#31 Mathrin

Mathrin

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec
  • Year: 2012

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

Non-Ford related here; my dad had someone cut across the front of his car scraping the bumper, so my dad pulled him over to ask his details of which he refused and as my dad took the registration, he set off and ran my dad down, injuring his foot and pushing him into the motorway. He claimed he didn't see my dad due to the rain (likely story) but accepted liability as he'd clearly done it; nearly 2 years on (maybe a week off 2 years) and still the case hasn't been resolved. Anything that can be done here really? We want to avoid going to a 'no win, no fee' thing, as some physiotherapy (very little) has been provided and there have been trips to private doctors over the injury, and we don't want to end up paying out for that but it's getting beyond a joke now.

Thanks.

Honestly? You should really be talking to your legal cover regarding this. If you took his reg down right, insurers can get your policy number + insurer instantly. If you have injury, you should have notified your insurer when reporting and then they would have instructed any legal cover for you. This could end up being Kindertons, Minster Law, or any number of solicitors firms that we keep on retainer for business. If liability is in dispute - which is sounds like it is - we can only do so much. Due to a person being unable to be issued on more than once for the same incident, we are entirely at mercy of your legal protection. Your injury payout will dwarf the vehicle repairs, and as such we tend to agree to the principals of the MOU and abide by the decision of the courts on the injury aspect.

Short answer - Solicitors, they are your friends in this case. We play second string to them in these events

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#32 Mathrin

Mathrin

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

But you also put the registration number and, as said above, that should be enough to find any factory fitted options surely? Like for example if you choose the 1.6 engine over the 1.4 in the titanium, that will be known to insurers and doesn't have to be declared as a factory option.

No - Car data checks on registration provide minimal data to us. VIN numbers, make, model, colour, engine size, engine type and the standard dimensions of the vehicle + its avg weight.

#33 Stuartmfc

Stuartmfc

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta metal

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

When I pick up my new car do I tell my insurance company bout my added extras like stop start button Sony dab tint windows?

#34 Mathrin

Mathrin

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

When I pick up my new car do I tell my insurance company bout my added extras like stop start button Sony dab tint windows?

Yes

#35 DanGull

DanGull

Area Rep: Midlands (Despite owning a Seat)

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170
  • Year: 2014

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

The way to look at it is that if you have to ask if you should mention it - you should mention it.

#36 jimrex

jimrex

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 572 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: 2011 Mk3 Focus, 2009 Mk7 Fiesta
  • Year: 2011

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

If one would need to declare factory fitted options, there must surely be thousands driving around with them undeclared...

For example, I have a Focus Zetec with the Appearance Pack (Privacy Glass and 17 inch alloys)... so these should be declared over a standard Zetec with normal windows and 16 inch alloys by what has been said above.

I wonder how many people load up a car with options and not think about that? I certainly didn't!

#37 Mathrin

Mathrin

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

Its a very big problem. A lot of the time we will overlook it if its factory fitted and ask for additional premiums, etc. If its clearly obvious you've added like, a spoiler - not so much. I think every insurer handles it differently

#38 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,706 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: 2011 Fiesta Titanium Auto

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

I wonder how many people load up a car with options and not think about that?

or even buy a car not knowing that some of its features are actually additional options and not just standard on that model.

#39 Marcr1

Marcr1

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: S1600

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

My first car was a mk6 Fiesta which I bought brand new and was a special edition. The model was a style "summer" as it was known, it came with privacy glass and an aux

Posted Image

I tried explaining this to the insurance company and they couldn't find it on their records so just put it down as a style.

Cut a long story short someone crashed into me and wrote my car off and all money was paid out fine,

There's so many different "rules" when it comes to insuring cars, like a mine field

#40 Jwsturner

Jwsturner

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Ford Model: MK7 1.6 TDCI Titanium 5 door
  • Year: 2009

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

Although my insurance company requires me to declare extra factory fitted options, I only found out by chance as they did not ask me outright. I was asked if the car was modified. A very misleading question.
It is also very unfair for the insurer to expect the buyer of a secondhand car to know if the car has factory fitted extras especially when manufacturers often add items to the standard spec during a cars production life.
If this info is so important to insurers then it should be their responsibility to check the manufacturers build records (such as Ford Etis) to check that they are charging correctly for the cover required, or these options need to be listed on a legal document such as the V5 and passed on to consecutive owners.
If my insurer wants to void my policy over undeclared factory extras, then I will see them in court.

My brother use to work for CIS insurance. They make it the owners responsibility so when it turns out there are mods to the car, they don't have to pay out. Unless your an expert or do some research prior to purchasing the car, your not going to know its had mods. And they've got you.

#41 Jwsturner

Jwsturner

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Ford Model: MK7 1.6 TDCI Titanium 5 door
  • Year: 2009

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

I currently pay about 450 for my insurance (2009 1.6tdci Titanium, 39yo, clean licence).

I used the moneysupermarket app to do some quotes.

Same car coming out at 584
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 V8 350bhp 666
2007 Audi RS4 4.2 V8 420bhp 624

Re-quoted my car with the mods I've made (ZS front lip and rear bumper and spoiler) 800

Even a Lexus IS-F 5.0 V8 450bhp is under a grand

How does that work then?

#42 Mathrin

Mathrin

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

Sorry for the lack of reply, ended up sat in front of the NFL all night last night...

From what I can tell - Cars with a body kit are more appealing to thieves. Also, body kits do, unfortunately in many insurers eyes, indicate the sort of driver you could be. It's stereotypical, it's not always correct, but it puts you in the boy racer category and then an exponentially higher risk to any insurer than someone who isn't into that sort of thing.

#43 HA06ZZA

HA06ZZA

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Name: Harrison
  • Ford Model: mk7 fiesta mountune replica

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Alright mate great topic!

I'm on traders and I think I can only have 1.4 and below because I am only 19 but do you know the absolute limit? Could I have a 1.4 turbo? Thanks H

#44 Mathrin

Mathrin

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Its completely down to each insurer I think - I've seen some people with 1.8l engines and 3k premiums to match them - but if they're happy to pay...

#45 Steve

Steve

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,938 posts
  • Ford Model: Kugy
Contributor

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

Owners Club Insurance offers up to 15% discount to club members and deal with modifications as its administered via Adrian Flux.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users