Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TCM Extended Warranty

Mikes

Has anyone in the U.K. had the TCM replaced under extended warranty? I need to get mine done and can’t see if this covers U.K. or if it is US only.

It’s a late 2012 Focus with 56K miles.

Mike

• 10 months later...
On 7/26/2019 at 11:07 AM, Mikes said:

Has anyone in the U.K. had the TCM replaced under extended warranty? I need to get mine done and can’t see if this covers U.K. or if it is US only.

It’s a late 2012 Focus with 56K miles.

Mike

Mike did you eventually find out if anyone in the UK has had the TCM replaced under extended warranty? My 62 plate 1.0 petrol EcoBoost having problems starting with 57k miles on the clock. I think it's the TCM too. I'm also in the UK. Had my focus nearly 2 year and its gave me nothing but headache after headache.

Claire.

• 2 months later...

Hi Mike and Claire,

Did you sort out the TCM replacement with ford dealer? I have the same problem with my 2013 focus and am not sure if Ford can cover the replacement cost for this, 

On 6/13/2020 at 12:11 PM, Claire87 said:

Mike did you eventually find out if anyone in the UK has had the TCM replaced under extended warranty? My 62 plate 1.0 petrol EcoBoost having problems starting with 57k miles on the clock. I think it's the TCM too. I'm also in the UK. Had my focus nearly 2 year and its gave me nothing but headache after headache.

Claire.

Hi Mike and Claire,

Did you sort out the TCM replacement with ford dealer? I have the same problem with my 2013 focus and am not sure if Ford can cover the replacement cost for this, 

That TCM extended warranty is basically only for software and doesn't really cover you for anything. If your car develops a fault chances are you'll have to pay for it. 

Unfortunately those powershift (250) gearboxes are not great. There's a massive legal battle going on in the states about it as they never got fixed.

On 8/13/2020 at 10:45 PM, MasterTechTip said:

That TCM extended warranty is basically only for software and doesn't really cover you for anything. If your car develops a fault chances are you'll have to pay for it. 

Unfortunately those powershift (250) gearboxes are not great. There's a massive legal battle going on in the states about it as they never got fixed.

Ford has extended the warranty in US & other countries to 10 years but not in UK. Is there any change in the specification of the TCMs in the cars manufactured in UK and other countries? 

Sorry I don't know the answer to that, I wouldn't have thought they'd be different but it's just an assumption. The main problem with these transmissions is not the TCM, it's the clutch pack inside. It causes juddering, slipping and poor gear changes, sometimes missing gears out all together. This is why the extended warranty is no help

30 minutes ago, MasterTechTip said:

Sorry I don't know the answer to that, I wouldn't have thought they'd be different but it's just an assumption. The main problem with these transmissions is not the TCM, it's the clutch pack inside. It causes juddering, slipping and poor gear changes, sometimes missing gears out all together. This is why the extended warranty is no help

Yeah, clutch packs were the route cause of all the ones I've done. But you had to update the TCM and pcm software, relearn the biting points etc road-test it again knowing full well it wasn't going to fix it. Hand it back to customer to try. 

Then we had the raw a and b speeds to monitor. Oh and the period where you had to wash the clutch pack friction plates knowing that wouldn't fix it and the box would have to come out again to fit a new pack. 

Happy days!!! 

20 minutes ago, iantt said:

Yeah, clutch packs were the route cause of all the ones I've done. But you had to update the TCM and pcm software, relearn the biting points etc road-test it again knowing full well it wasn't going to fix it. Hand it back to customer to try. 

Then we had the raw a and b speeds to monitor. Oh and the period where you had to wash the clutch pack friction plates knowing that wouldn't fix it and the box would have to come out again to fit a new pack. 

Happy days!!! 

Oh Jesus I remember monitoring those figures and having to send pictures and workings out to Ford before they'd authorise it... What a ball ache that was. Never washed the plates though!

I washed plates once and never did again. Effectively I did the job twice in the end.  After that it was bypass that stage and say it didn't work and needed new pack. 

I was the only one at work that got involved with the dct250 . Everyone else got busy when they came in. 

Don't envey you if your still at the sharp end esp with the delightfull phev range. Lol 

Yeah same, hate to think how many I've done. Got it down to about 3 hours for box out, new clutch and refit. Haha you don't know the half of it! Got to be careful what I say on here Ford are always watching 😂

1 minute ago, MasterTechTip said:

Yeah same, hate to think how many I've done. Got it down to about 3 hours for box out, new clutch and refit. Haha you don't know the half of it! Got to be careful what I say on here Ford are always watching 😂

Yeah me too. I know there watching, caught one out on here a few years ago sending me messages asking questions only a ford rep would know. 

• 2 years later...

I'm about to spend 3k on getting a Ford focus powershift reconditioned, am I wasting my money ? 

On 8/16/2020 at 10:36 AM, MasterTechTip said:

On 8/16/2020 at 10:36 AM, MasterTechTip said:

Yeah same, hate to think how many I've done. Got it down to about 3 hours for box out, new clutch and refit. Haha you don't know the half of it! Got to be careful what I say on here Ford are always watching 😂

Yeah me too. I know there watching, caught one out on here a few years ago sending me messages asking questions only a ford rep would know. 

• 2 years later...

I'm about to spend 3k on getting a Ford focus powershift reconditioned, am I wasting my money ?

Is there something very special about your 10 year old Focus that you want to spend £3000 on just getting the gearbox reconditioned ?

I've managed to get it done for 2k, the car was worth a few hundred scrap without a working gearbox, once fixed it's work 4k to 5k, as it has low milage and in good condition, no brainer really. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club