Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo replacement

Gezman

Hi all,

Fiesta 1.4 tdci 2008 Mk6 

I've just had a consultation at the garage and he's told me that my turbo is dying. He said that the process for replacement means clearing the carbon out of the system and reseating the injectors as well. All perfectly sound advice, he the said that although it's talking himself out of work, it would be better for me to try and sell the car now because he's done this work before an the car has been back in a year for the same problems. He said that once the engines are worn the carbon build up trashes the turbo quicker. 

Is this true? I believe him but I'd like to know if my car is saveable. It has done 165k so it's definitely worn but I've known cars do twice that. 

TIA

• Like 1

I'd say sell as seen and be done with it. Turbo replacement on a car that age and that mileage will be pushing the cost of the car probably. 

• Like 1

Yes, your car has done a few miles. But, before writing it off I would carry out a compression check to see if the cylinder bores are worn out before making the assumption that they are. Diesel engines tend to last longer than petrol engines over the years I have seen diesel cars with over 200k on the clock. Going back to your car I guess its also a case of how much you wish to spend on it to keep it in a usable condition for X amount of years, as like with most things automotive you will not get back what you put in.

14 hours ago, Gezman said:

Hi all,

Fiesta 1.4 tdci 2008 Mk6 

I've just had a consultation at the garage and he's told me that my turbo is dying. He said that the process for replacement means clearing the carbon out of the system and reseating the injectors as well. All perfectly sound advice, he the said that although it's talking himself out of work, it would be better for me to try and sell the car now because he's done this work before an the car has been back in a year for the same problems. He said that once the engines are worn the carbon build up trashes the turbo quicker. 

Is this true? I believe him but I'd like to know if my car is saveable. It has done 165k so it's definitely worn but I've known cars do twice that. 

TIA

Some of us become emotionally attached to cars  perhaps it’s time to let go👍

It's nothing to do with engine wear.  The older DV engines (1.4 & 1.6 TDCI) are designed poorly and suffer from major carbon build up inside the engine.  Once the turbo fails from lack of oil, you must do a full clean of the system to prevent this happening again straight away.  However, there are places inside the engine block that can't be easily seen or cleaned, it just takes a small bit of carbon stuck there, that drops off, blocks the turbo oil feed and then blows the new turbo.  

Personally I wouldn't bother replacing the turbo on a DV engine with that age and mileage.  Too much risk even if you were doing it yourself, let alone the high cost of garage labour for it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club