• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Name: steve
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium mk2.5
  • Year: 2010

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:15 AM

thanks Dan

Ive already gone an ordered red mist now :unsure: , i always thought this would be ok for a quick shine after a wash.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#1067 Mark M.K

Mark M.K

FOC Supporter

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,467 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.6 Fiesta Titanium

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

You will get around one month of protection from Red mist. But it is mainly used for a top coat sealent.

#1068 Sam C

Sam C

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Name: Sam
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi Mark VII
  • Year: 2011

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:10 PM

I would defiantly clay. You will be very surprised at the amount of rubbish the bar will pick up on a new car. If you plan on using Poorboys, there glaze, i think its Diamond White is very good. As is there glaze for dark cars. I think you could possibly miss out either of the SRP or Glaze though. If your looking to mask swirls then SRP is an excellent filler.

The car was delivered yesterday; I gave it a quick wash last night was amazed how much stuff is on the paintwork already so I will definitely be claying it this weekend before I wax it. I have just ordered some Dodo Juice Purple Haze, Bilberry's wheel cleaner, Poorboys wheel sealant and a new drying towel to top up my ever growing detailing box. Hopefully the nice weather will hold out till the weekend so I can get stuck into it on Sunday.

#1069 mitch84

mitch84

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

hi

thanks for the reply s about red mist , i actually emailed dodo juice about the product and below is a bit from the email

It is actually better to use it as a standalone product after washing, than after wax. It is effectively a spray wax (technically a spray sealant) so it can interfere with fresh waxes or sealants. Hence why best used INSTEAD of a wax, or as a post-wash protectant.

#1070 DanGull

DanGull

Area Rep: Midlands (Despite owning a Seat)

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170
  • Year: 2014

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:36 AM

Well - Dodo know their products better than me, that's for sure.

I am confused as to why if it's better to use it without wax - their pro waxes contain many of the ingredients from Red Mist.

If you're after a stand alone spray, for me I'd be using Duragloss Aquawax, but I should also say that I'm allergic to Red Mist, it irritates my skin.

#1071 mitch84

mitch84

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:36 AM

Hi

Well ive got Red mist tropical now so when i next wash my car i will test it out, i will post back with the results.

cheers

#1072 Bashful

Bashful

• PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1l 125ps ecoboost
  • Year: 2013
Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

They did say 'fresh' wax, so perhaps they assumed it was going on straight after as opposed to waiting a few hours

#1073 Mark M.K

Mark M.K

FOC Supporter

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,467 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.6 Fiesta Titanium

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

When i asked Dodo about applying Red Mist, they told me to try and allow 24 hours between wax and red mist. But it can be applied after 2-3 hours if you are short of time. Just dont apply it right after waxing as it will take it clean off again.

#1074 Chris 65

Chris 65

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Fiesta

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

Mother's car care products must not be available in the UK, but here in the States, I swear by their cleaner/polish/carnuba was trio. They also have something call Showtime Instant Detailer that's great for sprucing up the slickness of a recent wax job.

#1075 KeithC

KeithC

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta 1.4 Titanium
Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:21 AM

Christ, the paint on Fords is awful.

Orange peel and super soft.

Spent all weekend and half of Friday getting the Fiesta ready for winter. All wheels off, cleaned front and back, polished and two coats of Collinite 476 and wheel wells cleaned and protected.

Snow foamed, washed, rinsed, clayed, washed, rinsed, tardis, washed, rinse, Iron X, washed, rinsed.

Engine bay, cleaned and protected the plastics.

Then the fun bit (not!!!) Masked the whole car then got to it with Porter Cable with swirl buster 6" pad and a 4" sonus cutting pad and Menzerna Intensive Polish to get rid of all the swirls, micro scratches that the stupidly soft lacquer seems to attract. Only good point about it being soft is it's easier to clear the scratched. A coat of Meguairs #7 Show Glaze and then finished off with Collinite 476 with 2 coats to roof and bonnet. (pretty much had enough by then).

Done all the plastics, grille, diffuser, mirror housings, trim and splitter with Black Wow.

Absolutely knackered and back to work this morning at 6 and doesn't feel like I've had a weekend off.

Must say though, the car looked immaculate, lovely shine and reflections that are only spoiled by the orange peel and much better than when it was delivered 2 and a half years ago, non of the dealer monkey scratches on it now. trouble is, will be filthy again in 2 weeks.

22 micro fibres, 4 Terry towels, 2 drying towls,5 application sponges left on the line to try and dry out as it was raining this morning when I got up but at least the Fiesta was beading lovely and I'm impressed with the Black Wow on the trim, that beads lovely too. B)

Only got to do my BMW with it's notoriously hard paint this weekend (weather permitting) then that's it, all ready for the winter.

#1076 Sam C

Sam C

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:06 AM

I gave my car a clean and a second coat of wax this weekend and the weather turns almost immediately. Great! I've been impressed with the Dodo Juice wax I bought; its a bit harder to put on than Poor Boys Natty Paste that I usually use, but it seems to last longer and the paint work feels really really smooth. Hopefully it will see me through for a while until it needs doing again.

My paint has a fair few swirl marks in it, but I'm not surprised given the way it looked like it had been cleaned when I took delivery. Luckily, on a white car it doesn't really show up.

Keith what BM have you got? The paint on my E46 was pretty tough. There seem to be a few issues with the paint on the E9x's though. On Pistonheads there are a few people who have refused new M3's because of the orange peel effect on so much paint. Which isn't great on a 50k car. I seem to recall BM blaming it on the change to more eco friendly paint.

The paint on my Fiesta is ok, no orange peel but it does seem a bit thin in places like the corners of the spoiler and around the sills. It's a bit poor considering how much Ford think its ok to charge for the car these days. Don't get me wrong, I really like the car but I struggle to equate the quality with the price tag.

#1077 KeithC

KeithC

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta 1.4 Titanium
Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:56 AM

I gave my car a clean and a second coat of wax this weekend and the weather turns almost immediately. Great! I've been impressed with the Dodo Juice wax I bought; its a bit harder to put on than Poor Boys Natty Paste that I usually use, but it seems to last longer and the paint work feels really really smooth. Hopefully it will see me through for a while until it needs doing again.

My paint has a fair few swirl marks in it, but I'm not surprised given the way it looked like it had been cleaned when I took delivery. Luckily, on a white car it doesn't really show up.

Keith what BM have you got? The paint on my E46 was pretty tough. There seem to be a few issues with the paint on the E9x's though. On Pistonheads there are a few people who have refused new M3's because of the orange peel effect on so much paint. Which isn't great on a 50k car. I seem to recall BM blaming it on the change to more eco friendly paint.

The paint on my Fiesta is ok, no orange peel but it does seem a bit thin in places like the corners of the spoiler and around the sills. It's a bit poor considering how much Ford think its ok to charge for the car these days. Don't get me wrong, I really like the car but I struggle to equate the quality with the price tag.

I have an E46 M3. The paint is tough as teak and flat and is in better nick, well was till last weekend, than the Fiesta's. I've read lot's of stories on the E90 series about orange peel and people who have gone to the length of having the whole car flatted to get rid of it. I think the eoc friendly paint has a lot to do with it these days, another thing the !Removed! tree huggers have ruined for us. ;)

I know what you mean about the Fiesta's paint regarding being thin. Just a light blow on the engine bay etc, it should be painted properly, as should underneath the bonnet and rear hatch shuts, but I suppose that's robots and time and motion for you.

#1078 Sam C

Sam C

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:52 PM

I think the E46 and E39's were the last proper BM's, when they still felt built by engineers, not accountants! They are also two of the best looking cars they ever made in my eyes (especially the M versions).

The paint on my fiesta is a bit disappointing in places and I think the white makes it worse. Especially for the price. I do really like the car, as I said before I just can't equate the actual car to the price.

My car seems to have stayed quite clean today despite the spray. The Dodo Juice seems to be a pretty damn good wax.

#1079 Griff9967

Griff9967

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Ford Model: 1.0 EcoBoost 125bhp
  • Year: 2014

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:10 AM

Hi guys
Had my fiesta just over a year and I have some/ lots of white marks left by the polish I've used on the plastic trim do you have any advice for getting it off?
Cheers Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

#1080 lucaskennedy265@icloud.com

lucaskennedy265@icloud.com

LK265

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Name: Lucas
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.25 Zetec - Frozen White
  • Year: 2013

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

Hi Matt, I would recommend Autoglym trim and bumper gel, works every time!

Good luck, Lucas

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users