TurboZed

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Name: poo
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk4 ghia, Mondeo Mk2 TD Ghia
  • Year: 2001

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:06 PM

Hi Guys!
The Mrs has just bought a T reg Fiesta Ghia that has a front suspension rattle on both sides. It happens mainly at slowish speeds on roads that have a slightly rough surface. I jacked up the front and had a look and both the front CV joint boots were split and quite dry, and also the rear bushes on the wishbones were split. I have fitted new CV joints and replaced the rear bushes. It drives alot better now, but the rattle is still there. Is this a common problem? I'd really like to cure it because other than that car runs like a dream.
Thanks,
Jim

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Deano_365

Deano_365

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Finesse 1.3 LX
Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:50 PM

I had a similar problem with my (S) reg.

The first thing to consider, if your 100% sure the problem is with the front suspension is, does the Fiesta still have its origanal front suspension springs and does the fiesta have alot of miles on it. If its a yes to both, i would replace the springs.

If your not 100% sure, theres two other areas worth having a look at..

1) Just check both brakes on the front for any sign of damage or even a slight warp in the discs. (normally if the brakes are warped the steering wheel will shake/vibrate when braking)

2) Get you tapets re-ajusted, because belive it or not they make one hell of a rattling noise when they are unset.

I checked these areas on my car and they cured the problem.

Hope this was useful. ;)

#3 TurboZed

TurboZed

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Name: poo
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk4 ghia, Mondeo Mk2 TD Ghia
  • Year: 2001

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:50 PM

I had a similar problem with my (S) reg.

The first thing to consider, if your 100% sure the problem is with the front suspension is, does the Fiesta still have its origanal front suspension springs and does the fiesta have alot of miles on it. If its a yes to both, i would replace the springs.

If your not 100% sure, theres two other areas worth having a look at..

1) Just check both brakes on the front for any sign of damage or even a slight warp in the discs. (normally if the brakes are warped the steering wheel will shake/vibrate when braking)

2) Get you tapets re-ajusted, because belive it or not they make one hell of a rattling noise when they are unset.

I checked these areas on my car and they cured the problem.

Hope this was useful. ;)

Thanks for that. the car has done 48k miles and it has a zetec engine fitted (hydraulic tappets??) the springs look fine, I did check them as I have changed many springs on mainly Fords and Vauxhalls in my mechanic days (why is that? can't ever remember changing one on a rover or a vw etc....). the brakes are fine, pull up evenly and smoothly, it looks like it recently had new disks and pads. I thinking drop links? the reason been it seems much worse when one side of the suspension moves more than the other, if you hit a speed cusion so one wheel goes over it and the other doesn't at about 15 mph theres a hell of a loud clunk.
Cheers
Jim

#4 mickk

mickk

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk4
Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

Could it be the front stab bar bushes ? You get a real rattle when they are worn.

#5 Russ

Russ

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.4i zetec

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for that. the car has done 48k miles and it has a zetec engine fitted (hydraulic tappets??) the springs look fine, I did check them as I have changed many springs on mainly Fords and Vauxhalls in my mechanic days (why is that? can't ever remember changing one on a rover or a vw etc....). the brakes are fine, pull up evenly and smoothly, it looks like it recently had new disks and pads. I thinking drop links? the reason been it seems much worse when one side of the suspension moves more than the other, if you hit a speed cusion so one wheel goes over it and the other doesn't at about 15 mph theres a hell of a loud clunk.
Cheers
Jim

If it was the drop links theybe be broken, try checking the lower arm ball joints, they clunk when you hit a small 'divot' in the road at low speeds.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users