22 replies to this topic

#16 sussex

sussex

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Ford Model: Was - 1.4 Zetec / Now - 1.6 ZS

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:00 AM

Pretty sure the alloys can be bought directly from a Ford dealer.

They can but what issues would you face going from say 15" to 17" alloys on the fiesta? problems with the arches, speedo etc?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Nipz

Nipz

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Zetec MK7
Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:14 AM

They can but what issues would you face going from say 15" to 17" alloys on the fiesta? problems with the arches, speedo etc?

Surely when they make the fiesta it is made to fit 15-17 alloys? no? Or has the titanium got wider arches than the zetec (s)?

#18 KeithC

KeithC

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta 1.4 Titanium
Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:11 PM

In reality, the rolling circumference should be very near the same give or take a few percent.

According to the brochure the fiesta comes with the following tyres on said wheels.

The 15" wheels have 195/50 profile tyres.
The 17" wheels have 205/40 profile tyres.

Although the 17" wheels are 2" bigger on diameter, the profile of the tyres is less, meaning the sidewall height (from edge of wheel rim to the outside of tyre) on the 17" tyre is smaller than the 15".

The overall diameter of the above wheels including tyres is:

15" wheel and tyre diameter is 22.67"
17" wheel and tyre diameter is 23.45"

This means that the 17" wheels are 3.33% bigger diameter than the 15" wheels which makes the speedo approx 3.45% too slow.

Now that's presuming the speedo was calibrated with the car running 15" wheels and tyres. It may have been calibrated using the 14" wheels which have 175/65 profile tyres which would actually bring the percentage down as the 14" wheel and tyre combo are closer to the diameter of the 17" wheel and tyre combo than the 15".

Phew, and breathe.

No matter what official wheel and tyre combo used, the difference will be no where near 15% as stated.

Don't know how/where the 15% difference as stated early was measured, probably a sat nav unit, but that's nothing to do with the wheels or tyres as long as they are on the sizes mentioned in the brochure.

Changing to standard 15" wheels and tyres will only improve that reduction by 3.45%, nowhere near the 15% as stated.

#19 Nipz

Nipz

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Zetec MK7
Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:16 PM

So upping to 17"s wont really work?

#20 KeithC

KeithC

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta 1.4 Titanium
Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

So upping to 17"s wont really work?

Depends what you mean.

Using any of the wheel combos Ford offers will not change the speedo, mileage to anywhere near 15%. I would imagine 3.5% is the maximum difference a wheel change wil make.

Maybe he should approach the dealer and say it's nothing to do with the wheels and tyres as it clearly isn't, so they need to tackle the problem from another angle.

#21 hedgepig

hedgepig

Too much time on the boards

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.0 125 Titanium X
  • Year: 2013

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:16 PM

Afraid I have to agree with the other guys here--definitely take it to another dealer and give them the chance to rectify it.

I agree with you on two points though-

The indicator is slow to cancel when turning left--it requires quite a good turn of the wheel to make it cancel but it's no big deal is it?

I too have a rattle in the dash which I'm going to get them to check at the courtesy service.

I haven't noticed anything else about mine; I don't have the low speed problem you have but yours is a diesel and mine's petrol.

#22 shabazmo

shabazmo

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Name: Shabaz
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium
  • Year: 2009

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:03 PM

I concur with the other guys. The difference is 3.43%. This means that the circumferene of the 17" is 3.43% or 2cm larger than the 15" wheel and tyre combination. To me that would mean that your speedo would be under reading. i.e your car would be going faster than the speedo was indicating or the mileomerter was telling you.
Best way to chack would be to get hold of a SAT NAV. Some of these give true speedo and distance readings.
Let us know how you get on.

#23 poohbear

poohbear

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Ford Model: MK7 Fiesta 1.25 Zetec
Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:16 PM

To be fair, having that many problems i would have given up by now!
It's a brand new car, nothing should be wrong with it.
I would be FURIOUS if the paintwork was crap after 2 days....
I think you get what you pay for, but at 13,000, it should be better than that.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users