Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whirring sound, possible power steering - Focus 2003

syvers

Hi

I am hoping someone can help and has heard the sound that I have coming from the power steering pump area. There is a link to listen to it on youtube below.

I have taken it to a mechanic twice but the first time I drove into the garage and it just stopped, tried stopping and starting the car but the noise wouldn't come back so I drove it home and a few minutes later it started again. The second time I took it I left it running whilst we opened the bonnet and after a minute whilst we were trying to figure it out it stopped gain! Thing is once it has started it can be quite loud or sometimes a bit of a whisper, I don't think it is a belt noise and it is coming from the front either to do with power steering pump or something nearby. I tried putting something on the pump with the other end next to my ear but i couldn't really hear anything from it that resembled the noise or was in time with the noise to really make me convinced it was power steering pump. What I can say though is it is a replacement from a breakers yard and it was put in place a couple of years ago so always a possibility it has had its day.

It is possibly worse when cold because after half an hour it can stop just by itself but the car is up to temp way before then, to be honest I have no idea what stops it, there doesn't appear to be anything loose either.

I hope the video is enough, you can at least tell as I move it towards to back that it is quieter and at the front louder.

If you recognise the sound please help.

Thanks very much

Paul

You tube video of the whirring noise

Wow, that's an annoying noise! Hopefully one of our resident experts will be able to help you out.🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club