Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Traffic Sign Recognition changed to KM/h

Yokomoko

Hey we have some crappy speed awareness program going on with an estate agent where we live (Miles & Barr) which have road sign-like for-sale signs. My car picks them up as 100 signs. I think this might have triggered a switch to KMPH now from MPH since I had it set  to flash if I was 5 mph over the speed limit and now it starts to flash at like 26 on a 30, and in the settings for it, it says 5kmph over, not MPH.

Is there a way to change this? In the settings on the Ford Sync it is set to MPH, so is there a fuse or something I can unplug and plug back in to reset this? It's mildly infuriating.

When mine did this I could find no way in the settings to correct it. After a couple of days it sorted itself out.

3 hours ago, Yokomoko said:

Hey we have some crappy speed awareness program going on with an estate agent where we live (Miles & Barr) which have road sign-like for-sale signs. My car picks them up as 100 signs. I think this might have triggered a switch to KMPH now from MPH since I had it set  to flash if I was 5 mph over the speed limit and now it starts to flash at like 26 on a 30, and in the settings for it, it says 5kmph over, not MPH.

Is there a way to change this? In the settings on the Ford Sync it is set to MPH, so is there a fuse or something I can unplug and plug back in to reset this? It's mildly infuriating.

There's a simple answer to this problem. Doesn't involve menus, or any electronics.

STICK TO THE SPEED LIMIT.

I think the op is saying that the system (which he has no control over and didn't necessarily opt for if buying the car second hand, btw) is now warning him at speeds LOWER than the speed limit.

I don't particularly think it's necessary to tell people on (this) cars and driving based forum that it is necessary to abide by the rules of the road to solve their problems, or this would be a very limited forum indeed.

This isn't TalkFord...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

a bit late to the party, but I've had this regularly crossing between Northern Ireland and Ireland.   I've found switching the measurement units, KMPH, switching car off for 10 mins, switching back to MPH, and switching off, and then switching back on and driving as usual, normally forces a reset to MPH in a few miles.   Your digital speed readout will change when you do this.   My car is set to KM normally, but as It's a UK car, speed limiter and cruise control are still in MPH.

On 6/11/2018 at 2:00 PM, Phil21185 said:

This isn't TalkFord...

Or pistonheads!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem here in Germany with my Ford Kuga. Everything is set to KMH, however the signs recognition warning shows MPH and i'm not able to change that back to KMH.

I've tried the above mentioned solution but it didn't work.

Does someone have any other hint/suggestion?

if you input a destination in the sat nav will it start to behave ?  I was reading another forum, seems they pick up the limits signs posted on the back of lorries as well

• 9 months later...

Anyone find the answer to this? I've had a 15 plate Focus from new, and it shows this fault exactly from time to time. Fords have had it in, but can't find a solution. Taking the Nav card out doesn't help, and I've tried switching units without any joy. Usually it will correct itself after a few days, but this time it's been like it for weeks, maybe it thinks its in France! I know it isn't a vital function, but it is annoying.

• 5 months later...

Hi. Has anyone got an answer to this problem. My 2017 Focus is doing the same thing. All units are set to imperial eg MPH. Miles driven MPG etc. But the speed warning sign is reading the road side signs as KPH. Warns that the speed limit is being broken when it’s is clearly not. 

Could it be the Sat Nav ?

Reason im asking is I changed the sat nav settings to KM for route distances which I prefer but it also changes the HUD display to read speed signs in KM's and not MPH. So ended up changing it back until I can find a way around it (If at all).

• 1 year later...
I started from a situation with the car information in miles in all displays except the Settings - Driver Assist - Traffic Sign - Speed Warning which was diplayed in km/h. and operating as such.
I put the car in Kilometers via the central 'Tablet Display'.  I drove like this for a few kilometers - all displays in kilometers units and the car recognising speed limit signs as km/h and warning accordingly, I then stopped and switched off the engine but I didn't get out of the car.  The 'Driver Display' went blank except for the odometer reading in km.
On the centre 'Tablet Display', I changed from Kilometers to Miles.  The Driver Display odometer stayed in km at this point.
I then restarted the engine - the odometer changed to miles instantly.  I drove back home with everything working in miles, including the speed sign warning system.

I had tried changing in and out of the Kilometre/Miles option before but without the 'switch off/on engine and then drive' sequence described above, it made no difference.

23 hours ago, Stay Focussed said:
I started from a situation with the car information in miles in all displays except the Settings - Driver Assist - Traffic Sign - Speed Warning which was diplayed in km/h. and operating as such.
I put the car in Kilometers via the central 'Tablet Display'.  I drove like this for a few kilometers - all displays in kilometers units and the car recognising speed limit signs as km/h and warning accordingly, I then stopped and switched off the engine but I didn't get out of the car.  The 'Driver Display' went blank except for the odometer reading in km.
On the centre 'Tablet Display', I changed from Kilometers to Miles.  The Driver Display odometer stayed in km at this point.
I then restarted the engine - the odometer changed to miles instantly.  I drove back home with everything working in miles, including the speed sign warning system.

I had tried changing in and out of the Kilometre/Miles option before but without the 'switch off/on engine and then drive' sequence described above, it made no difference.

Are you in a Mk4 or Mk3.5?

On 6/11/2018 at 9:13 AM, Yokomoko said:

Speaking from experience this is a bad idea. I used to drive at 5mph over the limit thinking my speedo was reading fast* (so I'd actually be more or less on the limit) but got caught by a speed camera doing 35. I then had to attend a speed awareness course or get points on my licence. This annoyed me a bit because I never deliberately speed and yet I see loads of cretins greatly exceeding the limit as a matter of course and, I assume (because they still have their licences), they don't get caught...... 

The actual speed awareness course was really good, I learnt stuff even having driven for 30 years odd. In fact there is an argument that everyone should go on one before they get their licence.

* TBH this may partly have been because I stripped down my clocks (when they had that stock intermittent fault) and when I put the speedo needles back on they were then bang on accuracy wise. A bad move actually, if you ever do that I would deliberately set the speedo to read 5 to 10% fast so you drive slightly slower.

• Like 1