Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.8 Tdci - Wont Start And Stuck Away From Home

mkelbie

If it kicks in when the turbo should be spooling up then I'd say it's a turbo fault, if it's once the engine warns up then I'd say EGR.

Tbh I'd get codes checked with Ford as their diagnostics probably go deeper than Halfords. (dedicated system as opposed to a generic one).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mkelbie

• dogdays1

• stef123

• jeebowhite

I don't think its turbo because (don't quote me on it) but if it a turbo has gone then surely its gone? Wouldn't work for 10 minutes then play up again then work?

Only time noticed the power loss was actually when the dash says Engine System Fault

AA checked it and there was no fault code, I will try explain to Halfords I'm not paying for them to tell me nothing so it may be worth going Fords then, I can still claim a repair but AA pay Halfords direct so through fords I would pay 1st.

That's if the claim is even valid.

What sorts of problems can you get with EGR and is it expensive to clean/repair?

If I were you I would get some injector cleaner, put it in the fuel tank then give the car a good belting down a fast road not sparing the revs. I suspect its your egr valve sticking but cannot be sure. If you only use the car for short Journeys and drive carefully the Ford diesels do not like it and act up. Ford ecu error codes are not very good and an engine light on does not always register. You really need to be connected up when driving the car under hard loading to get a true picture of whats happening. If the egr needs cleaning buy some egr cleaner and squirt it in via the maf sensor pipe where it joins the inlet manifold. Get someone to hold the revs at 1000 rpm whilst you do the squirting. Th engine revs will go up and down but don't be frightened. As for Halfords, are you sure they are the people to find difficult faults on a modern engine.

It gets 120miles a day on the motorway so there shouldn't be a build up.

I may try the cleaner and a hard drive. Only reason I chose Halfords was its AA approved. They sort out the warranty claim direct so I get my car repaired and no messing about with payment.

Fords would be the best so I will see what gets said in the morning @ Halfords and if I don't think I am getting anywhere I will go fords.

Halfords have just phoned me. Said they have found what they think was the problem, glow plugs putting the car into limbo mode hence loss of power.

They have done a road test and are doing a 2nd one to confirm it but they think its sorted now. I hope it is but I didn't think glow plugs would cause loss of power? I thought they would cause start problems so can anyone confirm or offer an input?

Thanks

There was a bit of a debate a while back regrding glow plugs, I was under the impression that modern systems like ours, the glowplugs are not just there for starting, but also the will continue to operate while driving to burn off excess fuel to reduce emissions. From what i've now learned from here is, I was correct, BUT they only operate for up to 5 mins after starting (basically until the choke would be warm enough to shut off) then they are not in operation. Mine did throw up a light, and did suffer from the 'limp mode' situation, but upon checking mine, all 4 had given up the ghost. I was also getting ploom's of smoke from the back on the first start of the day, and this also took longer to start than normal.

The thing I couldn't understand was this,,,,,, if the glowplugs only operate for 5 mins max after startup, why would the car go into limp mode for this problem if it was at operating temp, which would mean the glowplugs were redundant at the time, so shouldn't be sending any info to the cars brain to trigger the light ??? Guess I'll never know, but what I do know is, once new ones were fitted, my problem was gone, and all has been good since.

How many miles has your focus done? It does look like its glow plugs for me which is why am I confused as I thought the same, they only operate until the car warms up.

Mine has done 97k now and it was perfect when I got it last year with 53k. All off 2012 it was flawless. Only spent on services and discs/pads. Just this year alone I've had 2 pipes split on me, it was airlocked and wouldn't start and now this glow plug issue.

It's due an oil change, wheel bearing on both front wheels, cam belt and tyres. So it may be time to let it go :-/

I really do not see what glow plugs have to do with things once an engine is running. I have no doubt a glow plug had failed but once an engine is running they do not come on again, nor are they needed till its cold. Sounds like tosh to me!

If you sell cars every time they need a set of tyres, a simple wheel bearing, or cam belt you have to be very well financially found.The Endura engined Ford diesels can do very high mileages without problems. Mine has done 165,000. It has had one cam belt and new rear suspension bushes plus the usual brake parts. It still does not use oil and goes like a rocket. If only a new Ford still had this engine, not the Puegot diesel.

I didn't think they did anything once the car was running but even fords have confirmed the power loss could of been the plugs. Car started perfect this morning, didn't throw any smoke out the back or tick over lumpy until warm. Drove 60 miles to work and no issues or loss of power. Hopefully it's all sorted then.

It's not that I want to sell because it needs a bit of maintenance, it's just it's reaching 100k and as it is now its a good buy for an average driver but the high annual mileage I do it will have another 30K+ on it next year so Im just a bit worried it might not be up to it anymore so not spending money on it and I should sell it now.

A diesel will happily do twice that mileage and still keep going.

If it can its very tempting to keep it. I have seen some Toyota and Honda petrols pass 200K. My car isn't too old and I'm 2nd owner so for its first 4 years it did 10-12K and I know since then I have serviced twice a year and the miles I've put on it are from motorway driving.

If it runs fine now for a week or 2 I will get the cam done and look at the wheel bearings another time, I actually think the AA warranty covers the wheel bearings and since I didn't claim on this recent fault (plugs = serviceable so I paid the £60) I am not in any cooling period so if the noise gets worse and the bearing needs replacing hopefully they can do it for the £35 excess

• 2 years later...

Hi can anyone help me please

My car stop working won't start looks like no fuel getting to engine it cuts out in firth gear

Jade

your are better off starting your own thread instead of piggying on the back of this one

also, put as much info as possible about your car and what happened.

More information please, does not start and cut out in ___gear? Have you had the fuel filter change? Is the engine turning over without the usual resistance to the starter motor?