Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus zetec 2009 petrol figures

Good evening all   Just purchased a focus 1.6   2009 with Zetec engine. I am 84 yrs old and completely confused by the screen facing me on the dash.At the moment it is saying i have 181 miles left., and previously when i had 50 miles left a yellow petrol light came on, do i take notice of the Yellow light or have i a genuine 50 miles left ??. Fuel figures, 32 around town and 50 on long runs as per manual is this correct please?. Ford here in Plymouth charge nearly £100 for a fuel check, is it worth it

Thank you for letting me join the Club               Regards   Terry

Pevious car Toyota Corolla 1997  , it has just called it a day after 182000 miles

12 hours ago, tickover said:

Good evening all   Just purchased a focus 1.6   2009 with Zetec engine. I am 84 yrs old and completely confused by the screen facing me on the dash.At the moment it is saying i have 181 miles left., and previously when i had 50 miles left a yellow petrol light came on, do i take notice of the Yellow light or have i a genuine 50 miles left ??. Fuel figures, 32 around town and 50 on long runs as per manual is this correct please?. Ford here in Plymouth charge nearly £100 for a fuel check, is it worth it

Thank you for letting me join the Club               Regards   Terry

Pevious car Toyota Corolla 1997  , it has just called it a day after 182000 miles

Hi Terry, 

Your very welcome to the forum's your previous vehicle was a true work horse 4EFE Toyota engines were bulletproof👍

The fuel range is pretty accurate although if you were to see it displaying 10 miles remaining; 

Then you stop the engine and restart it again; the range may read 30 miles remaining having previously displayed 10 miles, 

So at figures below 80 miles it's not 100% accurate also it's not recommend to drive with a low tank very often because any crap which may be in the bottom of the tank gets sucked in to the fuel filter which can restrict flow and reduce economy until the fuel filter is changed.

The economy figures are pretty accurate 

I've driven 14 miles on zero range twice in the past eight years.

On 10/6/2018 at 8:22 AM, Lenny said:

Hi Terry, 

Your very welcome to the forum's your previous vehicle was a true work horse 4EFE Toyota engines were bulletproof👍

The fuel range is pretty accurate although if you were to see it displaying 10 miles remaining; 

Then you stop the engine and restart it again; the range may read 30 miles remaining having previously displayed 10 miles, 

So at figures below 80 miles it's not 100% accurate also it's not recommend to drive with a low tank very often because any crap which may be in the bottom of the tank gets sucked in to the fuel filter which can restrict flow and reduce economy until the fuel filter is changed.

The economy figures are pretty accurate 

I've driven 14 miles on zero range twice in the past eight years.

Hi Lenny, Many Thanks for your help and all understood, how often do you change the fuel filter please? [have no manual yet ]

just making some extension brackets as the seat does not go back far enough [ 6ft*4 ] Thanks again Take Care   Terry   Plymouth

1 hour ago, tickover said:

Hi Lenny, Many Thanks for your help and all understood, how often do you change the fuel filter please? [have no manual yet ]

just making some extension brackets as the seat does not go back far enough [ 6ft*4 ] Thanks again Take Care   Terry   Plymouth

Hi Terry, 

Personally I have a 1.6 Diesel and I have the filter changed every year at the beginning of the spring when temperatures start to rise again, 

This is because Diesel waxes in cold weather; there are chemicals in the diesel which form a wax type substance when conditions are freezing, 

If it was petrol then there's no issues with waxing, so the time of year wouldn't matter at all for changing, also I think it would be difficult for a text book recommendation to be defined as the filters performance is also affected by the amount of times the vehicle is driven on a close to empty tank as contaminates get drawn in to the filter. But I would change every year to two years for best economy.