Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk 7 MPG

Chris Ecc

Mk 7 MPG  

476 members have voted

1. 1. What MPG are you getting out of your Mk 7?

• Petrol: 20-30 Mpg
    • Petrol: 30-40 Mpg
    • Petrol: 40-50 Mpg
    • Diesel: 20-30 Mpg
    • Diesel: 30-40 Mpg
    • Diesel: 40-50 Mpg
    • Diesel: 50-60 Mpg
    • Diesel: 60-70 Mpg
    • Petrol: 50 Mpg + (Really...)
    • Diesel: 70 Mpg + (Really...)

Drive at 55 and never brake, soon see you into the 80s but that'll still only be instant, average will be lower when you take the lower efficieny around the town

You'd have to be dedicated to get mega results. The figure below is my average, unfortunately I had a few rough weeks before I complained at ford, they remapped it and wouldn't you know it, mpg is much better. Still, that month saw some sub 50mpg results so it wrecks my average.

Drive at 55 and never brake, soon see you into the 80s but that'll still only be instant, average will be lower when you take the lower efficieny around the town

You'd have to be dedicated to get mega results. The figure below is my average, unfortunately I had a few rough weeks before I complained at ford, they remapped it and wouldn't you know it, mpg is much better. Still, that month saw some sub 50mpg results so it wrecks my average.

Your average is currently my best-ever one off :P

For the past month I haven't gone above 60, massive improvement on mpg :D Also just used 10 tanks of V-Power, now on my first of 10 Fuel-Save and will see if there's any difference.

Just did a drive from Cardiff Bay to my house in Newport. Thought I'd share my results.

The car is a Zetec S 1.6 Petrol

3 Passengers with a combined weight of roughly 40 Stone.

17.6 Mile trip, ~90% Motorway/Dual Carriageways

Average speed showed as 58mph, I tried to stick to 60-65mph on the motorway, and 30 on normal roads.

The computer showed average from Cardiff bay to the end of the motorway it averaged 54 MPG, peaking at 57.3 MPG on a downhill part.

The entire journey I averaged 53 MPG. Which I thought was pretty good! Was a dull drive though.

I normally average ~38 MPG at the start of a month (when I have money) then 40-43 MPG towards the end of the month (can't afford petrol ah!)

Most my driving is short, urban trips.

I'm moving over to Shell for a few months to see if nath is speaking the truth, question is do I go normal Shell or the posh version? And is the extra cost on the posh one worth the gains in the long run. Nath have you done the math on the posh stuff?

I'm moving over to shell for a few months to see if nath is speaking the truth, question is do I go normal shell or the posh version? And is the extra cost on the posh one worth the gains in the long run. Nath have you done the math on the posh stuff?

My average over 10 tanks in a row of Shell V-Power is 57.8 mpg. My lifetime average is currently 54.5.

Give me 11 weeks and you'll have an answer on 10 tanks of Shell Fuel Save (regular) ;)

Haha good times, I've planned my route around a Shell garage to work so will await with baited breath

Picked up a year old Zetec 1.4L Diesel with 7000 miles on it at the end of last week, currently on my work commute it’s averaging 63mpg and on a weekend blast up and down the M1 of about 100miles it managed 61mpg. I’ll add to the poll and add some extra thoughts once I’ve put a whole week’s worth of driving on it, loving it so far after switching from an Aygo.

My average creeping up from 57mpg to 60.8 at moment. Been using Shell v-power or BP ultimate after 1st 3 fill ups. Best return was 65mpg over 500 miles. And that wasnt motorway cruising. Just cleared 3100 miles so expect average to increase a little bit yet.

Well after a week of driving I'm rather pleased what the car is telling my MPG wise, on a weeks worth of commuting ( just under 200 miles ) it's managing just over 63MPG and on this weekend's runs it currently over 64MPG, most of my driving is on empty countryside A roads with a little bit of dual carriageway mixed it. So from a weekly running costs point of view it's going to be the same or slightly better than the Aygo was while having more room, a vastly higher level of equipment and is loads nicer to drive :)

Does anyone take into account their current average mph when reading their mpg?

According to my trip computer I am currently on 57mpg with an average mph of 29.

This is from my last fillup with Asda Diesel. I always reset the trip computer after every fillup & this is the best mpg so far.

Even BP Ultimate from a couple of months ago didn't get this high.

Of course Summer driving always returns better figures than Winter driving anyway.

Does anyone take into account their current average mph when reading their mpg?

According to my trip computer I am currently on 57mpg with an average mph of 29.

This is from my last fillup with Asda Diesel. I always reset the trip computer after every fillup & this is the best mpg so far.

Even BP Ultimate from a couple of months ago didn't get this high.

Of course Summer driving always returns better figures than Winter driving anyway.

My spreadsheet account for everything! And Mikester can verify ;)

My best ever is 62.3mpg with average speed of 38mph.

Indeed, its very detailed. Includes stuff mine doesn't as well.

If you're not handy with excel you can use spirit-monitor.de to track your lifetime average (see my sig and naths)

Nath can you PM me hove you work out global avg mpg over several sheets accounting for entries that are not yet present ie if">0" The method I'm using gives a different mpg to spirit monitor :(

This thread had a bit of a trim?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've not really monitored the mpg from my 5 door 1.25 Zetec but, before my last top up, the fuel light came on with 50 miles left and by the time I had got to the Shell station, the miles left were about 40. I filled up with 39 litres of Shell Fuel Saver - I stopped filling when the pump gun cut out, so tank not full. Today, after 373 miles which comprised of 90% m'way driving at a steady 55 to 60 mph, and 10% going through town to home address, the fuel light came on again. This was over a three week period and my daily journey is 24 miles round trip.

Over the three weeks of driving at 55 to 60 mph (mostly 55), the mpg read out was showing 47mpg but, when I worked the mpg out using ' mpg calculator' with 373 miles and 39 litres as my base figures, my consumption was just 43.48 Miles per Gallon, 6.5 Litres per 100km and 15.39 Kilometres per litre.

I suppose 43.48 mpg is ok but the car was showing 47mpg with the odd 46.9 and 47.1, so how accurate is the Fiesta MPG read out?

On previous 'fill ups', when I could be bothered to calculate it, I was getting around 45 mpg and I was doing various speeds in excess of 65mph and sometimes 70+, so I feel the mpg should have been better with my speed at 55mph. In fact when I was doing around 65mph, the mpg actually did climb to 49+ on occasions.

I'd welcome any comments on this please.

Overall, I am very happy with my Fiesta and have had no real issues with it since the 1st October 2010 registration but, at some point over the coming months, I'd really like the bonnet alignment sorted out. I.e. gap between nearside headlamp and bonnet edge when compared to the offside at the same point, is almost touching. BTW, I did mention this issue to the dealer when I took delivery of the car and at least thre times since but i just need to make a firm appointment to have this rectified, if it's possible?

The trip comp on any car is never as accurate as simple maths, it doesn't take a lot to note down the trip mileage on your fuel receipt before resetting so you can create a more accurate log. If you were to do this you'd be in a better position to evaluate the efficiency of your car. ie try using different fuel, drive differently, not use any nod cons etc

In the end though using a 1.25 for motorway regardless of how fast you drive will never be fuel efficient.

As for the bonnet, why go to the dealer?! That's like raising a warranty claim because you're headlights are too dipped... there are bump adjusters on either side of the engine, just let one of them out until you're happy with the level. It's so easy.

As for the bonnet, why go to the dealer?! That's like raising a warranty claim because you're headlights are too dipped... there are bump adjusters on either side of the engine, just let one of them out until you're happy with the level. It's so easy.

No no, that is a warranty issue.

The adjusters are for minor adjustments in horizontal reach, but my fiesta had also a bad alignment one week after delivery and that was caused coz the hinges weren't properly screwed. The one on the right side (seen from front of the car) was tightened bad and it made the hood shift diagonaly, so closer to the right light (touching) and a gap on the other side (room for one fat finger).

Is simple : a new car with bad alignment (of anything) ... is a warranty claim.

The dealer will fix it for free (coz it has to be correct).

Just monitored my MPG over 282 miles.

Ave Speed 29mph

Trip computer says 55.9 MPG

The actual maths says it was 54.36 assuming when I filled it back up I put in exact amount of fuel as last time.

Sainsburys fuel.

Used Road trip LE app for my iPhone. Very good and user fiendly

Quite happy with that. :D Been driving in accordance with the green change gear arrow, more or less-ish. Bit dull though, but given price of fuel now, something to be considered.

• 1 month later...

I have a 5 door Zetec 1.6 95bhp model, and I've had it 6 weeks now and done 2500 miles and averaged 55.6mpg according to my spreadsheet. This is mostly on the M5 with a bit of urban driving at both ends. This car seems quite sensitive to how fast you drive it. If I cruise much above the legal limit it starts drinking quite a bit more heavily.

The last two cars I have had really bought home to me what effect temperature has on the mpg of a car, especially on short journeys. I was aware of this fact but to see it happening was quite something. Previous car was a Mk 7 1.6 TDCI and I now have a 1.4 petrol auto.

I generally do very short journeys so the engine hardly ever reaches normal operating temperature. In the summer, the diesel would do around 60mpg but in winter it struggled to get above 50mpg (both very good figures, mind). The petrol car does about 37mpg summer 32/33mpg winter. So we are talking of about a 17% difference in the case of the diesel and 13% with the petrol. I assume that the slower warming up of the diesel and the tendency of diesel fuel to thicken in low temperatures accounts for the difference.

Side note - it's quite galling that my son's 2.0 litre diesel Mondeo Estate does around 50/55 mpg against my 37mpg Fiesta !

The last two cars I have had really bought home to me what effect temperature has on the mpg of a car, especially on short journeys. I was aware of this fact but to see it happening was quite something. Previous car was a Mk 7 1.6 TDCI and I now have a 1.4 petrol auto.

I generally do very short journeys so the engine hardly ever reaches normal operating temperature. In the summer, the diesel would do around 60mpg but in winter it struggled to get above 50mpg (both very good figures, mind). The petrol car does about 37mpg summer 32/33mpg winter. So we are talking of about a 17% difference in the case of the diesel and 13% with the petrol. I assume that the slower warming up of the diesel and the tendency of diesel fuel to thicken in low temperatures accounts for the difference.

Side note - it's quite galling that my son's 2.0 litre diesel Mondeo Estate does around 50/55 mpg against my 37mpg Fiesta !

Us automatic euro fiesta owners would benefit mpg-wise from fords 6 speed automated manual powershift transmission. :-(. But I suppose when the euro fiesta mk7 was first designed/built the powershift box was probably only a twinkle in a ford engineers eye. Then again the Australian/Asian Markets get the powershift transmission and they have the same fiesta as us Europeans (ie not the north american adapted version)

Oh well

Us automatic euro fiesta owners would benefit mpg-wise from fords 6 speed automated manual powershift transmission. :-(. But I suppose when the euro fiesta mk7 was first designed/built the powershift box was probably only a twinkle in a ford engineers eye. Then again the Australian/Asian Markets get the powershift transmission and they have the same fiesta as us Europeans (ie not the north american adapted version)

Oh well

I know from experience that an 'automated manual' box is more economic than a true auto. I had a Vauxhall Astra with the 'Easytronic' 5 speed box and despite all its other failings, it was very economical (over 40mpg from a 1.6 petrol without really trying). In fact, on paper it is more economic than the manual version, presumably on the basis that it is always in the right gear. This latter aspect though, cannot be more true than on a CVT 'stepless' box as any particular step has to be a bit of a compromise.

I don't know how new the 'Powershift' idea is as I had the Astra from new back in 2006.

Looking at the poll above, I'm quite happy with my 33 - 37 mpg from my petrol auto.

The 1.4TDCi that I am currntly driving is doing around 56mpg with an average speed of 33mph across motorways, b roads and some town driving.

I'm hoping that my 1.6 TDCi will be better when it eventually arrives because it won't be worked quite as hard having a bigger engine.

I can't help thinking that the Fiesta would really benefit from a 6 speed box like so many other cars in the same class are now fitted with. Either way mid to high 50's is loads better than the 31 or so I was getting from the BM.

The 1.4TDCi that I am currntly driving is doing around 56mpg with an average speed of 33mph across motorways, b roads and some town driving.

I'm hoping that my 1.6 TDCi will be better when it eventually arrives because it won't be worked quite as hard having a bigger engine.

I can't help thinking that the Fiesta would really benefit from a 6 speed box like so many other cars in the same class are now fitted with. Either way mid to high 50's is loads better than the 31 or so I was getting from the BM.

As I said earlier, my 1.6 TDCI would achieve 60mpg on very short journeys so the indications are quite good for you, Sam C. Admittedly that was driving quite light-footed. Also I was very impressed with the torque on that car, it would rocket up steep slopes with ease. With around 212 Nm available in such a light car, it showed !

I've done a longer run today (Tamworth to Lincoln) and I saw a peak of 59.9 along the slower sections of the A46. It finished up on 59.6mpg with an average speed of 37mph.

Admittedly I was taking it steady and sticking to the limits and restrictions, but still pretty good on a warmish, windy day with the air con on. It will be interesting to see how it fairs tomorrow. I think I should be OK because I don't drive that fast any more. Since doing more miles I've slowed down and never go over 75 on the motorway. The cost of fuel has also had an impact.

The Zetec S should be better because I don't think it will be as strained. Ford do need to add a 6th gear.

The Zetec S should be better because I don't think it will be as strained. Ford do need to add a 6th gear.

+1

Pretty much all the engines in the fiesta could benefit from a 6th gear.

Adds a bit of weight, but gives a nice long gear for cruising without messing up the short ratio of the other gears.

Hopefully we'll see a 6-speed manual or at least 6-speed powershift on the facelift.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club