Sign in to follow this  
mitch84

Sync3 and Iphone via bluetooth

Recommended Posts

Hi

I have a few questions related to playing music via bluetooth connection.

My phone is connected to my cars sync3 system, I have 1 album downloaded to my phone, when I play it the artwork that is displayed on the sync 3 screen is some generic "pop" singer.

The music I have on my phone is from Apple music and its Sam Fender, anyone know why its not displaying the album artwork for him?

Also how do I play music from apple music from my phone that is not downloaded to my phone, I have done this before but can't work out how I did it?

I realise I can use the apple play connection via cable but I sometimes just like to connect via bluetooth.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The generic art is due to Gracenote, turn it off within the settings menu.

Can't help with Apple based interoperability, sorry.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

The generic art is due to Gracenote, turn it off within the settings menu.

Can't help with Apple based interoperability, sorry.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
 


Will have to study the owners manual see if I can work it out, what menu in the settings is the gracenote setting under? Can’t say I’ve ever come across that.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would do some photos for you as guidance but I'm on Sync3.4 so the menu is laid out differently.
Maybe this picture will help-

8e226e3de10bb7960da294deedde655b.jpg

Read here-

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/sync-3-album-art-347410/

Sometimes the problem with generic images is because Sync3 expects cover art to be embedded in the ip3 data but if it doesn't find any then it still tries to display images so it then finds something generally relevant based on the genre tag in the data.
I use Android and amazon music so not so au fait with Apple.
Whst I do is reauthor the info using mp3tag on my laptop, whereby I re-number my files and force correct album art onto them using discogs.

On Apple you could try -

Go to music > iTunes > Album Artwork.
Delete the Cache folder, quit iTunes, and then relaunch it.
As you display music, iTunes will extract the album artwork from your file data and create new items in the cache folder.
Make sure that you don't delete the Download folder in the Album Artwork folder.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

I would do some photos for you as guidance but I'm on Sync3.4 so the menu is laid out differently.
Maybe this picture will help-

8e226e3de10bb7960da294deedde655b.jpg

Read here-

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/sync-3-album-art-347410/

Sometimes the problem with generic images is because Sync3 expects cover art to be embedded in the ip3 data but if it doesn't find any then it still tries to display images so it then finds something generally relevant based on the genre tag in the data.
I use Android and amazon music so not so au fait with Apple.
Whst I do is reauthor the info using mp3tag on my laptop, whereby I re-number my files and force correct album art onto them using discogs.

On Apple you could try -

Go to music > iTunes > Album Artwork.
Delete the Cache folder, quit iTunes, and then relaunch it.
As you display music, iTunes will extract the album artwork from your file data and create new items in the cache folder.
Make sure that you don't delete the Download folder in the Album Artwork folder.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
 

 

Thank you very much, I haven't come across that menu so will have to have another look, I will turn off grace note first, see if that does the trick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t think album artwork works over bluetooth.

Ford Sync is one of the few systems that allow you to select playlists or albums when on bluetooth. If you have the song within your Apple lists you can stream it even if you haven’t got it physically downloaded to your phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kental said:

I didn’t think album artwork works over bluetooth.

Ford Sync is one of the few systems that allow you to select playlists or albums when on bluetooth. If you have the song within your Apple lists you can stream it even if you haven’t got it physically downloaded to your phone.

That's the thing I could of sworn I was able to stream from apple music via bluetooth and get all the album artwork as well, but when I tried yesterday sync3 was only showing music that was downloaded onto my phone from Apple music, all my apple playlists were showing but they were all empty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Stoney871

I just had a go at turning off gracenote, I managed to stream my apple music playlists over bluetooth this time, but some artists artwork was still the generic artwork even if gracenote was disabled or enabled. So not sure that setting has any effect on this?

Also I have come across this in settings any idea why the top one is greyed out, unsure also if I should have these enabled?

Thanks

 

IMG_1022.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gracenote will overwrite saved artwork if turned on but the system will still produce genre themed artwork if no artwork file is attached.

Not sure if you'll be able (as Apple is so adverse to allowing access to the devices using third party programs) but give mp3tag a go to see if you can access your music files and rewrite the artwork to each album.

Worth a try anyway.

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

I retag all my downloaded amazon music and put it on to a stick so all artwork is correct and the files are in the correct album order.

For any music on my phone that doesn't display properly amazon have their own artwork finder / tag name editor app.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reference your greyed out option- do you have FordPass installed on your phone?
Likely it's greyed out as it can't find FordPass to run bluetooth apps.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Reference your greyed out option- do you have FordPass installed on your phone?
Likely it's greyed out as it can't find FordPass to run bluetooth apps.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
 

Hi thanks for the info on the music, but I think as you said that Apple music is a little restricted on what you can do, I only stream form apple music in general so don't really have the files to access. but no worries on that, I will disable gracenote from now on.

On the mobile app setting, I do have ford pass installed on my phone, do you have both settings enabled on your car?

 

*update*, I do have ford pass on my phone but I did not have the app open, I will have another look next time Im in my car to see if that did the trick, but as said earlier should both these settings be enabled.

 

Thanks

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the option is greyed out due to Apple related settings, as stated before - I have no real experience with I-Phone stuff (had a Ipod touch a few years back but it bugged me to hell with all the faffiness Apple seem to like imposing on users) but have Android pretty much sussed with regards to media.

Take a look here and see if this is of help-

https://www.everappz.com/post/how-to-edit-id3-tags-on-iphone

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This should sort your art out, just do a search online for the correct album art, download it and then apply using this-

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/cover-art-studio/id1135043842

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 11:48 AM, mitch84 said:

That's the thing I could of sworn I was able to stream from apple music via bluetooth and get all the album artwork as well, but when I tried yesterday sync3 was only showing music that was downloaded onto my phone from Apple music, all my apple playlists were showing but they were all empty.

I fairness I mainly use CarPlay, and that allows the offline playlists.  By using Siri (works over bluetooth) can you force the phone to play the other playlists?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kental said:

I fairness I mainly use CarPlay, and that allows the offline playlists.  By using Siri (works over bluetooth) can you force the phone to play the other playlists?

I'm yet to try out car play, when you say offline playlists do you mean like downloaded music on your phone?

I would prefer to do that actually as my data plan is not very big.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mitch84 said:

I'm yet to try out car play, when you say offline playlists do you mean like downloaded music on your phone?

I would prefer to do that actually as my data plan is not very big.

Sorry I meant online playlists, the ones that are in your apple music collection but not downloaded to the phone.  Having all the music on the phone helps as not only does it reduce data use while in use, but it reduces the need to buffer so songs start faster and you can also listen to music if you are in an area of weak signal.  The Fiesta doesn't help signal as the heated windscreen does a bit of a job shielding the signal.

As our car is a non Nav one, CarPlay is great as it also beings live navigation apps.

If you prefer the Ford system, you can plug your phone into the USB slot, turn off CarPlay and still have access to all the Playlists, Albums etc through the browse function.

I think the Ford media system has larger album art than CarPlay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tried Apple car play, much better for music, had the car since December and had not tried it until today!

Is it ok to leave Apple usb cable plugged in when I leave car, wondered if it would still draw power even without phone connected?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

It won't draw any power.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
 

Good to know, if I left phone connected with ignition off would it still charge though?

I think I read that some with dash cams had to disconnect them otherwise they would stay on, unless that was the cigarette lighter connection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this