Dark Andy

Do the Focus Mk4 driving modes actually make a difference?

I've got a Mk4 Focus estate with the standard (non-adaptive) suspension. It has a button to select between 3 driving modes - normal, eco and sport but does anyone know what parameters these different modes actually effect? I have the standard (non-adaptive) suspension, so one thing I know it doesn't effect is the suspension. The manual makes reference to the eco mode effecting engine performance, other than that, it doesn't really give much of an insight into what the different modes do. Any ideas?

45 minutes ago, Dark Andy said:

I've got a Mk4 Focus estate with the standard (non-adaptive) suspension. It has a button to select between 3 driving modes - normal, eco and sport but does anyone know what parameters these different modes actually effect? I have the standard (non-adaptive) suspension, so one thing I know it doesn't effect is the suspension. The manual makes reference to the eco mode effecting engine performance, other than that, it doesn't really give much of an insight into what the different modes do. Any ideas?

I started a thread back in April and although it specifically refers to the ECO mode setting you may find it of interest to you.

1 hour ago, PLB said:

I started a thread back in April and although it specifically refers to the ECO mode setting you may find it of interest to you.

Thanks, I didn't see that when I had a quick look earlier. Some interesting observations there - think I'll give sport mode another go tomorrow to see if I notice a difference.

10 hours ago, Dark Andy said:

Thanks, I didn't see that when I had a quick look earlier. Some interesting observations there - think I'll give sport mode another go tomorrow to see if I notice a difference.

Sport mode increases throttle response, turns off start/stop and also tightens up steering feel.

I mostly drive in sport mode in my 1.0 125 ST Line X.

You should definitely be able to tell the difference between eco and sport. As a test, put in in eco and drive along. Keeping foot steady on gas pedal,  put into sport mode and you should feel the car surge forward slightly as the throttle response is increased.

4 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

S keeps the engine in lower gear and higher rpm for longer.

Sorry, thanks for the info but I forgot to mention it's a manual gearbox.

8 hours ago, sparkymatt said:

Sport mode increases throttle response, turns off start/stop and also tightens up steering feel.

I mostly drive in sport mode in my 1.0 125 ST Line X.

You should definitely be able to tell the difference between eco and sport. As a test, put in in eco and drive along. Keeping foot steady on gas pedal,  put into sport mode and you should feel the car surge forward slightly as the throttle response is increased.

I've not tried it in eco mode but compared to normal, sport's throttle response does feel crisper - I guess it's got a different response curve. I noticed the stop/start de-activated but I'm not sure I could feel a lot of difference with the steering - should it feel heavier in sport mode? Compared to my previous car (SEAT Exeo - a rebadged Audi A4 B7) the steering on the focus in all modes is incredibly light, as are the brakes.