Davek1995

Using 10w-40 oil instead of 5w-30?

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

 

So I've got a 2008 MK2.5 1.8 Duratec HE engine which likes to burn oil (probably piston rings. Seems to be common with these engines)

I've been told that using 10w-40 massively improves oil consumption, but I'm worried about swapping to something thicker.

Has anyone else tried the thicker stuff?

 

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

fit a new PCV and the foam separator bit in the air filter.... mine burns some the closer it gets to an oil change...  I'm back on 5 30.... oil to the vvti is worth having

if a tractor don't use veg fat / bio crap, it gums up the rings and burn out glowplugs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Davek1995 said:

Hello all,

 

So I've got a 2008 MK2.5 1.8 Duratec HE engine which likes to burn oil (probably piston rings. Seems to be common with these engines)

I've been told that using 10w-40 massively improves oil consumption, but I'm worried about swapping to something thicker.

Has anyone else tried the thicker stuff?

 

Thanks 

Mmm interesting, mine has always had the same problem, apparently it's to do with gummed up oil control rings, I've tried Fortec oil treatment in the past but don't think it helped a great deal. Did using 10w/40 oil help at all, if so by how much, because if it did I'll be switching soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Davek1995 said:

Hello all,

 

So I've got a 2008 MK2.5 1.8 Duratec HE engine which likes to burn oil (probably piston rings. Seems to be common with these engines)

I've been told that using 10w-40 massively improves oil consumption, but I'm worried about swapping to something thicker.

Has anyone else tried the thicker stuff?

 

Thanks 

How much oil you going through? 

I've had this engine in the last 3 cars (two Mondeo's, and now Focus). All used a different amount of oil. The first never needed topping up between services. The second needed a lot of topping up during the tear, normally 4 months after a service. My current Focus needs topping up from 6 months. I probably only top it up once or twice a year, so no real problem. 

If yours is similar, I'd not change the oil type. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its thicker would it not cause more pressure on parts if it's not in spec and cause increased wear?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the old Zetec engine days using 10w-40 caused the hydraulic tappets to stick, but IIRC that particular issue won't affect Duratecs.

Personally I'd be wary of using the wrong oil in a modern, close tolerance engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 10:47 AM, pistolpete1 said:

How much oil you going through? 

I've had this engine in the last 3 cars (two Mondeo's, and now Focus). All used a different amount of oil. The first never needed topping up between services. The second needed a lot of topping up during the tear, normally 4 months after a service. My current Focus needs topping up from 6 months. I probably only top it up once or twice a year, so no real problem. 

If yours is similar, I'd not change the oil type. 

About half a dipstick each week. No more than 100 miles of driving

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 5:41 PM, Botus said:

fit a new PCV and the foam separator bit in the air filter.... mine burns some the closer it gets to an oil change...  I'm back on 5 30.... oil to the vvti is worth having

if a tractor don't use veg fat / bio crap, it gums up the rings and burn out glowplugs

I've already changed both. The old PCV, housing and pipe looked fine, but I already had the parts so I swapped it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Davek1995 said:

I've already changed both. The old PCV, housing and pipe looked fine, but I already had the parts so I swapped it. 

 

what about the engine breather pipe to the air filter  (if its got the foam separator) ford actually give u the foam bit each time when you by the filter.... it could be its just a puddle of oil and the breather is blocked because its not been replaced in 60k miles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Davek1995 said:

About half a dipstick each week. No more than 100 miles of driving

Blimey! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wife's MK2.5 1.8 was using a bit of oil (about half to 3 quarters of a litre a month), in fact it had done so since it was purchased approximately 18 months so.  Last year I ended up flushing it through with BG109 engine treatment, dropped the oil and it's genuinely not used any oil since then i.e. the dipstick still reads as full.

 

Obviously whether this type of treatment works for someone depends on what the root cause of the issue is but for me it's been day and night different.  Thankfully the 1.8/2.0 Duratec engines are chain driven rather than belt so it's pretty safe to use a flush treatment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2019 at 11:19 PM, Botus said:

what about the engine breather pipe to the air filter  (if its got the foam separator) ford actually give u the foam bit each time when you by the filter.... it could be its just a puddle of oil and the breather is blocked because its not been replaced in 60k miles

Changed that also. Old one was pretty clean tbh 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

The wife's MK2.5 1.8 was using a bit of oil (about half to 3 quarters of a litre a month), in fact it had done so since it was purchased approximately 18 months so.  Last year I ended up flushing it through with BG109 engine treatment, dropped the oil and it's genuinely not used any oil since then i.e. the dipstick still reads as full.

 

Obviously whether this type of treatment works for someone depends on what the root cause of the issue is but for me it's been day and night different.  Thankfully the 1.8/2.0 Duratec engines are chain driven rather than belt so it's pretty safe to use a flush treatment.

How long did you leave the flush in for?

 

I've checked with Ford and they would only recommend a 5w-40 which I think is slightly thicker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Davek1995 said:

How long did you leave the flush in for?

 

I've checked with Ford and they would only recommend a 5w-40 which I think is slightly thicker

I ran it for the amount time it said on the tin + 5 minutes to really make sure it had time to do its job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 1979Damian said:

I ran it for the amount time it said on the tin + 5 minutes to really make sure it had time to do its job.

Cheers mate, I'll give it a go!

Annoyingly it doesn't look like I can get any delivered in time for the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in the good old days....

40 years ago, 100 miles to the pint was "OK"

for last 10 years owners might want 10k miles per 1/2 litre... but sensible consumption for an engine that likes to drink a bit is 1000 miles per litre

if you are around 100 miles per litre, no flushing oil / additive or good luck is going to help - is game over or spend lots on engine rebuild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Botus said:

in the good old days....

40 years ago, 100 miles to the pint was "OK"

for last 10 years owners might want 10k miles per 1/2 litre... but sensible consumption for an engine that likes to drink a bit is 1000 miles per litre

if you are around 100 miles per litre, no flushing oil / additive or good luck is going to help - is game over or spend lots on engine rebuild

Yeah, it's annoying.

Depends how i'm driving though. Short journeys 5-7 miles per day will drop the oil by about 150-200ml per week. 

I went to see family in North wales which is about 300 miles and it used about 150mls. 

The forte did help quite a bit. I need to do an oil change anyway so I'll try this magical stuff and if it doesn't work then I'm only down £15.

I am going to be using 5w-40 instead of 5w-30 also.

I can dream  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 7:41 PM, 1979Damian said:

The wife's MK2.5 1.8 was using a bit of oil (about half to 3 quarters of a litre a month), in fact it had done so since it was purchased approximately 18 months so.  Last year I ended up flushing it through with BG109 engine treatment, dropped the oil and it's genuinely not used any oil since then i.e. the dipstick still reads as full.

 

Obviously whether this type of treatment works for someone depends on what the root cause of the issue is but for me it's been day and night different.  Thankfully the 1.8/2.0 Duratec engines are chain driven rather than belt so it's pretty safe to use a flush treatment.

 

On 2/20/2019 at 4:58 PM, Botus said:

in the good old days....

40 years ago, 100 miles to the pint was "OK"

for last 10 years owners might want 10k miles per 1/2 litre... but sensible consumption for an engine that likes to drink a bit is 1000 miles per litre

if you are around 100 miles per litre, no flushing oil / additive or good luck is going to help - is game over or spend lots on engine rebuild

 

On 2/16/2019 at 10:47 AM, pistolpete1 said:

How much oil you going through? 

I've had this engine in the last 3 cars (two Mondeo's, and now Focus). All used a different amount of oil. The first never needed topping up between services. The second needed a lot of topping up during the tear, normally 4 months after a service. My current Focus needs topping up from 6 months. I probably only top it up once or twice a year, so no real problem. 

If yours is similar, I'd not change the oil type. 

 

Right... so I managed to get this special engine treatment on a next day delivery. 

I dropped the old oil and put some cheap ASDA oil in. I then followed the instructions on the can, but instead of revving the engine for 10 minutes I was revving it for over an hour and a half.. sometimes stopping for 5 mins then starting again. The neighbours were not best pleased with the smoke and smell.

I then changed oil to 5W40 and changed filter and sump plug.

Drove about 10 miles to clear out the remainder crap and smoke (I could literally see people couching as I drove passed) then topped it off to max and drove most of the evening.

I gave up after hitting 113 miles and went to bed. Checked it today and IT'S STILL ON MAX!

Lets not get our hopes up but early signs are looking good! 🙂

Special thanks to 1979damian!

 

I will keep you'll updated! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Davek1995 said:

Right... so I managed to get this special engine treatment on a next day delivery. 

I dropped the old oil and put some cheap ASDA oil in. I then followed the instructions on the can, but instead of revving the engine for 10 minutes I was revving it for over an hour and a half.. sometimes stopping for 5 mins then starting again. The neighbours were not best pleased with the smoke and smell.

I then changed oil to 5W40 and changed filter and sump plug.

Drove about 10 miles to clear out the remainder crap and smoke (I could literally see people couching as I drove passed) then topped it off to max and drove most of the evening.

I gave up after hitting 113 miles and went to bed. Checked it today and IT'S STILL ON MAX!

Lets not get our hopes up but early signs are looking good! 🙂

Special thanks to 1979damian!

I will keep you'll updated! 

Fingers crossed for you mate, hopefully your next update will be just as positive! :yahoo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dezwez said:

hope it works out for you 👍

Yeah Good luck with that 🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 10:28 PM, Davek1995 said:

 

 

 

Right... so I managed to get this special engine treatment on a next day delivery. 

I dropped the old oil and put some cheap ASDA oil in. I then followed the instructions on the can, but instead of revving the engine for 10 minutes I was revving it for over an hour and a half.. sometimes stopping for 5 mins then starting again. The neighbours were not best pleased with the smoke and smell.

I then changed oil to 5W40 and changed filter and sump plug.

Drove about 10 miles to clear out the remainder crap and smoke (I could literally see people couching as I drove passed) then topped it off to max and drove most of the evening.

I gave up after hitting 113 miles and went to bed. Checked it today and IT'S STILL ON MAX!

Lets not get our hopes up but early signs are looking good! 🙂

Special thanks to 1979damian!

 

I will keep you'll updated! 

Going to be adding this before my oil change this week, hopefully this will put to bed my oil consumption wows as well 🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wilto said:

Going to be adding this before my oil change this week, hopefully this will put to bed my oil consumption wows as well 🤞

Keep us posted mate. (Good luck)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

Keep us posted mate. (Good luck)

my mates got a 2006 Vauxhall zafira (yes I no) it burns oil really bad so we are going to try 10w 40 if its still the same we will scrap it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.