Darren101

New Focus owner

Hi all

New Focus owner, 2008 Zetec 1.8 petrol MK2.5

Love it, but wondered if you could help with the one problem I have.

When starting from being in a car park all day, as soon as I dip the clutch the revs bounce anywhere between 500 and 1500, sometimes drops enough to stall. As the journey continues the revs become more consistent

I also feel from pull off I have to give it a few more revs than I would other cars as when the clutch hits biting point the revs drop sharply, it's also quite tricky to hill start as the revs seems to dive sharply on move off.

Any thoughts much appreciated

On 7/16/2019 at 8:52 PM, Darren101 said:

Hi all

New Focus owner, 2008 Zetec 1.8 petrol MK2.5

Love it, but wondered if you could help with the one problem I have.

When starting from being in a car park all day, as soon as I dip the clutch the revs bounce anywhere between 500 and 1500, sometimes drops enough to stall. As the journey continues the revs become more consistent

I also feel from pull off I have to give it a few more revs than I would other cars as when the clutch hits biting point the revs drop sharply, it's also quite tricky to hill start as the revs seems to dive sharply on move off.

Any thoughts much appreciated

The main failure points on this engine that can cause this type of behaviour seem to be:

• Throttle body needs cleaning (not closing properly)
  • 1 (or both) of the swirl flap solenoids has failed (one affects low revs and 1 affects above a certain RPM)
  • PCV hose/valve is knackered and allowing air into somewhere where it shouldn't (this one is a pain because although the hose and valve aren't expensive, you can't get to them without removing the entire inlet manifold)