Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Legal white bulb? Not xenon?

Xlasis

1 hour ago, Blatto said:

This guy is an advanced and ex Police driving instructor.

He fairly well sums up my opinion on the inappropriate use of fog lights.

i personally disagree with his assessment of front fogs lights (when it comes to cars like the fiestas that have halogen bulbs) due to the fog lights both being better designed on fords than they are on most other vehicles, and the fact that the dipped beam on a ford if it is using the oem halogen bulb is actually dimmer than a lot of other cars 

If we actually want proper vision in fog then we should use yellow lights, not blinding icicle white.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

If we actually want proper vision in fog then we should use yellow lights, not blinding icicle white.

i find that the white light cuts through fog much better than the yellow halogen light

so to prove your point, you just linked an article that actually contradicts your point

Not really.  As it states, our eyes process yellow better, we get less glare and more focus.  I find modern leds massively glary, especially when high up on on an SUV.

this article was focussing on yellow halogens vs xenons (which are a blue white) as opposed to LEDs which are a pure white, LEDs don't produce much glare (if the beam is actually angled right and focused properly) xenons, HIDs, and laser headlights do produce a lot of glare due to their blue hue

20 hours ago, Neb_engineer said:

i personally disagree with his assessment of front fogs lights (when it comes to cars like the fiestas that have halogen bulbs) due to the fog lights both being better designed on fords than they are on most other vehicles

I agree with his comment about front fog lights being pretty useless in fog, I've never found them to improve vision over the standard dipped beam headlights. He wasn't suggesting the front fogs were too bright, or dazzling other drivers, just that they had little effect. It's the inappropriate use of the high intensity rears that he is commenting on.

I've been commuting about 70 miles a day to work between 7 - 8 am and back home around 4-5pm for the last 10 years or so and I have never seen any fog around this way that would require the use of Fog lights. In fact the only time I've ever used them was on a drive up to Cumbria about 2 years ago when visibilty was below about 50 Metres. The front fogs only seemed to illuminate the road a bit brighter about 10 feet in front which is pretty useless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blatto said:

I agree with his comment about front fog lights being pretty useless in fog, I've never found them to improve vision over the standard dipped beam headlights. He wasn't suggesting the front fogs were too bright, or dazzling other drivers, just that they had little effect. It's the inappropriate use of the high intensity rears that he is commenting on.

I've been commuting about 70 miles a day to work between 7 - 8 am and back home around 4-5pm for the last 10 years or so and I have never seen any fog around this way that would require the use of Fog lights. In fact the only time I've ever used them was on a drive up to Cumbria about 2 years ago when visibilty was below about 50 Metres. The front fogs only seemed to illuminate the road a bit brighter about 10 feet in front which is pretty useless.

i found that when i switched out my fogs to LED they actually made a big difference, and they still made a big difference even with my headlights' dipped beam now being LED as well

6 minutes ago, Neb_engineer said:

found that when i switched out my fogs to LED they actually made a big difference

Fair enough if they work for you there's no reason not to use them. If they are set correctly and pointing to the nearside and downwards they won't affect other drivers.

Can't say I'd be likely to change mine to LED's though given that I've not seen fog around this part of the UK that requires them to be on. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blatto said:

Fair enough if they work for you there's no reason not to use them. If they are set correctly and pointing to the nearside and downwards they won't affect other drivers.

Can't say I'd be likely to change mine to LED's though given that I've not seen fog around this part of the UK that requires them to be on. 

come to bristol, its a winter attraction

You can keep it. I hate driving in fog, but luckily not seen any bad ones around this way since the mid 1980's.

I remember driving home one night at about 2 am from work and not being able to see more than about 2 cats eyes in front. Got totally disorientated and couldn't do more than about 5-10mph. Once the cats eye section of the road ended I think I must've hit the kerb about every 50 yards. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blatto said:

You can keep it. I hate driving in fog, but luckily not seen any bad ones around this way since the mid 1980's.

I remember driving home one night at about 2 am from work and not being able to see more than about 2 cats eyes in front. Got totally disorientated and couldn't do more than about 5-10mph. Once the cats eye section of the road ended I think I must've hit the kerb about every 50 yards. 

thats the other thing, due to the fog lights being lower on the car, i find that they as light more cats eyes than dipped beams in fog 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club