Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Towing Angle?

pmsansom

Hi guys,

I had a towbar fitted yesterday on my 57 plate ford s-max. Hooked my trailer up and was just a bit concernd about the towing angle. (see attached pic).

I've no previous experience of towbars or trailers/towing so just wondered what the consensus was.

Is this ok? Can/should anything be changed?

Thanks

Pete

post-32570-0-27053100-1335367714_thumb.j

In a ideal world the hitch should be level, can the ball be dropped some tow bars have multiple positions for the ball

Ideally it could do with being lower, however as long as its secure, then there should be no real cause for concern.

Hi I used to tow a caravan. Your trailer does look a bit too high. You can purchase a lowering plate from most caravan accessory shops. I arranged my vans to be slightly down hill on the tow ball. I like a bit of weight on the tow ball about as much as a heavy suitcase but read what your car manual specifies. Remember to keep an eye on your speed and watch for any 'snaking'.

Hi the tow ball height should be between 350mm to 420mm ( 13.8" to 16.6" ) measured from the ground to the centre of the ball with the car fully laden. Be carefull with drop plates as all new towbars are of a specific design and will weaken it if a drop plate is fitted, check with your towbar manufacturer first. Hope this is of some help. Dave

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club