Dempster88

Knocking in car goes away when braking, help!

So my car has developed a loud knocking noise.  

It’s not there or it’s not noticeable when I start the car, but usually when I’ve been at 60mph the knocking starts.  It disappears when I apply the brakes though.   I think it’s coming from the front but can’t really tell which side.  

Now I’ve had some work done to the car, brakes were replaced all round, new handbrake cable, new clutch, new starter, replaced air filter and fuel filter, new manifold and cat and new spark plugs.  

The noise has only happened recently, I did say to the garage when I put him in for mot that I heard a knocking and at first I thought it was my engine, when I got the car back the garage said he checked my engine for me, mounts etc, but he said my engine was ok and he never heard any knocking,  so long story short my beloved car is making a lot of noise (sometimes) and I’m completely stumped as to what it can be. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I really would like to keep the auld one going 

Oh forgot to say the mot picked up antiroll bar link needed replaced (which it has). But the rear suspension bushes would need monitored and replaced if needed.  Could that be it?  Confused very much as I’m sure the noise sounds like it’s coming from the front.  

Yes the rear upper arms if the bushes are worn or even the swaybar ones the sound travels and sounds like the front is doing it. Although the rear swaybar ones sound like tapping but the top bushes on the bananas sound like a loud tearing noise due to being close to the body.

4 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Yes the rear upper arms if the bushes are worn or even the swaybar ones the sound travels and sounds like the front is doing it. Although the rear swaybar ones sound like tapping but the top bushes on the bananas sound like a loud tearing noise due to being close to the body.

Thanks for writing back!  Yeah I’m going to get them ordered and fitted at the weekend, hopefully it will solve the noise, if not I suppose its another thing ticked off the list.  I’m usually ok at working out what’s went wrong but going to admit this one has threw me completely