60 replies to this topic

#31 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Ford Model: 2007 Focus 1.8 TDCI Titanium

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

I'm soo annoyed. My car worked last night, started at half 6 this morning and got me to Wales and just did the exact same thing as Tuesday.

Pulled out of the bay and it cut out and won't start again :@ pump can't be gone as its been working so the AA man was wrong but what else could it be

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#32 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,103 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

You waiting for the recovery truck now?

Its hard to help without knowing error codes... Can you do the dashboard trick now and see what codes come back?

#33 dogdays1

dogdays1

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Esate 1.8 TDCI

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

I sugest it either had a blocked fuel filter or was not primed properly when they changed the filter. You can check the pump pressure using the obd port when the car is running.

P.S heavy handed fitters can strip the thread on the bowl causing an air leak.

#34 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

There is no dash warnings. I am not stuck thank god, squirt if easy start and it fired right up and made the 60 mile journey home.

Been to the garage they have refitted the filter with a new seal. Hopefully this does it now, it's running again.

#35 dogdays1

dogdays1

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

Sounds to me that you will be OK now. The TDCI 1800 gives no warning on the dashboard for low fuel pressure, it just will not start, then try again later and off she goes as if nothings wrong.If you have a lap top you can buy a simple OBD cable like the ELM on ebay. You can then check these things out for yourself.

P.S Did the AA check the fuel pressure when he came out?

#36 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

I hope it is OK now, I have stopped and started a few times now and its had 30-60 mins rest before I tried it again. But it did this yesterday and started this morning in freezing temperatures after being stood over night and got me to wales.

I won't get the cable until next week and would have to borrow a laptop but I think I may order 1 at weekend if it still has issues.

Yes he checked it and said it was 18 but the RAC man never said anything about it. The AA man said it was the pump and a pin had snapped so I was going no where and he wasn't even pointing to the pump, he was pointing to the spider shaped rail that files the injectors, point is if it was gone then how have I done 200+ miles since.

I just wish it was sorted as its causing issues with work and I am debating on just selling it now.

#37 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Can you link me to a good cable and do I need software?

Will they work on OSX or is it Windows only

#38 dogdays1

dogdays1

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

I use the ELM 327 Interface which I bought on ebay. You will need a program for the computer which has to be I think a windows machine. The program I use is Easyobd. You down load for free the simple version ( V2) to make sure it works. Once you prove it can connect OK to your car you pay a small license fee and upgrade on line( V3) to increase functionality. It works fine on my laptop and I have connected to various cars.
It tells you such things as the temperature of the coolant, the Inlet boost air pressure and temperature, fuel flow and pressure, alternator output and of course the sensor performance and any stored engine fault codes. It can read a heck of a lot more but the Ford Diesel is quite a simple car really. You can then go online and see what the warning code relates to ( there is a list of Ford codes). Frankly you need this sort of device to diagnose faults on modern cars as its all electronic these days. All modern cars have obd sockets on them, the Fords is underneath the steering wheel to the right. You cannot miss it.

Good luck and keep us all posted

#39 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

I am thinking one of those devices may become useful but my machine has been on computer 3 times and hasn't shown a single fault code.

I went out before to try start it and it started, I really don't want to have to pay a lot for repairs or sell my car. I do too many miles to maintain a new car so really need to get another 2 years out of my focus

#40 Andy H Dibley

Andy H Dibley

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Name: Andy
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2008

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

Someone more clued up on modern Focus dervs - Do they have a pump in the tank or just one in the bay?

Just wondering if you may have an intermittent fault with it being supplied to the bay and the engine driven pump?

#41 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

Pretty sure there isn't electric pump in the tank.

The engine driven pump was what I was told was to blame by AA but he was pointing to the distributor pipes. I can't see it being the pump as if the gear was broke then it wouldn't work at all.

I had the seal done again and the filter primed and worked last night.

Started again this morning in -1 1st time and got me to Wales.

I don't know what to do

#42 dogdays1

dogdays1

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

No its a mechanical pump on the 1800 situated left front on the engine. The other thing worth thinking about is the fuel pressure sensor that gives the signal to the ECU. Thats why I say you need to connect up when running to check the pressure it should be around 1600 bar. Much less and she wont start. I wonder what sort of guy your AA man was!!!

#43 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

I will see if it starts now, going to go out to it and test.

Do you think it could be a sensor then as opposed to the actually mechanics of the pump? Sensor sounds cheaper.

#44 dogdays1

dogdays1

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

A sensor will certainly be cheaper but you need to find the fault before throwing money about. How many miles has this car done? Anyway, before you get involved with rocket science lets see if a filter air leak or air-locking has been the problem. If all else fails you could have a talk with your Ford service agent if you still have problems, though they charge £80 to do a test.

#45 mkelbie

mkelbie

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

It's done 89,000. I'm 2nd owner and I got it 12months/30K+ ago.

It just got me to McDonald's for lunch so it didn't mind starting today. Maybe it was leaking air and now it's sealed

Next time it does it I'm going fords and will gladly pay the £80 if they tell me the fault

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users