Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil change required

The Finance Guy

I don't believe it is timing.  I'm at 58% after 8 months/4500 miles, on a 2yr/18000 miles schedule.

I don't rev the nuts off it but I do fair few journeys shorter than 10 miles which probably doesn't help.

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

I don't believe it is timing.  I'm at 58% after 8 months/4500 miles, on a 2yr/18000 miles schedule.

Yes, on a strict time basis you would be on about 66% I suppose. It's a pity I didn't find this in the settings menu until I'd had the car for a while, or I would have monitored it from delivery, though as I said earlier, mine is just about spot on for 2 years/730 days from date of PDI, though that could just be a coincidence.

Booked my service this morning for 24 Feb - it should be just about zero by then if it is just on a time basis.

• Like 1

Mines showing 59% at 1yr and 5600 miles. I try not to do many short journeys and only normally use the car 2 or 3 times/week.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 4:38 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Booked my service this morning for 24 Feb - it should be just about zero by then if it is just on a time basis.

Driving this morning got the message "change engine oil soon" come up. Just checked on getting home and oil life is showing as 5%, so if it is a time basis that's pretty near spot on. It's 25 days to the car's second anniversary on 1 March, 5% represents 36 days if my maths is right. Or it could just be coincidence😀

How are you checking the oil life? Is it in a menu on the display somewhere?

On the Mk4 Focus, its in  Settings , Information , oil Life

OR if youve got FordPass linked to your car , its shown in Vehicle details

6 minutes ago, The Finance Guy said:

How are you checking the oil life? Is it in a menu on the display somewhere?

Yes, on the Fiesta Mk 8 it's in the "settings" menu accessed through the buttons on the r/h side of the steering wheel. Go to "settings", then "information" then "oil life". Mk 4 Focus is the same.

2 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, on the Fiesta Mk 8 it's in the "settings" menu accessed through the buttons on the r/h side of the steering wheel. Go to "settings", then "information" then "oil life". Mk 4 Focus is the same.

Ah - I've got a Mk3.5...

I will take a look but I don't think I have that option. 

Ah - I've got a Mk3.5...
I will take a look but I don't think I have that option. 
You'll need to get it through fordpass. I have 3.5 also
  • Like 1

Just a heads up guys, I believe that there was a non-safety re-call for Diesel variants of the 1.5 MK4 Focus. I had the oil popup message just 5k miles after my last service. Turns out car needed a software update to fix this (dealer end), and they replaced the oil again under warranty. I think Ford Etis can also mention this if you type in your details

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JackH95 said:

Just a heads up guys, I believe that there was a non-safety re-call for Diesel variants of the 1.5 MK4 Focus. I had the oil popup message just 5k miles after my last service. Turns out car needed a software update to fix this (dealer end), and they replaced the oil again under warranty. I think Ford Etis can also mention this if you type in your details

FSA 19p11

• Like 1

Yes there is/was a re-call, I had the software update done takes about an hour, didn't notice till today after reading this thread, but the oil life info has disappeared from my menu, it was there before, now gone.

Just another bit of software missing or not working on my focus.

• 1 year later...
19 hours ago, Steve39 said:

Only 4,000m since last service but oil change indicator on.

Was it reset when you last had your oil change. If not thats why it's come on so soon

modern oils low in SAPS wear out in time

a new clever BS way to get some money, they now pretend modern CATS / other emission stuff is so sensitive that high SAPS oils (the very ones that took major abuse and made your car last AKA the posh high end stuff we've had for last 10 years) are harmful to these emission systems, so they invented low SAPS oils. 

However, to get these to take 200mph abuse through Germany and all the stop start stupidity, these now need super expensive, fragile additives which are time sensitive... (isn't that a coincidence)  - so the engine will self destruct if you don't do it every two years regardless of miles driven

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2020 at 3:52 PM, The Finance Guy said:

Procedure for resetting the warning message:

Press the start button without depressing clutch to switch on ignition. Press and hold the brake and accelerator pedal until "oil system reset in progress" shows up on the dash. Reset will take place and "oil system reset complete" will pop up. 

Thank you so much for that. Had the oil and filter changed but they said they couldn't reset the warning as the car had not had a service. Reset it myself now, cheers.

My oil change warning came on pretty much 12 months after that last oil change. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club