#16 thunda600

thunda600

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Name: steven
  • Ford Model: focus 1.8 tdci
  • Year: 2008

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Gave it a good boot up the !Removed!, needs a good boot to get it to go ur its not running good , almost like a rasping sensation when accelerating its hard to explain it just feels like it doesn't accelerat smooth like somethings blocked. I feel like when we got the car it was quiet and smooth but now its noisy and stutter feeling . Gave it a good booting a few times but no luck .

I used a can of wynns egr cleaner , plenty black smoke but still no luck with performance .

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Mike77

Mike77

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:17 AM

A blocked cat maybe then ???

#18 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,283 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

You can't even blame it on a dpf either.
Maybe the EGR needs cleaning through too.
Try some BG244 in your fuel, it's about £19 a can off eBay but does exactly what it says on the tin.
You could check silly little things too, tyre pressure and wheel alignment can make a car feel sluggish as well.

#19 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

What springs to mind is the car driven in the same way as before in the same conditions?

Has the car got the same amount of weight in it?

As others have said, tyre pressures, brakes binding, can cause lack of performance/ economy

the car has a DMF, when its on its way out you can loose performance

Deisels can take ages to warm up and longer in cold conditions and often drive like a "bucket of bolts" when cold  

problems with the thermostat / coolant system often do not show up in fault codes, because the ECU percieves that as the (extended) warm- up phase

deisels are less efficient untill they are warmed up, the most efficient temp for economy is 195F

on top of this the temp gauge is "docktored" by Ford on many models (to read wrong) because of punters thinking/ complaining  the temp was reading too high or low

As others on the forum have said, the CAT can get blocked up, especially if the car is driven gently too much or is producing a lot of smoke

The EGR valve can choke up the valve housing and the inlet manifold with carbon deposits/ gunge, this is even if it is working "perfectly" with no fault codes etc

Cleaning the inlet manifold / EGR housing of carbon/ gunge is not part of the service shedule (although it shpuld be) and in my opinion, EGR valves/ systems should not/ have never been fitted to diesel engines, (EGR means Exhaust Gas Recirculation)

If you fit a solid, stainless steel EGR blanking plate (you can pick one up online for about a fiver) (there are "how toos" elswhere on the forum) and clean out your inlet manifold that may bring the car back to how it was

Without the EGR (with the egr blanked) it may run "cleaner/ less smokey" - so that when you "boot" it, it helps to clear out/ unblock the CAT, if the CAT stays blocked, the answer is to fit a decat

Finally, how do you drive the car?, if you change up too early or too late, the engine won't be on its operating range/ powerband - i have to ask, sometimes it sounds like members only use 2 gears, 1st and top, and then complain the car is sluggish,exept they don' explain its  when going uphill in top gear at 30mph!  :lol:

#20 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

good point Foca. when i drive my car i notice that its very sluggish in 4th at 30mph so drive it on 3rd at 30mph and in 4th if doing above 35mph and wont go into 5th until i am doing 50mph.

if your CAT is blocked then get it decatted as this will make a big difference.

for the EGR, i have created a guide on here on how to add the blank - 20 mins to do.

#21 thunda600

thunda600

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Attached File  IMG_0786.MOV   4.92MB   56 downloads

Added this attachment , the cars sounding noisy top end not sure if its all related

Attached Files

#22 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

Hard to tell from the video, but it sounds a bit "tappety" ie - valve train/ top end wear/ engine wear

Was it ever run dry of oil/ not had an oil change for a long time or is ever thrashed from cold?

like i said its hard to tell and otherwise sounds healthy - and  these engines can be noisy/ rattly  

#23 thunda600

thunda600

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

its never run dry, i just bought it last year and its just had another service.

just seems noisy compared to when i got the car feels like an old taxi cab lol

i think im going to sell since im unhappy driving it now, need to get it valued.

#24 thunda600

thunda600

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

Ok so im going to try and get a garage or mobile mechanic to check the engine noise and see what they think, can anyone  recommend me anyone near rosyth,fife.

#25 focuscolin

focuscolin

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Name: colin

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

Try a can of bg244 pro diesel cleaner with a Fresh tank of shell or bp posh diesel made a huge difference to mine hope this helps.

#26 thunda600

thunda600

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

can it be the standard she diesel

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users