Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,404 posts
  • Name: Charlie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 115BHP
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Ok guys,,,, here goes, feel free to let me know if i've missed anything.

Looking at this 330720499654 (ebay item numbers) if someone could tell me how the hell I get a link thingy I would be grateful :-)
to fit it all in snug as a bug also eyeing up this 400337316359
I know if I want the reverse camera im going to have to buy it seperate, but are they all the same fittment, connector wise at the rear of the hedunit. Thanks in advance, Mike.

Right mate concerning the link, just click the URL (web address) of the page you want to link, right click, copy, then right click n paste into your post in the forum lol. If this is what your doing, I dunno what's going wrong?

Anyway

Concerning the head unit, that seems to do everything you want and it's a known brand so you should have no problems

Concerning the kit, that's what you need yes. But don't order from them as I can better it with this:

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2649

Exactly the same kit but 10quid less. Same one I got. All you do is include a message to the seller n say you want it for a JVC.

Concerning the camera, as far as I'm aware they should all be the same fitment. In my case, I bought a random head unit, and a random camera n it plugged straight in. So far as I know, all the rear camera inputs should be the same.

Do you know if the JVC you linked does have an input for a camera though? I can't see where it says it does in the listing. It should have seeing as it's a touch screen. But yes if it does have an input for one then it should be the same and shouldn't vary head unit to head unit

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Mike77

Mike77

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Thanks mate, Ive just sent them a message about the camera, and they say it 'HAS' got a connection for a camera, and they sell them too!!! Have you wired yours in yet, as im imagining its going to be quite an indepth job ? Its a choice between the JVC and this
http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649 this being slightly cheaper. What do ya think,,,, oh and thanks for the help with the links lol.

#18 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,404 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

If they've said its got a camera input then your all good. I haven't got round to fitting mine yet no. Yes your right in saying it's a pretty in depth job. It is pretty much straight forward but it's just the fact you gotta route the wire from the boot lid into the car via the rubber conduit then all the way through the car to the back of the head unit lol so it's pretty involved but easy enough.

Regarding choosing out of the 2 head units you've linked, personally I'd trump for the pioneer. But then I am bias as it's exactly the same head unit I've got lol except it has bluetooth also. If you look in my signature, I've written a guide on fitting it so your installation will be exactly the same. Only difference is you'll also have the mic to install for the bluetooth.

#19 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,404 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

Oh one thing I will point out though which might sway you to the jvc over the pioneer. Reading the jvc specs, it appears to have a rear usb input. Which means you could neatly route an ipod wire though the dash discreetly into the glove box out the way.

The pioneer doesn't have a rear input, only the usb on the front. So if you want to plug your ipod in, you'll have to have a wire dangling out the front which if your fussy you'll find this really annoying lol.

Concerning the jvc seller saying they sell a camera, if it's a universal one, ie will fit any car, you won't want to go for it. As you will have to cut a largish hole out your boot lid trim to fit it.

Where as the one I got, is made the exact shape of a ford focus number plate light, and has an LED number plate light built into it. So what you do is remove a stock number plate light, wire the light on the camera in n it neatly replaces it, while retaining the number plate light function as normal. So theres no need to cut any holes in your car.

#20 Mike77

Mike77

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

Yes they said they had a camera,,,, its not a nice fit like yours, and its 120 quid lol. Did you order yours from China ??? I'm pretty much in the know on the fitting side of things just wanted to make sure I have everything I need first so I can get cracking on boxing day haha. I don't use I pod things, just use a USB stick, but the rear USB was swaying it for me too. Thanks again, you've been most helpful ;-)

#21 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,404 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

I was looking at a pioneer own camera for around 120quid also, but I really couldn't justify it lol especially when I'd have to cut a hole to fit it. So I just went for a cheap china camera for 15quid. Can't comment on it much yet till I fit it. But the quality does look decent.

You could get one of these, still quite cheap at just under 23 quid

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item416e69f5c1

Which is actually wireless, so you won't have to route the wire all through the car so it'll save you a bit of work

I would of went for this, But I can only seem to find it in black plastic. I proffered the look of the one I went for as it's clear so looks more like a stock number plate light.

If you don't use an ipod n you'd only use a usb stick, it shouldn't really bother you that much having the stick sticking out the front of the head unit as it ain't that big. It just depends on your personal needs really whether you really want a rear input that much. Personally I wasn't that fussed.

The main reason the pioneer sold it for me over the jvc etc was that it didn't have a big volume knob sticking out of it like the jvc does. This was paramount for me n you'll see why if you read my faceplate guide

Oh and if you buy the kit I linked for 63quid from dynamicsound, it will definitely include everything you need to fit the head unit in one complete kit.

#22 Haz93

Haz93

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Name: Harrison
  • Ford Model: KA Mk2 + Audi A5 Cabriolet
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

You could just get a Chinese one off eBay for around 200 quid with no extra wiring needed or facia adapter kit. May not have the best sound quality but can't be worse than the standard one plus you would need to upgrade the standard speakers to get the full use from the pioneer/jvc etc ones

Will work out cheaper and look better IMHO

But it is up to you mate :)

#23 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,404 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

I've heard bad things about the china stereos haz mate. Unless you mean the OEM looking ones that are a direct replacement that I linked previously? They might be alright. But stay the hell away from the likes of xtrons lol.

If you don't like fascia adaptors, you could get a new head unit surround that I've also previously linked. It has a smaller, actual double din sized hole in it so the head unit will fit snug in the hole with no fascia adaptor required which yeah will look better.

My personal situation though, it worked out better having a fascia adaptor.

I must say though about the sound quality, as soon as I connected my pioneer, the sound out of the stock speakers was instantly a whole lot better. It really uses them well quite dramatically. And when I tested the dvd player, it really was like sitting in the cinema (be it with a tiny screen) in terms of sound quality, proper surround sound.

#24 Haz93

Haz93

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Name: Harrison
  • Ford Model: KA Mk2 + Audi A5 Cabriolet
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

Fair enough mate, tbh with the mk2 having a square stereo as standard a double din looks pretty neat, just think the facelift oval one would be a step backward if it was changed to a square one.

I am suprised about the stock paper cone speakers but if you did for some aftermarket fibre glass ones bet the sound will be double the quality again. Just got to be wary that if the upgraded unit has a higher watt amp built in it may eventually destroy the stock speakers over time.

Yeah was on about the oem fit ones, would never think of buying a Chinese one instead of a well known brand such as pioneer but I just wish they would make the oem fit ones cheaper. There is an oval facelift shape pioneer one going for like 800 quid on eBay :S

#25 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,404 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:20 AM

I know mate, when I got my car I wished it come with an oval head unit, and contemplated getting upgrading to an oval sony n getting the oval surround. But then I thought If I am gonna upgrade, I want it to be to a touch screen. Then looking around, if you want a decent aftermarket touch screen, chances of getting an oval one are very slim unless you pay silly money for a zenec which is close to a grand.

So it's a good job mine did come with the square head unit as apposed to the oval. I do agree though swapping the oval for a square does seem like a step back. But then I think I'm not really that fussed about the shape if if I'm easily getting better features like touch screen n reverse parking camera. Oval would have been nice but not for the silly money they want for it.

Like I said before, you could get an oval shaped fascia adaptor which builds out from the square to an oval so you keep your existing surround. I know it's not the same though.

I still say my sound quality from the stock speakers seems instantly better from installing the pioneer. I am thinking about upgrading my speakers, but I'm in no rush.

#26 gforce

gforce

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Name: Gary
  • Ford Model: Ford Mondeo ST 2.2 TDCi

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

I've heard 'Zenec' mentioned a few times now and came across this recently if anyone's interested...

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f1f83cb52

About a year old but half the price of a new one.

#27 Terry Focus

Terry Focus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Hi there, im new to this forum and this is my 1st post, I need help with my sat nav/ tv/ dvd
Ford car system please.

I have one of these

http://www.car-visio...-bluetooth.html

And the sat nav suddenly stopped working after the digital swithover scheme, does the gps connector get effected by the aerial?
Or
Does the sd card need updating?
Many thanks look forward to ur reply

#28 Mike77

Mike77

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Hi there, I'm no expert on this, but I wouldn't have thought it would be the aerial, as ppl didn't need to change their house ones to receive freeview digital reception. Maybe needs an update like you stated. Hope someone with more experience can point you in the right direction.

#29 Mike77

Mike77

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Hi there again Brigante,,, could you tell me how long it took for your camera to arrive ??? Looking at the same clear one you linked for me, but some of the feedback about comms and time taken to arrive are kinda putting me off ? But on the other hand, I really want the fitted one, so I don't have to start messing round finding somewhere to put it. Gone off the idea of a wireless one, as Ive asked a few questions to sellers about them, most are showing a 10m 'no barrier' range, and with the recievers being stashed away in the tailgate and behind the headunit, im unsure weather the reception/pickup will be strong enough. Sellers aren't exactly filling me with confidence with their replys, so think i'll opt for a wired version, and route it through the car. Any info helpful as im going to have to get a wriggle on with the ordering so it will be here for Christmas. Cheers mate.

#30 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,404 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Hi mate

It did take a little longer than stated yes and the seller didn't seem that helpful when asked about the delay.

It states on the listing, delivery to the UK will be 10-18 days.

On the 20th day, we contacted the seller. They're reply was 'Delivery can take 10-18 days. Please wait more days'

When it had already been more days longer than stated but they was talking like it hadn't been the 18 days yet.

I think it then turned up about a day or 2 later. So it took about 22days in total. Which is long considering I've ordered things from china before which have turned up in about 9 days.

But then I've had things turn up after a month so even longer than 22days.

All I can say is, if like me you would rather have the clear one to look nicer and as realistic to a licence plate light as possible, over the black plastic one, don't let the possibility of taking a few days longer to arrive put you off.

Point is, it will turn up. Be it a few days late, you'll get it so it'll be worth it. Never no, you may get lucky n the post be really good n it turn up in 10 days.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users