Show
Photo

Focus Door Mirror Puddle Lights

Focus Door Mirror Puddle Lights puddle lights Ford focus mirrors Retrofit retro fit

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Haz93

Haz93

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Name: Harrison
  • Ford Model: KA Mk2 + Audi A5 Cabriolet
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

Okay so on my travels through the world wide inter-web thingy I have stumbled across some cheap parts for what could be an interesting retrofit project. Basically the components to create puddle lights in the wing mirrors as follows:

http://www.fordparts...06924_c_683.htm
http://www.fordparts...75129_c_683.htm
http://www.fordparts...75130_c_683.htm

The cost works out at £25. I can imagine it requires the mirror unit to be removed to cut out the hole, then running some wires to the control unit.
I have noticed before that there is a square marked out on the underside of the unit for the puddle light unit so would just be following the lines.
Any feedback welcome, not sure if I will go along with this, but as money is tight and I really want to have a go at some sort of car based cheapish project. if those words can be used in the same sentence :P

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,967 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:43 AM

the cut outs there the wires are run inside the door through the rubber grommet into the wing then spliced into the side indicators easy job i havent done it as i cant be bothered faffing around with the car right now

#3 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,216 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

Okay so on my travels through the world wide inter-web thingy I have stumbled across some cheap parts for what could be an interesting retrofit project. Basically the components to create puddle lights in the wing mirrors as follows:

http://www.fordparts...06924_c_683.htm
http://www.fordparts...75129_c_683.htm
http://www.fordparts...75130_c_683.htm

The cost works out at £25. I can imagine it requires the mirror unit to be removed to cut out the hole, then running some wires to the control unit.
I have noticed before that there is a square marked out on the underside of the unit for the puddle light unit so would just be following the lines.
Any feedback welcome, not sure if I will go along with this, but as money is tight and I really want to have a go at some sort of car based cheapish project. if those words can be used in the same sentence :P

sounds good mate,
and for that price you cant go wrong really,
a dremil would be the ideal tool for cutting you the squares and some 5smd 6000k led bulbs would look sweet,
as previously said on here the loom is already run through the grommet so no worry about fishing cable through the door or anything.
a guide would be good too mate

#4 renz2012

renz2012

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: chris
  • Ford Model: focus zetec s
  • Year: 2011

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

did you ever manage this I was thinking about doing it to my 2011 Focus Zetec S ? not sure if it would be a " Plug & Play " job tho

#5 Steven33

Steven33

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Name: Steven
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Does anyone know if its easy to retrofit the focus with puddle lights? i.e. is it a case of buying the lamps in the above link and plugging them in? think it would make a nice upgrade!

#6 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

as said you have to cut the wing mirror to fit the surround the wiring goes through into the door grommets then passes to the internal grommet where it runs up the a pillar and splices into the interior light so it goes on and off with the interior light

#7 Steven33

Steven33

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

so it would be a case of splicing wires? just thought maybe the connector may have been sitting in the wing mirror housing unconnected

#8 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

not that im aware of though some mondeos have them as standard if you found one in the scrappy you could trace the wiring and remove it

#9 Haz93

Haz93

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Name: Harrison
  • Ford Model: KA Mk2 + Audi A5 Cabriolet
Contributor

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

The only focus that comes with them as standard is the RS!!! No Idea why because if I owned one it wouldn't be parked anywhere you would need puddle lights

Think they come as standard on the new focus titanium x and st models

The wiring will probably need to be custom, but as I didn't do too much research into it I don't know what factory wiring is there already. There is an option to turn puddle lights on in the GEM module

#10 Steven33

Steven33

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

hmm, i think i was too hopeful thinking it would be plug and play, wouldnt want to start messing about with the GEM

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Focus, Door, Mirror, Puddle, Lights, puddle lights, Ford focus mirrors, Retrofit, retro, fit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users