like its not catching on to anything. I have heard from a few ford owners that they know at least 2 people that it has happened too so it must be a common fault (stupid design fault). There has got to be sum sort of way of getting in to the bonnet with out paying the stupid prices they charge at ford. If anyone has any ideas please help me. Thanks.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 yoshi

yoshi

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:46 PM

I have a focus 2006 and my bonnet is not wanting to open. When i put the key in the front of my bonnet it turns left and right but it does nothing, It feels like its not catching on to anything. I have heard from a few ford owners that they know at least 2 people that it has happened too so it must be a common fault (stupid design fault). There has got to be sum sort of way of getting in to the bonnet with out paying the stupid prices they charge at ford. If anyone has any ideas please help me.
Thanks.

#3 alz

alz

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus LX 1.8 TDCI
  • Year: 2005

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:50 PM

try lifting the bonnet at the same time, it may have jammed, if that is no good,,, its only an idea, remove the small shield below the bumper, you should be able to reach the latch, its a bit of fiddle but worth having a go..

#4 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:38 PM

I have a focus 2006 and my bonnet is not wanting to open. When i put the key in the front of my bonnet it turns left and right but it does nothing, It feels like its not catching on to anything. I have heard from a few ford owners that they know at least 2 people that it has happened too so it must be a common fault (stupid design fault). There has got to be sum sort of way of getting in to the bonnet with out paying the stupid prices they charge at ford. If anyone has any ideas please help me.
Thanks.

Welcome to the forum :)

Try This

Hope you stick around long enough to tell us if it fixed your problem.

#5 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

Fix on the other thread you started :rolleyes:

One problem one thread please!

#6 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 10,097 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

Welcome to the forum :)

Hope you stick around long enough to tell us if it fixed your problem.

Keep watch on all 3 of his threads
on this topic of the bonnet lock, for more info Posted Image

#7 DanGull

DanGull

Area Rep: Midlands (Despite owning a Seat)

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170
  • Year: 2014

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

Topics merged

#8 yoshi

yoshi

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:22 PM

thanks for all the advice, i tried the long screwdriver trick, it didn't work, so when i get sum free time at the weekend i am gonna take the engine undercover off and try and get my hand it there, i might be able to have a feel around and pop something up. its so frustrating, i will do it some how. i might smash my grill and see if i can get in to it that way, a grill on eBay is only about 20 quid. i will keep you posted.

#9 yoshi

yoshi

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:24 PM

got it sorted at the weekend. i rang up ford and they said it was gonna be about 220 for them to get in to the bonnet and to fix the problem with a new grille.
i was not gonna pay 220 out, so went up north to see the family and my mum said the mechanic they deal with is good and knows his stuff, so i gave him a ring Friday he quoted me about 40 to 90 depending on what was wrong with it. i dropped the car off on Saturday morning, it was there for about 3 hours. got the phone call to say it had been done (happy days) went down to pick it up and he charged me 50 quid. he said it was just badly seized. he striped the mechanism and cleaned it then put loads of lube on it when it was back together. i would recommend this small independent garage to anyone.

GRAHAMS AUTOS
CAR AND VAN SERVICE AND REPAIR
2A, SHEFFIELD ROAD
BIRDWELL
BARNSLEY
SOUTH YORKSHIRE
S70 5UZ
01226 288633

#10 Nigel S

Nigel S

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Name: Nigel
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk 2 2.0 Zetec Climate
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

I love a happy ending.

Little garages know their nuts and bolts so they can offer a different level of service to large dealers.

#11 yoshi

yoshi

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:55 PM

the smaller garages are always the better ones. still don't have a clue how he got in to the bonnet with out smashing the grille. oh well its finally done.

#12 dgr1983

dgr1983

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Name: david
  • Ford Model: ford 1.6 zetec 2008 (face lift)
  • Year: 2008

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:59 PM

HERES WHAT HAPPENED TO ME, WENT TO OPEN THE BONNET AND THE KEY TURNED IN THE LOCK BUT NO CLICK OR UNLOCK

IF YOU LOOK BEHIND THE GRILL AT THE TOP YOU CAN SEE THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREWS THAT HOLD THE GRILL IN PLACE, THINK THERES ABOUT 5, I USED A CHISEL TO CUT THE OFF, NEXT THE GRILL IS CLIPPED IN LEFT AND RIGHT AT THE BOTTOM, JUST PULL THE GRILL TOWARDS YOU, BE CAREFUL YOU DONT SCRAPE YOUR PAINT WORK WITH THE CLIPS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE GRILL, FROM HERE GRAB THE LOCK BARREL AND TWIST IT TO OPEN, JUST USE THE BARREL AS A KEY, YOU CAN THE THEN PUT THE GRILL BACK IN, MESS ABOUT WITH YOUR ENGINE CLOSE THE BONNET AND IF YOU NEED BACK IN THEN PULL THE GRILL OUT AS THE SCREWS HAVE BEEN CHISELED OFF

THE GRILL IS STILL SECURE WHEN DRIVING

THIS SAVES YOU BUYING A NEW GRILL, NO MATTER WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO BUY A NEW LOCK, YOUR OLD ONE IS GUBBED

I WENT TO A FORD GARAGE AND GOT A NEW LOCK, IT ONLY COST 36 SO WASNT TO BAD, THAT INCLUDED FITTING

HOPE THIS HELPS PEOPLE

DAVE

#13 Barry_

Barry_

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Name: Baz
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCI Titanium

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

THANKS FOR SHOUTING!!!!

:P

#14 MickL

MickL

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Mick
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Sport
  • Year: 2007

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:03 PM

Hi all....a 'newbie' here (although have been a regular reader for a while).

I'm having the same sort of problem - my bonnet wont 'pop' when I turn the key.

I've tried the screwdriver tip but no joy there - the key just continues left & right with no 'clicking'.

I've removed the stone tray under the front of the car and can get my hand up to the black tube between the barrel and the catch mechanism but I'm at a loss to what to do next.

I need to get into the engine bay to replace a headlight bulb and I'm due to get shut of the car in the next couple of weeks - I dont want to spend a fortune at a dealer sorting this out as I'm only gonna have the car for around 10 days.

Can anyone offer any other ideas on how I can get the bonnet catch to unlock?

#15 focus steve77

focus steve77

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Name: steve
  • Ford Model: focus zetec

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:01 AM

trust me you can get your hand up there with a 10mm spanner or 10mm socket to undo the 2 bolts that hold the lock to the car, its tight but it can be done as i have succesfully done this only 2 months ago when it happened to mine,
1: Undersheild off
2: Make sure car is jacked up on axle stands (so you have room)
3: Reach up between radiator and engine block
4: Feel the 2 10mm nuts that hold lock on and remove the 2 nuts
5: Get out from under the car and you will need to tug the bonnet a little then hey presto bonnet undone...
6: Seperate bonnet catch fromk the lock removed and replace or fix....

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users