Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SMAX 65 PLATE Heated Front Screen Not Working

skipzoid

Hello, This is similar to other threads on the subject but they do not answer my particular question so here goes.

65 Plate S-Max Titanium, the heated front screen has never worked from new. Its been in the garage more than twenty times for this.

Its almost out of warranty now and each time they return the car that say we are not using it enough and the heated screen only works when the battery is fully charged. They claim when they charge it and test it works. Use the car more ! the car gets 2-3 hours of daily use depending on commuting traffic, we've never seen the heated screen work even after its come straight from the garage and reported to be working.

The question I have is, can someone point me to the extract trim to remove or specific location to be able to get at the screen connections so we can check for power at the screen and measure the resistance of the screen. The dealer says this isn't necessary as the laptop does this check and tells them everything is working. Our eyes and theirs too if they could be bothered says otherwise.

My gut feeling is either the screen is open circuit, a faulty relay or the screen simply unplugged. (Read another thread about a galaxy where theirs was unplugged)

Sounds very similar to my experience. The garage charged the battery and tell you it’s now fixed - duh!?

See my other thread on this - latest status is the battery was replaced for free which has made a difference thought little frost this year so limited testing. I have noticed the auto start stop functioning much sooner after starting, though.

I measured a low voltage in the morning before starting (11.9, but rising to 15 when started) but the technician said it’s not to do with voltage, it’s the health. I don’t believe them - that seems too low for a battery only 12hrs after it’s been running.  Assuming the alternator is ok, it’s  likely the battery not holding charge or some electronics draining overnight, eg WiFi or GPS for example.  I’ve disabled WiFi recently.

FYI there are two halves to the screen heaters, hence the two big fuses.  You could try measuring resistance from fuse to ground but that might not work depending where the fuse is, in the circuit.  Also, you might see and hear the revs dip when you turn it on as it’s a big draw on the alternator.

Edited by Guest

I maintain that they have not tested it at all. I expect a dip in engine revs because of the drain. Our Galaxy used to. A friend of ours has a Smax too, if put the back of your hand on their screen you can feel it warming but not with ours.

I think its much more fundamental like the screen being open circuit or simply not plugged in as per another thread I read on the subject. I'd like to know which trim to remove to check these things myself.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, 

did you ever get to the bottom of this? I’m in the same situation- the garage said it was the battery and it worked when fully charged but I am yet to see it work.  
thanks

• 4 weeks later...

That’s mine playing up again. Went into the garage  2 years ago for this problem and was returned, no fault found. Miraculously it was working again. Never had to use it last winter but tried for the first time this year and yet not working again. Need to get to the bottom of this. 

• 5 weeks later...

Had nothing but trouble with my screen last winter too. This summer we had issues with start stop not working due to ‘battery charging’ even after some long post lockdown trips of several hours. In and out of the local dealer who were fairly incompetent and not at all transparent about what they tested, diagnosed and resolved. Safe to say that charging the battery ‘fixes’ it which I disputed each time. Anyway, bought myself an obd2 adapter and downloaded Forscan to see what’s going on and I noticed that the final time it went in then actually reset the battery monitor (I could see the count of days which had passed since reset). Anyway it’s working just fine now so perhaps there is a problem/bug with the intelligent battery charger system.

I have read that you should only reset the BMS when you replace the battery but it seems to have sorted ours... - let’s just hope it’s not over/under charging the battery due to the age now being incorrect.

Be interested in others experiences.

On 5/19/2019 at 11:13 PM, Guest said:

Sounds very similar to my experience. The garage charged the battery and tell you it’s now fixed - duh!?

See my other thread on this - latest status is the battery was replaced for free which has made a difference thought little frost this year so limited testing. I have noticed the auto start stop functioning much sooner after starting, though.

I measured a low voltage in the morning before starting (11.9, but rising to 15 when started) but the technician said it’s not to do with voltage, it’s the health. I don’t believe them - that seems too low for a battery only 12hrs after it’s been running.  Assuming the alternator is ok, it’s  likely the battery not holding charge or some electronics draining overnight, eg WiFi or GPS for example.  I’ve disabled WiFi recently.

FYI there are two halves to the screen heaters, hence the two big fuses.  You could try measuring resistance from fuse to ground but that might not work depending where the fuse is, in the circuit.  Also, you might see and hear the revs dip when you turn it on as it’s a big draw on the alternator.

This was me by the way, somehow appearing as a Guest.

I’ve suspected for some time now, it’s has something to do with the battery monitoring system. Mines worked up to the battery recall last year. 

9 hours ago, Meta55 said:

I’ve suspected for some time now, it’s has something to do with the battery monitoring system. Mines worked up to the battery recall last year. 

Yep, that triggered mine now that you mention it.  As soon as it came back from having the sensor fuse mod added to the loom I noticed the stop-start didn't work so assumed they had forgot to put the fuse in or dislodged something else.  I took it back in and hence the to-and-fro to get to the bottom of it.  Perhaps the BMS notices the slight step change in the sensor resistance due to the additional loom/fuse, which then throws things out?

Hi I have just had the same issue. Yes it’s -2 outside but the heated refused to operate. I had the battery loom recall last year. Sure it worked in 2019/early 2020. 
Any thoughts ? Thanks Peter. 
65’ Plate SMax Titanium

4 hours ago, Piaggiopete said:

Hi I have just had the same issue. Yes it’s -2 outside but the heated refused to operate. I had the battery loom recall last year. Sure it worked in 2019/early 2020. 
Any thoughts ? Thanks Peter. 
65’ Plate SMax Titanium

Think we all need to start contacting Ford on this issue. 

I have been having the same issue on my 2018 model. On the coldest day of the year I smugly started the car and switched on the screen heater and waited and waited and waited. I ended up using the blower and a scraper to clear the screen. I thought that the screen fuse must have blown but tried it later when everything was warmed up and by using a surface scan thermometer I could see that the screen was heating up. I then looked in the handbook where it said that the screen heater (and stop/start) do not operate if battery charge is assessed as low, even if the engine is running and charging, so the very time you need the heated screen it refuses to operate - madness. My wife has a 2014 Fiesta and the screen works whatever the weather - no fancy BMS in her car. My last car, a Skoda Octavia, also had a screen that heated whatever the weather. Some improvements are not improvements at all. BTW, the stop/start has not worked for weeks either.

On 1/9/2021 at 10:40 PM, Meta55 said:

Think we all need to start contacting Ford on this issue. 

Happy to do this if others are too. Do you have a contact who would be interested as I don’t have much faith in the local dealer?

I’m planning on phoning ford directly tomorrow. My car is a 2015 early model and out of warranty.  Ford created this issue so they can fix it. 

Hi all, om new here. I came across this page as ive been having issues with my heated screen and auto start/stop. Ive checked the fuses and believe they are all ok. When looking online for help i noticed a lot of people saying its down to the battery. I did a test on my battery and decided to put a new one in. I did that today and still no luck. This is when i saw this page, and come to think of it, i think mine stated playing up after the recall. Has anyone had any luck with getting this sorted? 

Hey Everyone! I’m also new here but have the same problems! 2017 S-Max Titanium Sport start stop very inconsistent and heated screen has never worked. Owned it nearly 2 years. Put in under warranty just after we got as start stop didn’t work, even after a 300 mile trip. They charged the battery and seemed to get it working again. I did check the battery health last time I did a few hour drive and only showed 74% charge so assumed I need to replaced the battery. I’m going to put the  battery on charge tomorrow and see if anything changes. 

Is there a relay for the heated screen? if so where abouts is it? ive looked online but can only see the 2 fuses for the s max

Watching this thread with interest.  Just had out 65plate into the dealers for a non-working front screen.  They have said they want to replace the fuse board as it's apprently some non-replaceable relays within this that they say is causing the issue and are asking for just under £400 for the priveledge.

Very pleased to find this thread. And that it's so recent. I have a 67 s-max 2.0TDCi. The heated front windscreen has not been working since we bought it, new. Took it to the garage 3 or 4 times to try and fix it. First time they said it was a bad earth connection... And it did work afterwards for one day. Then they said it was the battery charge... And it did work for one day after charging it. Then they said it was a bad cell in the battery.... And it did work for one day after they replaced the battery.... But now it's -2 and out of warranty and not working. 

I'm going to show them this thread and see what they say.

23 hours ago, RyanCWH said:

Very pleased to find this thread. And that it's so recent. I have a 67 s-max 2.0TDCi. The heated front windscreen has not been working since we bought it, new. Took it to the garage 3 or 4 times to try and fix it. First time they said it was a bad earth connection... And it did work afterwards for one day. Then they said it was the battery charge... And it did work for one day after charging it. Then they said it was a bad cell in the battery.... And it did work for one day after they replaced the battery.... But now it's -2 and out of warranty and not working. 

I'm going to show them this thread and see what they say.

Please share the outcome, I have 67 SMax and experiencing same issue. I changed the fuse which made no difference (swapped with rear heater fuse and works fine so not a fuse issue). Also been in for the battery recall so potentially linked. Cheers

Reading this thread, got me thinking,  I’m adamant that the issue is power/battery related. Last weekend I washed the car, so I let it idle for the time I was washing it , till the auto shutdown kicked in, then started it again and let it run for about another 10 mins. I made sure that nothing was was switched on inside the car, radio/heating or similar. Then any time I’ve been to pick my daughter up from school, I’ve let the car idle again with all accessories switched of. I’ve also done an hours journey with very basic heating on. Low and behold, Thursday/Friday morning, heated windscreen was working. I believe I’ve proved my theory correct but I can’t keep leaving the car idling every opportunity to have a heated windscreen. Not very  environmentally friendly or great for the wallet lol 😆. We need to get a fix for this. 

I've got a similar problem with my Galaxy 2016 1.6 TDCi had the battery changed and still didn't work, also auto STOP/START stopped working after a couple of weeks. Has anyone tried resetting the BMS?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-Uaf8lNcNo

I have just reset the BMS but it didn't have any effect on the stop/start, but it is very cold. Forscan reports the battery charge as about 60%, despite being less then 3 years old. The car starts and runs absolutely fine and the charge voltage is more than enough, but the system is being over-cautious. I don't care if the stop/start doesn't work in the winter but it is absurd that the screen heater will not work. The rear screen heater is apparently not managed in the same way as that always works.

On 23/01/2021 at 9:00 AM, StephMcK said:

Please share the outcome, I have 67 SMax and experiencing same issue. I changed the fuse which made no difference (swapped with rear heater fuse and works fine so not a fuse issue). Also been in for the battery recall so potentially linked. Cheers

So I called them up and tried to show them this thread but they didn't want to see it. "All kinds of things on the internet" etc. But they did acknowledge that it seems to be a battery problem and they were also wondering if it was the battery Monitoring System as they pointed out the heated windscreen won't work if the BMS thinks the charge is low. This links with what @HiZ and @Meta55 said above too. It's going in tomorrow... I'll let you know the outcome.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club