Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Ford Capri Mk3 3.0S Restoration

CJD

Before I could drive i was always into classic cars and went to a few shows when i could. When i started an apprenticeship in 2009 I thought that I could buy my first classic. After a while a month or so searching I found a Ford Capri Mk3 3.0 S in need of restoration. It was trailered home and work started.

That was four months ago, since then it has undergone quite a bit of welding and huge amounts of electrical work, more of which needs doing.

The car has presented a lot more problems than i orginally anticipated, the most major being it needed a new roof!! But as my first restoration I'm enjoying every minute and looking forward to getting it finished.

I will post more photos as things move along!

post-7844-1262521505_thumb.jpgpost-7844-1262521440_thumb.jpg

keep up the work on the capri the 3.0s was a superb car in its day. when its all finished look at getting a scorpion rear suspension kit if you can find one, this stopped the capri being so tailhappy around the bends.

I so love the Capri.

My Dad had one when I was a kid and Hubby had one in the 80's.

Will look forward to seeing more pics of the restoration!

Thanks for your info on scorpion rear suspension, any other info like this would be greatly appreciated as I'm new to the restoration thing

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

Just a quick update and some more photos, the roof is now fully fitted! Now just waiting on some paint quotes and then see where that takes me.

More electrical problems found but hey:D

Chris

DSC00168.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

capri club international do an axel location kit,similar to what was fitted to the tickford capris,that should help quite a bit,they also used to do an any tramping kit not sure if they still do those though,good luck with restoration,beleve me you will never regret your choice of Ford,had mine 23years,and it just gets better,nice to upset the green brigade every time you start them up,

• 3 months later...

New news!

The capri has been sprayed and it had the engine and windows put back in over the weekend :D.

Should start to move along a bit now...exhausts to fit tomorrow:)

DSC00278.jpg

DSC00280.jpg

DSC00279.jpg

• 6 months later...

Great colour and looking so cool. I had a 2.0S in the early 80's and absolutely loved it.

Weren't the front indicators in the bumper originally? Looks like the bumper is off something else.

Keep up the good work.

Yea the front and rear valances, along with the bumpers, are both off a Mk2 Capri as I prefer the way they look. Im still not sure about the positioning of the indicators but for now thats where they will stay???

Chris

• 2 months later...

Well here it is the 99% finished article.

Its been nearly two years in the making but its finally done.

DSCF3358.jpg

DSCF3352.jpg

DSCF3349.jpg

DSCF3348.jpg

DSCF3345.jpg

DSCF3340.jpg

DSCF3338.jpg

Let me know what you think :D

Very nice mate :)

I bet that has been an interesting project.

• 3 weeks later...

Well a bit more done over the royal wedding weekend :D

DSC00369.jpg

DSC00367.jpg

• 1 month later...

All now taxed and tested and given a good first run of a 250 mile round trip to Santa Pod for Classic Ford.

No problems at all.

Top notch motoring :D:D

• 1 year later...

nice once it's finished..not sure about the black wheels though.Nice colour

I have a '79 3.0s in my garage requiring work...it's only been there 10 years

Im also not sure on the black wheels but you've done outstanding! Great work and effort.

• 7 months later...

Like the look of the car I always fancied but didn't get.

What is the blue paint called.

Cheers

Martin

• 7 months later...

Best car i have ever had was a mark one 3.0 litre capri, i think it was called a gtxlr or something like that, it was Daytona yellow and had Avon black alloys. I had gas adjustable shockers, stage 2 heads, custom made twin exaust (made by a tuning company), electric fan kit, special intake manifold with three twin choke carbs and the list goes on. It was really fast, handled quite well with the shockers adjusted to their hardest setting, you had to be careful in the wet though!

• 2 months later...

What a true classic car mate i like what you have done with it and the finished product was well worth it to look at i love Capri's they are fantastic cars good job :)