addiosamigo

What built in Sat Nav can you get for MK2?

you often get what you pay for. essentially you have two choice, windows CE or android.a few years ago android was utter garbage and windows CE was much more stable, CE was limited in its functionality but was bomb proof, in fact I think they used it on SYNC2.  However More recent versions of android are more stable and are getting better but is HUGELY dependant on hardware and this is where it gets a bit messy because every Chinese factory in in china will have a cloned version that may or may not be any good and may or may not use CE.

with this in mind I would strongly suggest you go for something branded, it will be a clone but you will know what you are getting and you have a company to speak to if it goes wrong

I had a Eonon Unit, the first unit I brought had a faulty the DVD drive and they promptly replaced it, never had a problem since.  Eonon will not support Ebay Eonon units as they are just as likely ripped off clones of theres then the real deal

https://www.eonon.co.uk/Android-Car-Stereo/Car-Specific-GPS/Ford-Mondeo-Focus-S-max-Android-8-0-Oreo-4G-RAM-Octa-Core-32G-ROM-Split-Screen-PIP-Multitasking.html

thats their latest version.  the pre-order status is normal, these things are all typically stored in China. Occasionally they store some stock in the UK but only the most popular ones

2 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

That's the best price I've seen on these Eonon units! I just have a couple questions...

1) My USB and aux in sockets are under the armrest. Is it possible to keep them working?

1.5) The unit comes with 2 USB female plugs, but if I have to use one for the armrest, one for DAB and one for the WiFi then would it be possible to plug another into the unit?

2) if I buy one of these then can I use my factory aerial with the DAB USB tuner instead of the crappy windscreen mount?

3) Is the Android Auto thing any good (Apple Car play but for those of us with a good phone 😉).

4) what's the boot time like? The advert says 1 sec, but that's for a "warm start".

5) lastly, does your unit crash often? My mate had a pumpkin one in his car (though I now believe he had a Windows CE one instead of android) and it just looked cheap and was a bit leggy too.

1, the wiring will be different, you would need to disconnect it from the BT module and wire it up to the headunit, if possible, id replace it leaving the original wiring intact.

2, it has 3 USB ports, 1 for the DAB, one for USB storage, leaving you with a spare one, wifi and GPS is connected via a SMBs

3, possibly, it works on the same principle but you will need to wreck the wiring to it, my personal preference is to leave the original wiring intact 

4 I dont use it at all, It might be useful but I need a 2Amp charger to keep my phone ticking and use GPS, phone etc. soo.. I dont bother, my head unit deals with the music, my phone the GPS, I have a newer car just now and I still use the phone for satnav

5, of the new devices? not a clue, but 1 second is comparable to my one old so assuming its much the same, cold boot times on my old Windows CE was around 4-5 seconds

6, never, but mine was the older eonon unit that used windows CE, CE is usually far more stable, early android ones where horrific, which is why I went for CE, if I brought a new one today, id get an Android one

On 4/28/2019 at 8:37 AM, Dee_82 said:

you often get what you pay for. essentially you have two choice, windows CE or android.a few years ago android was utter garbage and windows CE was much more stable, CE was limited in its functionality but was bomb proof, in fact I think they used it on SYNC2.  However More recent versions of android are more stable and are getting better but is HUGELY dependant on hardware and this is where it gets a bit messy because every Chinese factory in in china will have a cloned version that may or may not be any good and may or may not use CE.

with this in mind I would strongly suggest you go for something branded, it will be a clone but you will know what you are getting and you have a company to speak to if it goes wrong

I had a Eonon Unit, the first unit I brought had a faulty the DVD drive and they promptly replaced it, never had a problem since.  Eonon will not support Ebay Eonon units as they are just as likely ripped off clones of theres then the real deal

https://www.eonon.co.uk/Android-Car-Stereo/Car-Specific-GPS/Ford-Mondeo-Focus-S-max-Android-8-0-Oreo-4G-RAM-Octa-Core-32G-ROM-Split-Screen-PIP-Multitasking.html

thats their latest version.  the pre-order status is normal, these things are all typically stored in China. Occasionally they store some stock in the UK but only the most popular ones

Would this fit the 2005 Ford Focus? 

2 hours ago, addiosamigo said:

Would this fit the 2005 Ford Focus? 

Yes. Any mk2 or mk2.5 focus. Might be worth getting one in a similar colour to the rest of your dash. I have the black carbon fibre centre console, so black is as good as I'm going to get. There should be some silver ones somewhere

On 4/28/2019 at 1:19 PM, Dee_82 said:

1, the wiring will be different, you would need to disconnect it from the BT module and wire it up to the headunit, if possible, id replace it leaving the original wiring intact.

2, it has 3 USB ports, 1 for the DAB, one for USB storage, leaving you with a spare one, wifi and GPS is connected via a SMBs

3, possibly, it works on the same principle but you will need to wreck the wiring to it, my personal preference is to leave the original wiring intact 

4 I dont use it at all, It might be useful but I need a 2Amp charger to keep my phone ticking and use GPS, phone etc. soo.. I dont bother, my head unit deals with the music, my phone the GPS, I have a newer car just now and I still use the phone for satnav

5, of the new devices? not a clue, but 1 second is comparable to my one old so assuming its much the same, cold boot times on my old Windows CE was around 4-5 seconds

6, never, but mine was the older eonon unit that used windows CE, CE is usually far more stable, early android ones where horrific, which is why I went for CE, if I brought a new one today, id get an Android one

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated, just have 1 more question lol. Don't suppose if you know if my factory parking sensors are tied into the existing head unit? So if I rip it out will they stop working?

good question. 

the short answer is I dont know. the long is that I know on Mondeos up to around 2012 had a dedicated speaker for the front and rear parking sensors but after that point it was the head unit that did the work. if that is the case then you will lose the ability to hear them, the headunit will play back the audio if you can splice in to the correct wires and feed the signal in to the audio input on the head unit. 

When I had my focus I had aftermarket sensors and a reverse camera.

I suppose you could simply pull the head unit out, then  pop it in reverse and see what happens, if you still hear it then your good, if you dont then you will need to look up how to splice in to the correct wires.