Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide For Focus Mk2/mk2.5 C-Max/kuga ~Elm 327 Cable And Ff2 Program

Preee

Will this work on my 2008 ford Mondeo 2.2 d

if it the elm cable you are asking about they do but some of the program is still in Russian

Civil-zz said that it could be a driver problem...altough I used the same driver like before. Problems started after Windows 7 64 bit reinstall, before it worked. Without runtimepack it wouldn't start, it is there. COM port was COM3, now I changed to COM2, same behaviour.

I think I need another driver or another laptop...but this one had a very good battery.

Another thing ovideatza! When you say "Problems started after Windows 7 64 bit reinstall", does this mean you had a pre Windows 7 system earlier? If so, PL2303 copies from China can cause problems. When Profilic (the maker of the PL2303 chips) discovered this, they fixed their drivers to not support the pirate chips. Since Win7 and later versions fetch the latest drivers from Internet automatically, you'll get the non-working drivers.

It's not a problem in WinXP, since you can keep the old working drivers. If you then upgrade to Win7, you'll get problems.

Run it in an XP emulator environment.

Use something like VMware Player.

Still down unfortunately

iam getting it ok

to all who need to recover killed adapter

This manual was made by Ittrium, very clever Russian programmer and my friend. He is developing future ELM327-compatible adapter ELS27 and software. It is double bus and has up to 2000000 speed.

Original link to Russian ffclub.ru http://ffclub.ru/topic/302511/jump_5080/?pid=14307151#entry14307151

ELM327 based adapter consists of two main parts: the controller and bridge ELM327 UART-USB, which enables it to communicate with the controller. The bridge can be of several types:

1. FT232RL (the best and most stable version)

2. PL-2303 and other Chinese counterparts

3. Bluetooth module

If the ELM327 will be stored at the speed rate on that the bridge can not work, you will get a brick instead of the adapter. But as a rule it is not lost.

The controller ELM327 is the original Canadian (very rare) or a Chinese clone. Chinese clones are further divided into those that are made on the same chip as the original (PIC18F2480) and others made ​​with other PICs

In fact the Chinese are made on firmware-based Canadian datasheet. Good clones are fully compatible with the original ELM327.

In the original ELM327 provides two recovery options adapter speed:

1. Reset all user settings

2. Forcing 9600

On this basis a recovery algorithm is written:

To restore wired adapters:

1. Check what chip is built adapter with. As for me, I met two types. If you have a PIC18F2480, then go to step 2. If you have a PIC18F25K80, then go to step 3.

2. Solder the wire from pin 6 of the controller to any ground terminal of the PCB.

This will cause the adapter force to work at 9600, ignoring what is written in its memory.

After that connect adapter to car and to computer. Connection should be done at 9600 and changed the adapter’s speed to default using the same ElmConfig, either through the terminal software(if you know how).

Then turning adapter off, unsoldering wire. Connecting again, checking the speed just stored.

This paragraph is not suitable for PIC18F25K80, because there is no pin, similar to pin 6 at PIC18F2480.The Chinese could hang this function to some other leg, but it is not possible found this.

If this did not help go to step 3

3. Solder a wire from pin 28 of controller to any ground terminal on the board. This will cause the adapter to restore default settings. Then, plug the adapter into the car and the computer. To be sure wait for 15 seconds. Turning off, unsoldering wire. Then plug, check 9600, 38400 and 115200. Typically the default speed 38400 will be set.

Sample picture

PIC18F25K80irepair_zps75410cd2.jpg

If that did not help, then go to step 4

4. Difficult. Unsolder chip PL2303 (or equivalent). RX/TX pins may only be lifted but not the whole chip to blow off. Solder PIC’s RX/TX pins to USB-UART cable based on FTDI. Connecting, restoring speed. Turning off, unsoldering, returning PL2303 to it’s place.

If this part is not feasible or does not help, go to step 5

5. Throw out the adapter, buy next one.

If this part is not feasible, go to step 6.

6. All the ashes! Sell ​​the car. :)

For the bluetooth adapter you can try step 3, or remake it to the wired adapter and restore speed similar to Step 4.

This manual is suitable for the following packages only: 28-Pin SPDIP, SOIC, DIP. For other packages it is necessary to seek the appropriate pins in the datasheet. For example in the package TQFP-44 6th pin just goes to power..

About a year ago, I bricked a bluetooth elm adapter. I tried step 2, since I read the elm327 spec, which pointed to pin 6. Then I read that there were other chips. I checked mine. It was a PIC18F25K80. I did step 3, but still I had no luck. So I read this post. Thank you Brazh!

I had a PL2303TA laying around (http://www.wvshare.com/product/PL2303-USB-UART-Board-type-A.htm) for a Raspberry Pi, so I did step 4. I de-soldered the bluetooth module and then connected ground, RxD and TxD signals from the elm chip to the PL2303 module. I managed to de-brick the elm adapter B) I spent some time doing this. Not worth it, considering the low prices for these adapters. But it was exciting and I learned a few things :P

I read the PL2303TA chip is capable of 6 Mb/s transfer rate. People at this forum tell us to get the adapters containing the FTDI chip to get the 500 kb/s high transfer rate. Well, the PL2303 chips are also capable of high transfer rates.

The speed test in ELMConfig is nice. I ran the test through the PL2303 chip. With the bluetooth module, I only achieved 38400 baud. The PL2303 gave me 256 kb/s, but it didn't pass the 500 kb/s test, even it's capable of 6 Mb/s! I think the PL2303TA supports 75, 150, 300, 600, 1200, 1800, 2400, 3600, 4800, 7200, 9600, 14400, 19200, 28800, 38400, 57600, 115200, 230400, 460800, 614400, 921600, 1228800, 2457600, 3000000 and 6000000. The TA version (and others) also support 110*, 56000*, 128000, 134400, 161280, 201600, 256000*, 268800, 403200, 806400. As you can see 500 kb/s is not there.

It looks like ELMConfig only probes for some of these values. Maybe ELMConfig is more suited for the FTDI chip? It would be nice if Civil could build in more support for the PL2303 chip. It certainly has good high speed properties. Maybe it depends on the baud rate capabilities of the elm chip? I also think it would be nice if Civil put in support for higher speeds than 500 kb/s. The higher the speed is, the lower the chance is to overflow the elm and UART buffers. Again, it could be limitations of the elm chips. It's hard to find information about this, but it looks like the PIC18F25K80 at least is very sophisticated regarding baud rates. This chip is a general microcontroller. It's the elm firmware that turns this chip into elm327. The microcontroller can have the baud rate capabilities we need, but the firmware can be the limiting factor.

I learned something, but as you see, new questions arise. If someone can fill in some holes, I would be very interested to hear from you. This might be boring stuff for some of us, but I think it's important to understand the technology to cope with all the problems people at the forum get ;)

Ok I'm able to download it from the earlier link but when I try to run the elmconfig I get component 'MSCOMM32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered:a file is missing or invalid.

Any ideas?

Ok I'm able to download it from the earlier link but when I try to run the elmconfig I get component 'MSCOMM32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered:a file is missing or invalid.

Any ideas?

take a look here http://support.arcus-technology.com/entries/259848-How-can-I-fix-the-MSCOMM32-OCX-error-

Right, i THINK i have it sorted now as it opens. I now get the option to open port or work offline??? presumably i need to be plugged into the car at this point??

Or do i just need to plug in the elm device to the laptop?

press off line and have a look around make sure you model is in the box (ie)

focus kuga. Then contect to your car to have a look around but you have a lot of reading to do did that page help that I sent about the error you were getting

Cheers mate, I've just here a total noob and not read properly!! Yeah the link gave me a start but I managed to download some files and get it sorted. Itching to get outside and play but must resist

Right me again lol.

I've got cable and got the ff2 and elm config files downloaded.

When I connect the elm to usb and obd and open the ff2 and enter my vin etc and click the online option I get an error message?

Do I need to do anything with the elm first? I have the driver installed now as I never had them first. I'm on windows xp if that helps

May sound a bit of a dumb question but that does "ffh activity display" in hec stand for ?

Also I activated autostart in KVM now I only have to press the start button not hold it down for it to start :)

FFH stands for Fuel Fired Heater.

If selected the setting "FFH activity display" shows a message on the display of the instrument cluster if the fuel fired heater is active.

FFH stands for Fuel Fired Heater.If selected the setting "FFH activity display" shows a message on the display of the instrument cluster if the fuel fired heater is active.

Gotcha

No use to me then lol

Is FFH glow plugs?

No it is the Fuel (or Diesel) powered parking heater system which was available as an option in some countries.

Ah right ta

I'm back in the game now and all up and running but I'm using elmconfig rather than ff2.

Just need to find the idiots guide for elmconfig to see what does what lol

Another thing ovideatza! When you say "Problems started after Windows 7 64 bit reinstall", does this mean you had a pre Windows 7 system earlier? If so, PL2303 copies from China can cause problems. When Profilic (the maker of the PL2303 chips) discovered this, they fixed their drivers to not support the pirate chips. Since Win7 and later versions fetch the latest drivers from Internet automatically, you'll get the non-working drivers.

It's not a problem in WinXP, since you can keep the old working drivers. If you then upgrade to Win7, you'll get problems.

It was a driver problem, switching between 2007 and 2008 versions and back +restart solved the problem.

up249766_RR9NPCi.png > i.imgur.com

Regarding PTC (car has PTC):

- if I enable PTC (status report only) from HEC page 1, I get a message on display saying PTC on or off, depending of PTC's status.

- also, the message comes with "info" led on, and it is shown in the "message" section of the cluster.

3uHgqVgl.png

1. If I don't enable it in HEC, it will continue working (I guess it will, because it didn't had this option ticked and VIN decoding says it has PTC)?

2. Is there other option to see if PTC is working or not, not as a message shown always on display, perhaps as a submenu?

1. If I don't enable it in HEC, it will continue working (I guess it will, because it didn't had this option ticked and VIN decoding says it has PTC)?

2. Is there other option to see if PTC is working or not, not as a message shown always on display, perhaps as a submenu?

The PTC status report setting has no effect on the PTC heater functionatity. It has only effect on the message on the instrument cluster display.

The PTC heater status can only be checked by the warning message on the instrument cluster display. if you click on the set/reset button on the indicator stalk the message goes away. There is no possibility to show the PTC heater status as a submenu.

ovideatza, glad to hear you fixed the driver problem :)

Regarding the PTC question, I got the impression that you want see while the the heater is active, not just query the status momentarily. Well, the message stays in the display while the PTC is on and disappears when it switches off again. At least that how it works in my car. It will be overwritten if new messages appears, but the info LED will stay lit. I think you can fetch the old messages in one of the submenus as well.

Just out of curiosity, I see you have ticked a few options which I have not. Was they ticked "as-built"?

• "Water in fuel" sensor
  • ESP misbuilt detection
  • Fuel cap sensor
  • Focus RS

None of them was ticked "as-built" on mine. Do you think any of them could be useful for me? :P