Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo issue

barrymx5

My 55 plate Focus 1.8 diesel is sick and I'd be really grateful for any direction on how to resolve the proble, preferably DIY. I was out for a run and I heard a bang and hiss coming from the engine bay. Initially I though I'd had a puncture, such was the sound. The car wouldn't perform, so I limped home with smoke coming from the exhaust. I was even flashed, so it must have been bad. Having researched the problem it pointed to the turbo charger so I removed it for inspection. It seemed fine, with no play or apparent damage so I painstakingly put it back. Now, with the engine on idle, it sound good but when I rev a bit there is a high pitched whine which seems to be coming from the turbo area. If I rev the engine more the whine gets worse and something is smoking near the turbo, though not a lot. I would really appreciate any information that helps me identify the problem and what I should be looking for in a knackered turbo, and that's if it is the turbo. I don't know if it helps, but the A/C has packed in, though the noise doesn't appear to be coming from the area. I daren't run the car just yet to see how it performs seeing as there's smoke when I rev the car when static. I know I could take the car to a garage, but frankiy it may no longer be cost effective and I like to dabble myself.

Sounds like a blown boost hose.  The solid metal one is common to break on the 1.8TDCi so that would be the first one to check.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club