60 replies to this topic

#16 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Ford Model: 2007 Focus 1.8 TDCI Titanium

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

I hope so too, it just seems to much of a coincidence.

It's never been like this before, never had any problems with it really. I have had a couple of cold start problems. 1st time it starts it cuts out and then starts second time but sounds a bit lumpy cause of the cold but warms up after a few revs and its fine. I assumed that was because it needed a service but told it might be a faulty heater plug or 2

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Don't think the heater plugs would cause it to cut out when engine was relatively warm and it didn't sound cold or anything when I got in it this afternoon but just cut out without warning

#18 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,579 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

I hope so too, it just seems to much of a coincidence.

It's never been like this before, never had any problems with it really. I have had a couple of cold start problems. 1st time it starts it cuts out and then starts second time but sounds a bit lumpy cause of the cold but warms up after a few revs and its fine. I assumed that was because it needed a service but told it might be a faulty heater plug or 2

common rail engines are a bit better for cold starting without needing glow plugs but they do still need them for when its very cold outside. so yes you might find that a set of new glow plugs will sort this issue out.

if its all started since the service, the obvious parts to inspect are those disturbed since the work was carried out

was it serviced with genuine or aftermarket parts?

#19 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I hope it is, I ill update thread tomorrow once I know. I just really hope it's cheap.

I will stick new plugs in it tomorrow too just to make the starting easy with this cold weather.

That AA man was convincing though drawing a little diagram of this gear for the pump and how the pin was snapped. Lets hope he's wrong :)

#20 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

As for the parts, I would hope genuine since he charged 170+VAT. It's a Bosch garage so should be genuine but I will ask

#21 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

Came back to the garage, he wants to charge me 60 an hour to diagnose it or just change the pump which I waiting for a price for now.

#22 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

A grand to fix it :-/ new pump for 490 and labour plus change cambelt whilst the cover is off!

This isn't right this, I'm sure there is air in the system from the service. Considering this garage said my coolant was weak, air con wasn't cool and brake fluid needed changing. All of which was done a 2 months ago and verified back at that garage it seems a dodgy garage here

#23 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,579 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

A grand to fix it :-/ new pump for £490 and labour plus change cambelt whilst the cover is off!

This isn't right this, I'm sure there is air in the system from the service. Considering this garage said my coolant was weak, air con wasn't cool and brake fluid needed changing. All of which was done a 2 months ago and verified back at that garage it seems a dodgy garage here

I would get it recovered to another garage for another opinion personally.

#24 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

How weird is this, my dad turned up said I will have it running in 5minutes. Towed my brother 200yards and it starts on its own now.

Bit strange this after been asked 1000 for cambelt and pump. I have just took it on motorway and put injector cleaner in.

Went back to garage and was told it shouldn't start and he was saying maybe the AA or RAC let air in the system when testing it but my point is they was only testing it cause it wouldn't start in the 1st place.

I am at kwik fit now and I trust these guys, they are going to change my anti freeze for peace of mind and check the filters.

I am really unsure what to do now, had today off work but need to commute to Wales again tomorrow but I'm worried my car is faulty

#25 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,608 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

You have some sort of breakdown package which is the key factor at this time. The odd start scenario is certainly a reason to worry, but I would say just drive it, if it fails, it cant be helped, maybe get it recovered to another garage, or Ford, and see what they say. £1000 seems FAR too steep, even by dealers standards!

#26 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Yes but I need to upgrade it so I am covered nationwide.

It's running so that's a good sign, fords are booked until next week but said use it if these is no faults.

Big test is will it start in the morning.

It's shocking how someone was going to take 1000 off me and my dad who isn't even a mechanic started my car instantly.

#27 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

I did take out an extended warranty with warranty wise recently but cancelled it as I didn't feel they would honour any claims.

I am about to ring up and upgrade my AA so they will bring me home and not local if something happens again. Given that my car appears to be fine now and it's running if I upgrade to the repair cover (500 max) would they honour any repairs if something happens again?

#28 Pete80

Pete80

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 259 posts
  • Name: Peter
  • Ford Model: Ford Mondeo Titanium X
  • Year: 2007

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

My father had a similar problem, his was an air lock in the fuel system, he was told this was probably caused by a diesel pump that hasnt been maintained properly, he has since changed to another petrol station and had no other problems since (touch wood)

#29 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

My father had a similar problem, his was an air lock in the fuel system, he was told this was probably caused by a diesel pump that hasnt been maintained properly, he has since changed to another petrol station and had no other problems since (touch wood)

It was actually shell where I filled up. I hope the problem has now gone away, I guess i will know in the morning when I start my car after its been stood over night.

I think this AA cover will help me out, £150 and I get everything including a 3day hire car and £500 towards repairs. Hopefully I never use it but it would of cost me £150+ just to get my car recovered yesterday so its something I am willing to pay, not paying some company like warranty wise £500 for a similar cover.

#30 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

use quidco or topcash as if you get your cover thru them you get some cash back and i got £45 from RAC. i dont renew, just start a new account everytime.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users