Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help..! Fiesta leaking oil.... 1.6 TDCi

Lilsautoford

Hi all I have taken some pictures after I thoroughly cleaned all the oil and carbon off engine and box.

Things ive changed:

intercooler hoses both were split

intercooler had hole in bottom

o ring on the breather pipe

the pictures show oil present after 1 days driving, looks as its the oil cooler/oil filter housing

and ideas of points in right direction, turbo feed looks ok in pictures

oilleak1.jpg

oilleak2.jpg

oilleak3.jpg

oilleak4.jpg

This isn't a common place for oil to leak on the DV6 as far as I'm aware.  There are rubber gaskets between the block, oil filter housing and oil cooler so it looks like one of those may be weeping.  Are the two Torx screws in the cooler actually different colours or is that just the picture?  If they are, I'd suggest that someone has removed them in the past so likely to be that seal causing the issue.

Here's a better pic of the 2 bottom torx screws think there both T30?  I nipped em up a bit the other week was not very tight what should torque be for these torx screws? Do they have washers ?

The 3rd picture is amount of oil running down after 30 min drive...

20190715_150920.thumb.jpg.999a24e5dbb11383a9436d78364a52c7.jpg

20190715_151010.jpg

20190715_151055.jpg

They're not meant to be tight but I don't know the torque setting off hand, it's the rubber gasket inside creates the seal.  I reckon either it's been removed at some point and the gasket not replaced, or it might even be warped if it's been overtightened in the past. 

My suggestion would be to try a new seal between the filter housing and cooler but check it for warping once removed.

Would the warping just be on the oil cooler ? is it alloy?

Where would I find torque settings for these?

so a coolant and oil drain before I start and is there any awkward torx screws that are hard to get too?

I take it all gaskets/seals sit in the oil filter housing side?

Oil-Cooler-For-Ford-C-Max-Fiesta-V-Vi.jpg

The cooler is ally yeah.  Both parts probably have the potential to warp but I'd say it's more likely to be the cooler.  It is only my suggestion/opinion, as I say it isn't a common leak area as far as I'm aware, I've had and worked on a few 1.6TDCis and not had the same issue.

Torque settings should be in the Haynes manual or Autodata if you've got access to either of those.  If not, I may be able to get them for you tomorrow.

The gaskets do all fit into the filter housing yes.

Yes if you can get the torque settings for the oil cooler that would be great, 

I will take it off and put a straight edge on to see for warping, get new seals gaskets

the 4 holes in the cooler are 2 for oil and 2 for coolant? or all 4 oil ports?

as there's no coolant leaking

thanks again Tom

I gave it a good clean again Tuesday, and had a look Wednesday morning it looks like its coming from the rubber pipe with numbers 9656615680 on the side.

Below is a picture after the clean Tuesday (only drops of water on pipe) clean metal below.

second picture is Wednesday looks like oil on pipe and metal work below

20190716_112004.jpg

20190717_083730.jpg

here is pic of pipe by the look at it im hoping the pipe and not the top pipe insert or gasket or all 3-4 components 

1479838-2.jpg

Hi Lil,

Sorry I wasn't able to find torque settings for the cooler on my system, they may be on Autodata or ETIS if you know anyone with access to either of those, or Ford may not specifiy any particular torque for them.

That pipe is the turbo drain, it's not uncommon for that one to 'spray' a bit of mist from the jubilee connection at the bottom but it looks like your pipe may be damaged further up?  Chafed on something maybe?  It should be easy to change if it is just that pipe.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club