bigboss314

Ford Fiesta 2016 TDCI and Japan Racing wheels help please

Recommended Posts

I got ford fiesta 2016 tdci (second hand) and came with steel wheels 6x15" et47.5mm.

I want to use the jr11 (japan racing) and they got 7x15" et 30mm. Anyone used them on this car? Is the offset change dangerous for safety or car components?

The tyre/wheel sellers that I contacted said they are perfectly fine and tried in this particular car. I don't think they got reasons to lie to me, as they could offer me buying something closer to the original specs of the car.

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do they not make them in Ford offset?  ET30 is quite low, they'll sit further out in the arch and you might get some arch scrub as well.  You may find they tramline more but the extra inch of width might negate that unless you're going for stretched tyres.  Also why not go for 16s?  15s look a bit small on a Fiesta imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Do they not make them in Ford offset?  ET30 is quite low, they'll sit further out in the arch and you might get some arch scrub as well.  You may find they tramline more but the extra inch of width might negate that unless you're going for stretched tyres.  Also why not go for 16s?  15s look a bit small on a Fiesta imo.

Because I bought 3 months ago new tires. They are 195/50/15. Unfortunately 4x108 PCD JR11s come only at et30 at 15". 

What matters for me (after ofc improving the car look) is that I do not lose in safety terms with the new wheels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bigboss314 said:

Because I bought 3 months ago new tires. They are 195/50/15. Unfortunately 4x108 PCD JR11s come only at et30 at 15". 

Fair enough. :smile:  Are you lowering as well or staying standard height?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Fair enough. :smile:  Are you lowering as well or staying standard height?

No changes at all, just buying new wheels to improve the car look! From what I am reading, going from steel wheels to alloy ones, barely making you notice any difference in driving. I just hope I won't notice degradation though in driving performance due to the offset difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bigboss314 said:

No changes at all, just buying new wheels to improve the car look! From what I am reading, going from steel wheels to alloy ones, barely making you notice any difference in driving. I just hope I won't notice degradation though in driving performance due to the offset difference.

Ok, you should be fine then.  If you were lowered I'd expect some arch scrubbing with that wheel & tyre combination.  The only way to know for sure is to try it though!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ok, you should be fine then.  If you were lowered I'd expect some arch scrubbing with that wheel & tyre combination.  The only way to know for sure is to try it though!

 

What made me anxious to be honest is what I've read about the so called scrub radius... Some people suggested that it will stress the bearings, it will degrade handling... I wasn't so sure what to believe... If you were to guess, would the car handling improve with the wider rim and the overall performance with the reduction of the weight? Because I am ditching steel wheels here. Never driven before a car with steel wheels before so I do not know how the change feels in the same car when switching from steel to alloy. The last car I was driving was an old alfa romeo 147 (2004) with alloy wheels. Ford fiesta is such an improvement to be honest in all aspects compared to the alfa. After 12 years it seems that a lot of things improved... I am not sure that some things are drawbacks of alfa romeos, but the thing that I instantly noticed in the fiesta is how smoothly you change gears. The gear stick is so soft and smooth when changing gears... Meanwhile the 147's so stiff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bigboss314 said:

What made me anxious to be honest is what I've read about the so called scrub radius... Some people suggested that it will stress the bearings, it will degrade handling... I wasn't so sure what to believe... If you were to guess, would the car handling improve with the wider rim and the overall performance with the reduction of the weight? Because I am ditching steel wheels here. Never driven before a car with steel wheels before so I do not know how the change feels in the same car when switching from steel to alloy. The last car I was driving was an old alfa romeo 147 (2004) with alloy wheels. Ford fiesta is such an improvement to be honest in all aspects compared to the alfa. After 12 years it seems that a lot of things improved... I am not sure that some things are drawbacks of alfa romeos, but the thing that I instantly noticed in the fiesta is how smoothly you change gears. The gear stick is so soft and smooth when changing gears... Meanwhile the 147's so stiff.

I don't think it'll stress the bearings much extra at all, I used to change alloys regularly and never had any bearing issues.  Handling is subjective.  It might tram-line more which feels like the car pulls about on a straight road so doesn't feel 'solid', you won't know until you try it though.  The slightly wider stance should make the car feel more planted on a perfect road though.

Are the JR11s lightweight?  Steel wheels are usually lighter than the same size alloys due to the design of them, unless you're choosing specific lightweight racing alloys.  If they are lightweight then yes you should feel that as an improvement in acceleration and cornering.

I can tell you're a bit of a worrier like myself, but really you'll just have to go for it...if you decide after a week or two that it's worse then it's not a major issue, just sell them on and chose some different wheels, there are plenty of standard Fiesta alloys to try! :smile: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Are the JR11s lightweight?  Steel wheels are usually lighter than the same size alloys due to the design of them, unless you're choosing specific lightweight racing alloys.  If they are lightweight then yes you should feel that as an improvement in acceleration and cornering.

If I remember correctly they told me 6.2 kg

15 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I can tell you're a bit of a worrier like myself, but really you'll just have to go for it...if you decide after a week or two that it's worse then it's not a major issue, just sell them on and chose some different wheels, there are plenty of standard Fiesta alloys to try!

Yea... I hope though they fit because I liked the jr11 design very much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, bigboss314 said:

If I remember correctly they told me 6.2 kg

Yea... I hope though they fit because I liked the jr11 design very much!

Ah right, that is very light!  Steels will be more like 8.5Kg, ST alloys are at least 10Kg! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah right, that is very light!  Steels will be more like 8.5Kg, ST alloys are at least 10Kg! 

Arent ST's 17" ? I mean these are just 15". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, bigboss314 said:

Arent ST's 17" ? I mean these are just 15". 

Yeah, I was just using it as an example, the extra weight of them ruins the ST imo, think they were only fitted for looks.  I don't know how much the standard 15" alloys weigh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2019 at 8:02 PM, TomsFocus said:

Yeah, I was just using it as an example, the extra weight of them ruins the ST imo, think they were only fitted for looks.  I don't know how much the standard 15" alloys weigh.

Soooo.... I finally tried the jr11s 15"x7" ET30 on my ford fiesta tdci. So far so good. I really do not notice any difference to how the car drives. I didn't have the chance though to drive it at a hard road with many turns. According to online calculators I have 17mm positive scrub radius... But I do not notice any difference in steering or handling yet. Maybe all that fuss about not changing offset too much (my case 47.5 -> 30, though wider wheel from 6 to 7") is a bit too much? Time will tell!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m running 7x16” ET32 with 205/45R16s. Only thing I’ve noticed, other than much better stability on the road, is that it doesn’t seem to corner as tightly when parking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ThaiFiesta said:

I’m running 7x16” ET32 with 205/45R16s. Only thing I’ve noticed, other than much better stability on the road, is that it doesn’t seem to corner as tightly when parking. 

Then it seems the offset isn't so important other than that the wheel must not hit fenders or be too close to the suspension components. 

Did you go for alignment after changing wheels or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bigboss314 said:

Then it seems the offset isn't so important other than that the wheel must not hit fenders or be too close to the suspension components. 

Did you go for alignment after changing wheels or not?

I always take the opportunity to get an alignment when I get new tyres. Make sure they balance the wheels also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.