Show
Photo

Focus 2007 1.8 Tdci - Slowly Falling Apart?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Ford Model: 2007 Focus 1.8 TDCI Titanium

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

Anyone quote a few rough prices for me?

Replace and sync a new display cluster with my car. Buying a salvage speedo and want it fitting with correct mileage.

Dual mass fly wheel replacement (this is a job I am convinced is going to hit me soon)

Timing belt change

Wheel bearing replacement

Last job is a clicking noise when I turn the engine off, not sure what it is but sure someone said EGR valve related too me.

Thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 talksy

talksy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.8 TDCI 2009
  • Year: 2009

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

Anyone quote a few rough prices for me?

Replace and sync a new display cluster with my car. Buying a salvage speedo and want it fitting with correct mileage.

Thanks

I may be wrong, but I thought it was only possible to correct up. Ie if you get a replacement cluster with 45k on it, and your car has done 35k, you will not be able to have the mileage put down, it is only ever able to go up.

Would be interested on any bearing quotes as I am sure my rear bearing is on the way out and I have only had my car for around a month used from the dealer. Tempted to get in touch with them as I have platinum warranty, but I am guessing they will fob me off and say it is wear and tear, even though I have done about 1.5k since purchase!

#18 Pitmonster

Pitmonster

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: 2006 Mk2 Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec (Climate)
  • Year: 2006

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

Just had my Dual Mass Flywheel replaced at my local Fird dealer.

The job involved the DMF, clutch, and hydraulic clutch slave cylinder (which does the job of the release bearing)

The price incl vat and labour plus 12 month warranty on parts & labour was 1030

#19 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

Jesus, that's a lot :o A3 DSG was that price @ Audi.

I pray mine is fine and I don't get hit with loads @ once

#20 Pitmonster

Pitmonster

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: 2006 Mk2 Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec (Climate)

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Did the Audi price cover all those parts, or just the DMF?

We discussed this on the forum and concluded is was a very fair price for a main dealer.

A DMF on a a mate's Shogun costs 1600.
That's just for the part - excluding labour - and just for the DMF, not the clutch

#21 talksy

talksy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.8 TDCI 2009
  • Year: 2009

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Did the Audi price cover all those parts, or just the DMF?

We discussed this on the forum and concluded is was a very fair price for a main dealer.

A DMF on a a mate's Shogun costs £1600.
That's just for the part - excluding labour - and just for the DMF, not the clutch

If Audis and similar cars (with regard to engine size) have failing DMFs at similar mileages/ages to a focus then yes it does sound like a fair price. But not such a fair price if the trusty focus requires DMF replacement at shorter intervals than other cars. This has had me quite worried. Every gear change and hill start I do now, I am extra careful!

#22 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

I sold my Audi as didn't want to get it done, it had just been recalled and had all injectors replaced and maybe that price quoted was a good will for the recall. But previous to that I had it in for a DMF and they said it was fine so I questioned this quote and was told it was their opinion and they would only know once they dropped the gearbox.

It drove fine so was a big gamble to me.

When should a DMF be replaced on a focus?

#23 Mike77

Mike77

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:46 AM

The dmf should be replaced with the clutch, so if that's on its way chances are so is the flywheel. Mine needed doing a few months back, I got the parts myself and all in all cost me about 400, and I still thought that was expensive lol. Saying all that, my car is on 111k and it was its first clutch and flywheel, so a new one will outlast most owners in terms of how long they will actually keep the car.

#24 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

Clutch is fine on my focus like I just it was on my Audi . but i hear a similar rattle when starting and it and a tech did a start/stop sequence about a dozen times with the key for the Audi diagnosis so will try that see if I can hear it rattle when spinning up.

400 I would happily pay. I paid 300 for a fiesta clutch years ago. I am going to just get it in fords for its oil change and then ask about timing belt and DMF.

My car was only 4 years old with low mileage when I got it and I have doubled it with motorway miles so the clutch should of had an easy life. Least I hope it has

#25 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
Contributor

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

i can tell you for a fact for a 1.8tdci mk 2 cluster...revs go to 6k, and has a small green screen in the middle at bottom and the two fuel and temp guages in the middle will cost around £700 at dealers for a brand new and programmed one. i broke mine so i had to get a new one and thats how much it cost.

the reason it costs so much is because part of the immo circuit goes through the speedo and the keys will need reprogramming for it. i learnt all this the hard way! lol

you can get your clutch and dmf done far cheaper if you source the parts and ring a few local garages up and play them off each other to price beat. i can remember when my clutch went in my peugeot. cost £130 or so for all the parts and another £120 labour...they tend to give loads of discount if you offer to pay cash in hand etc.

#26 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

Can I not get a salvage 1 and get it fitted and programmed cheap? I have seen them for 50-150. Anymore than that I will just put up with it.

#27 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

you could, but you would need to find one with less mileage than yours. that does not have the same issues as what you are getting. you will also need to pay a ford dealer a visit to get them to reprogram the immobiliser and keys as well as the BSI etc. just not a simple plug and play im afraid.

does the needle sit at just below 0 when the engine is off? if so i would begin to look at the circuit that powers the rev needle. it could be a fact the sensor or wiring is knackered and will be a far cheaper alternative.

#28 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

and from past experience finding a decent salvage one thats has less mileage and in better nick is like looking for hens teeth.

#29 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

No it sits at a random spot, I have technically fixed it now. Basically it went round to 5 or 6 and that was where it stayed, start engine it would jump another number then move with the revs and stay that way.

I remove it to try check wiring and cracked the plastic, stuck a piece of wire in and pushed the needle back to 0. Been working fine ever since and glued the small crack so I'm happy for now

#30 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Just been on the phone with ford customer relations.

Stressed my concern with 2 issues on my ford; the display speedo cluster & timing belt change.

Was told that there isn't a common fault with the display cluster and they only go off ford repairs/diagnosis not forums or independent garages to which I replied ford are not going to have a record as most people will react like myself and refuse to pay the 600+ replacement cluster and labour charge with fords therefore no recorded repairs.

2nd issue was my car was serviced and was advised timing belt and pulley is fine plus other issues I had a concern about like a wheel bearing and DMF. I asked what happens if I take fords recommendation, eg the 125k/10yr timing belt advise and it snaps. Was told its only a guide to which I said but independent garages recommend 80K which is a big difference and again was advised they only go of fords guidance so back to my original question; what happens if I take fords advice and they are wrong.

She is speaking to a technical manager and told me I will be contacted before end of working day Friday. Interesting to see if they help with either issue, guessing I shouldn't hold my breath.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users