Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What would you have done in this situation?

onlyoneunited

22 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Only 90 people over 100 with a licence?  I'm sure there are more than that as there was a whole program about '100 year old drivers' last year lol...  Some of which were not safe to be on the road...including one that reversed out of her drive at full throttle with the assessor in the car... 😮

You're all missing the point about age though...it's one that my 80 year old Nan misses as well...it's not about the figure on your birth certificate, it's about what you are still able or not able to do, how good your health is, eyes, ears etc, brain processing and reactions...

My Nan hasn't driven for years (she want a good driver back them either!) but since losing my grandad and living in the stick she is really isolated.  She could easily afford to buy a mobility scooter but even she knows she wouldn't be safe on one sadly.  The problem is, a lot of older drivers don't seem to have the same insight into their own abilities...

Yeah, I thought the figure was low so I was just looking again at the spreadsheet. It's very big and won't all show on the phone at once so the figures above are ladies only, scrolling across  reveals the overall totals are 112,880 licence holders in their 90's, 319 of 100+ , including 2 of 108, which moves my target up a year!😀

I'm not sure the rest of us are missing the point here, you make some very sensible comments above about overall ability versus numbers on a certificate, and then start again on "older drivers" in the last sentence, despite the statistical evidence to the contrary, for example as posted by @auldreekie earlier in the thread. 

So let's all agree that poor driving is still poor driving irrespective of age and hope that if we lose our abilities, at whatever point in our lives, we all have the sense to pack it in of our own accord, like the relative I mentioned and several others I know, have done.

(Btw what's wrong with reversing out of the drive on full throttle? If you don't do that there's a chance you might miss the guy who's illegally cycling on the pavement - now there's the real menace!😀)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

(Btw what's wrong with reversing out of the drive on full throttle? If you don't do that there's a chance you might miss the guy who's illegally cycling on the pavement - now there's the real menace!😀)

What about if a child runs across 😂. I park my car facing inwards so always have to reverse out. Try and take my time looking to see if no car is coming plus take care looking to the left as that side is a little obstructed by trees. 

The Ford ranger is now gone. Really enjoyed sitting in it as your high up 😅

DSC_0336.JPG

7 minutes ago, zain611 said:

What about if a child runs across 😂

Quite right. I hope you appreciate I was joking there! 😀 Like you, I'm always very careful when leaving my driveway, but we do actually have a problem with illegal cycling in our village, which does pose a serious risk to pedestrians using the pavement for it's proper purpose.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club