Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EGR Removal & Cleaning MK2 1.8TDCi

TheGimp

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has removed their EGR from their engine & cleaned it? Is it difficult to remove seeing as it is part of the manifold at the rear of the engine?
I have a code pending for the EGR and the car revs when taking off in first gear are very sluggish but fine when the revs pick up....also kind of hesitates and hunts for a split second as well.

Would cleaning the EGR fix this problem? I'm quite handy with cars, just wondering if it's worth the time to remove it fully.

Thanks in advance.

On 5/7/2019 at 12:16 PM, TheGimp said:

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has removed their EGR from their engine & cleaned it? Is it difficult to remove seeing as it is part of the manifold at the rear of the engine?
I have a code pending for the EGR and the car revs when taking off in first gear are very sluggish but fine when the revs pick up....also kind of hesitates and hunts for a split second as well.

Would cleaning the EGR fix this problem? I'm quite handy with cars, just wondering if it's worth the time to remove it fully.

Thanks in advance.

It's a full manifold off job and it's a pain in the backside, lots of bolts to remove, the exhaust has to be disconnected etc.  The Lynx engine will happily accept an EGR blanking plate, this is a common mod for pretty much anyone on here with this engine.  They're about £6 of eBay (don't get one with a hole in it because it defeats the object).  For myself and a few others on here it made a noticeable difference to the low rev/low throttle input driveability.  My 13 year old MK2 just passed it's latest MOT i..e to the stricter smoke regs and was still only half way towards the limit.

Note that is the EGR mechanism has failed i.e. it doesn't actuate anymore, the plate may not resolve the issue because the ECU will probably recognise that the valve isn't actuating as it should.

Fitting the blanking plate is literally just a case of loosening the 2 bolts on the rear of the housing so you have enough wiggle room with the steel "flexi" hose to create a gap to pop the plate into, then tighten the bolts up again, job done.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club