Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,496 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

how long did it take Richard, and how did you find being on the greasy end of the motoring rather than the desk end?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 richardc316

richardc316

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Name: Richard
  • Ford Model: Mondeo
  • Year: 2000

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Probably just over an hour in total. I was taking it slowly trying to make sure I did everything right. I left it draining for a good 15-20 minutes, the majority flowed out in less than a minute, but then there was a slow trickle and then dripping for ages. It was a bit of a struggle getting the filter off, it's not in the most accessable of places, but eventually I managed to get it to turn using all my force! (I'm not very strong). I quite enjoyed doing it actually, it's a nice feeling to know that you've done it yourself. I'm looking forward to doing it again next year, lol.

#18 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,051 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Probably just over an hour in total. I was taking it slowly trying to make sure I did everything right. I left it draining for a good 15-20 minutes, the majority flowed out in less than a minute, but then there was a slow trickle and then dripping for ages. It was a bit of a struggle getting the filter off, it's not in the most accessable of places, but eventually I managed to get it to turn using all my force! (I'm not very strong). I quite enjoyed doing it actually, it's a nice feeling to know that you've done it yourself. I'm looking forward to doing it again next year, lol.

You mean its a good feeling to know its been done right :lol:

Well done mate, top job.

#19 BigD

BigD

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Name: -
  • Ford Model: -
  • Year: Non

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Thing is, if it's been done by a garage before they will have done it up as tight as possible, which is very, very bad, because it gets tighter still with the heat.

The proper way is to do it up to the correct torque with a torque wrench, that way it won't be such a cow to get off next time.  When I first did mine shortly after getting my mondeo last year, I had to put the 36mm socket on an 18-inch breaker bar.  Could not budge it with a standard ratchet driver.  Needed to be uber-careful with the filter housing only being plastic.  Blooming Ford, should have provided a metal one.

Oh, and by the way, you really should be changing the oil every 6,000 miles or so.  Don't just do it once a year.  Mine's actually at about 12k now and long overdue - got the stuff but I have a bad back, shoulders and legs and have all sorts of trouble getting under the car to do it (and moreso, getting back out again).  But I will do it if it kills me, rather than pay a garage for the privilege.

Edited by Stoney871, 05 March 2013 - 05:23 AM.
minor swear word

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users