Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus MK2.5 factory speakers upgrade

spyroszar

Hi everyone,

After I successfully installed a Sony XAV-AX3005DB in my Ford Focus MK2.5, I'm thinking of upgrading the factory Speakers, so I would really appreciate your opinion. I'm not trying to achieve a super loud sound system here or with a lot bass. What I'm looking for is better sound quality overall and if possible a little bit more bass. The upper limit of my budget is 300 euros. I found tthis kit on eBay which costs about 250 euros including shipping. It basically contains a pair of JL Audio C1-650 for the front doors, a pair of JL Audio C1-650X for the rear doors, adaptor rings and wiring adaptors. Do you think that for that cost, is this upgrade worth it for what I'm looking for? Keep in mind that the installation will be done by me and as far as I know it requires a lot of work. In case the sound difference that I'll notice is minor, I'd prefer to keep the factory Speakers. Has anyone else here used those Speakers or other similar?

Thanks,
Spyros

It will defo make a difference as the basic Speakers are not the best. The part of changing them will be the challenge due to the originals being rivited on but very possible to do. I'm not sure of the oem wattage but doubt they are 900.

1 hour ago, F0CUE said:

It will defo make a difference as the basic speakers are not the best. The part of changing them will be the challenge due to the originals being rivited on but very possible to do. I'm not sure of the oem wattage but doubt they are 900.

Stock are 25w each 

I've fitted two sets of jlaudio C3 650 with a 10" sub and two amps but there over budget so there no point in me posting 🙊

IMG_20150327_180704_zpsd7epex1y_edit_1470089710076_zpsigakwk5h.jpg.7d4de977128c376be4a1a6bf04cc2c9b.thumb.jpg.2826a9069f432a0dcb75d567f0693c18.jpg

IMG_20150331_103555.thumb.jpg.cdbc00331e083e2fec24ca38a4a0db18.jpg

IMG_20150331_103547.thumb.jpg.aacac8325e8eabab58518f668df2521c.jpg

IMG_20150419_183526.thumb.jpg.e97e46938adc3f7cb8899307f295bcda.jpg

Heres a guide may help though 

• Like 1

I thank you both for your replies. I think that I'm going to buy them then and hope for the best. Lenny, awesome setup sir. However, I don't want to install a subwoofer and an amp. It is a lot of work, cost a lot of money and I also don't want to sacrifice any boot space.

On more question though. Since I'll do all that work, do you think that I should install speaker ring like this for example or they are not worth it? In case I decide to buy those rings, is there any chance that I'll have problem putting back the door panel?

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 9:39 AM, spyroszar said:

I thank you both for your replies. I think that I'm going to buy them then and hope for the best. Lenny, awesome setup sir. However, I don't want to install a subwoofer and an amp. It is a lot of work, cost a lot of money and I also don't want to sacrifice any boot space.

On more question though. Since I'll do all that work, do you think that I should install speaker ring like this for example or they are not worth it? In case I decide to buy those rings, is there any chance that I'll have problem putting back the door panel?

Hi, 

Thanks for comments mate; at the time I pieced everything together across six months then took a week off work to strip out the interior and install everything in one sweep; overall cost me close to four and half thousand but that's including the pioneer headunit, connects2 reverse camera, xtrons tv tuner, xtrons 10.2" roof monitor, two JL Audio class D amps, two sets of jlaudio C3 650's and a 10" hp audio sub with additional sealed enclosure and all vibe audio flatflex cables. 

Sorry for my delayed response; I'm just seeing this post now, 

I've researced all that sound deadening stuff four years ago and installed DEi Boom speaker cups in my focus on all four doors, there a foam mixed with volcanic ash composite; which reflects the bass and prevents door rattle; there slightly better in the sense that they completely encase the Speakers which will protect them from rain water when the window seals deteriorate in the doors, 

Heres a link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEI-Pair-Boom-Mat-Car-Speaker-Baffles-Round-Oval-Improves-Sound-2-per-pack/172823006373?hash=item283d0dcca5:m:mvXn_7ABWQwfuHiqmcCDyNw 

For the front Speakers you will also require these brackets to change from factory Speakers to 6.5" aftermarket.

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-2005-On-MK2-MK2-5-Front-Door-6-5-17CM-Car-Speaker-Adaptor-Brackets/171220347689?hash=item27dd872b29:g:ZUQAAOSwJ4hY-OMY 

Theres a different one for the rear doors: 

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-C-Max-Kuga-Focus-MK2-6-5-MDF-Rear-Door-Speaker-Adaptors-Rings-Spacers/371318147690?hash=item5674494a6a:g:GoUAAOSwqYBWoKGQ 

Also some M6 x 30 bolts, washers and nylon lock nuts, to fit the brackets then fit the speaker inside the bracket, I bought stainless steel from Kay's but sadly there closed at present due to COVID-19 however there are other online suppliers; put the washer and nut inside the door cavity, 

I also recommend Velcro 50mm sticky back velcro pads to stick the crossover box on to the door; mine are on there four years now and haven't come loose. 

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VELCRO-Brand-Heavy-Duty-Stick-On-ULTRA-MATE-50mm-Wide-Self-Adhesive-squares/163021721541?hash=item25f4da0fc5:m:m70aeMhmrntdtNrjUqA-oww 

The door clips may not refit correctly; I replaced mine when refitting the doors

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20x-Ford-Focus-C-Max-Interior-Door-Card-Trim-Panel-Retaining-Clip-Fastener/390599381190?fits=Model%3AFocus|Plat_Gen%3AMK+II&hash=item5af18990c6:g:-LIAAOxynapRf~Is 

Overall around 50 - 60 pounds for all the little bits to create a perfect result, 

If you have a rotary tool like a dremel but not that expensive; would help you to bore out the tweeter housing to make it bigger as the JL Audio C3 650's are unique in having a 1" tweeter 

The dremel style rotary tool is ideal for retaining the factory appearance while housing the aftermarket tweeter inside.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 8:59 PM, Lenny said:

Hi, 

Thanks for comments mate; at the time I pieced everything together across six months then took a week off work to strip out the interior and install everything in one sweep; overall cost me close to four and half thousand but that's including the pioneer headunit, connects2 reverse camera, xtrons tv tuner, xtrons 10.2" roof monitor, two JL Audio class D amps, two sets of jlaudio C3 650's and a 10" hp audio sub with additional sealed enclosure and all vibe audio flatflex cables. 

Sorry for my delayed response; I'm just seeing this post now, 

I've researced all that sound deadening stuff four years ago and installed DEi Boom speaker cups in my focus on all four doors, there a foam mixed with volcanic ash composite; which reflects the bass and prevents door rattle; there slightly better in the sense that they completely encase the speakers which will protect them from rain water when the window seals deteriorate in the doors, 

Heres a link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEI-Pair-Boom-Mat-Car-Speaker-Baffles-Round-Oval-Improves-Sound-2-per-pack/172823006373?hash=item283d0dcca5:m:mvXn_7ABWQwfuHiqmcCDyNw 

For the front speakers you will also require these brackets to change from factory speakers to 6.5" aftermarket.

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-2005-On-MK2-MK2-5-Front-Door-6-5-17CM-Car-Speaker-Adaptor-Brackets/171220347689?hash=item27dd872b29:g:ZUQAAOSwJ4hY-OMY 

Theres a different one for the rear doors: 

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-C-Max-Kuga-Focus-MK2-6-5-MDF-Rear-Door-Speaker-Adaptors-Rings-Spacers/371318147690?hash=item5674494a6a:g:GoUAAOSwqYBWoKGQ 

Also some M6 x 30 bolts, washers and nylon lock nuts, to fit the brackets then fit the speaker inside the bracket, I bought stainless steel from Kay's but sadly there closed at present due to COVID-19 however there are other online suppliers; put the washer and nut inside the door cavity, 

I also recommend Velcro 50mm sticky back velcro pads to stick the crossover box on to the door; mine are on there four years now and haven't come loose. 

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VELCRO-Brand-Heavy-Duty-Stick-On-ULTRA-MATE-50mm-Wide-Self-Adhesive-squares/163021721541?hash=item25f4da0fc5:m:m70aeMhmrntdtNrjUqA-oww 

The door clips may not refit correctly; I replaced mine when refitting the doors

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20x-Ford-Focus-C-Max-Interior-Door-Card-Trim-Panel-Retaining-Clip-Fastener/390599381190?fits=Model%3AFocus|Plat_Gen%3AMK+II&hash=item5af18990c6:g:-LIAAOxynapRf~Is 

Overall around 50 - 60 pounds for all the little bits to create a perfect result, 

If you have a rotary tool like a dremel but not that expensive; would help you to bore out the tweeter housing to make it bigger as the JL Audio C3 650's are unique in having a 1" tweeter 

The dremel style rotary tool is ideal for retaining the factory appearance while housing the aftermarket tweeter inside.

Hi again Lenny,

Wow. That is a well explained and helpful comment. Thank you so much!

I'll start buying everything I need then because it will take some time for everything to arrive. I'll buy those boom speaker cups you suggested instead of the speaker rings. Also those door clips will be very useful. I'm sure that I'll have problems with a few of the originals when I'll try to refit them. I also have a dremel which I'll use for the tweeters. When everything arrive, I'll reply again to this thread with the current status and to probably ask more questions.

One last question. I already ordered a reverse camera that replaces the boot handle but it's taking forever to arrive and I'm sure that the parcel is lost. I'll probably ask for a refund. Are you satisfied with the quality of the connects2 reverse camera that you have? I read your guide but the link of the camera is not working anymore. Do you know from where I can buy it?

3 hours ago, spyroszar said:

Hi again Lenny,

Wow. That is a well explained and helpful comment. Thank you so much!

I'll start buying everything I need then because it will take some time for everything to arrive. I'll buy those boom speaker cups you suggested instead of the speaker rings. Also those door clips will be very useful. I'm sure that I'll have problems with a few of the originals when I'll try to refit them. I also have a dremel which I'll use for the tweeters. When everything arrive, I'll reply again to this thread with the current status and to probably ask more questions.

One last question. I already ordered a reverse camera that replaces the boot handle but it's taking forever to arrive and I'm sure that the parcel is lost. I'll probably ask for a refund. Are you satisfied with the quality of the connects2 reverse camera that you have? I read your guide but the link of the camera is not working anymore. Do you know from where I can buy it?

Im very happy with the reverse camera from connects2

The item your looking for is Connects 2 CAM-FD1 

Heres a link to one supplier which I've found by google searching the part: https://audiovisualworld.co.uk/ford-mondeo-cam-fd1-cmos-number-plate-light-rear-view-camera.html 

I bought mine from dynamic sounds in London via there website however they dont seem to stock it anymore, 

It's also stocked here: 

https://www.dabandice.com/connects-2-ford-mondeo---oem-reversing-camera---cam-fd1-2942-p.asp 

Feel free to ask any time; happy to assist as I'm talking from experience 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

Heres a link to one supplier which I've found by google searching the part: https://audiovisualworld.co.uk/ford-mondeo-cam-fd1-cmos-number-plate-light-rear-view-camera.html 

I bought mine from dynamic sounds in London via there website however they dont seem to stock it anymore, 

It's also stocked here: 

https://www.dabandice.com/connects-2-ford-mondeo---oem-reversing-camera---cam-fd1-2942-p.asp 

Thanks again Lenny. I'll wait a few more days and if the camera does not arrive, I'll ask for a refund and order this one.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 4:10 PM, Lenny said:

It's also stocked here: 

Hi Lenny. I started ordering all the parts. I have a question about the Boom Mat Baffles. I know that I need the rounded 6.5"size but the eBay listing you provided above has a slim and a regular version. Do you know what's exactly the difference between those 2 and which one I should order?

Also, the seller from where I bought the reverse camera gave me a refund so I'll also order the Connects 2 camera you suggested.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spyroszar said:

Hi Lenny. I started ordering all the parts. I have a question about the Boom Mat Baffles. I know that I need the rounded 6.5"size but the eBay listing you provided above has a slim and a regular version. Do you know what's exactly the difference between those 2 and which one I should order?

Also, the seller from where I bought the reverse camera gave me a refund so I'll also order the Connects 2 camera you suggested.

I'd go for the regular version of the 6.5" mate as the magnets and cone on the back of the JL Audio C3 650 are huge, 

The shallow version would suit 120w Speakers or lower with less of a cone on the rear; 

The C3 650's pack quite a punch especially when amplified which you may eventually do too. 

imageproxy.jpeg-4.jpg.a16ba094efa754cd71c5c675d6035630.jpg

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

I'd go for the regular version of the 6.5" mate as the magnets and cone on the back of the JL Audio C3 650 are huge, 

The shallow version would suit 120w speakers or lower with less of a cone on the rear; 

The C3 650's pack quite a punch especially when amplified which you may eventually do too. 

imageproxy.jpeg-4.jpg.a16ba094efa754cd71c5c675d6035630.jpg

Thanks. I'll order the regular version then.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi again. Every item arrived and I finally had the time to perform the upgrade. It took me 2 days of about 4 hours of work but the result is excellent. It's a huge improvement over the stock Speakers. Another successful mod for my Focus came to an end. The last one will be the activation of the Cruise Control. I already ordered all the necessary parts and they'll be here soon.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spyroszar said:

Hi again. Every item arrived and I finally had the time to perform the upgrade. It took me 2 days of about 4 hours of work but the result is excellent. It's a huge improvement over the stock speakers. Another successful mod for my Focus came to an end. The last one will be the activation of the Cruise Control. I already ordered all the necessary parts and they'll be here soon.

Glad you came back to keep us updated on progress,

May I suggest; if you have an extra few quid in the future or perhaps want to treat the car around Christmas; fit a full range class D amplifier 

Personally I've got a JL400/4V2 bridged to the front Speakers, its around the same size as an Argos catalogue, really gets the 6.5" subs kicking, 

If fitting ideally cut the speaker outputs at the rear of the headunit and extend all four cables to the boot area as input and output 

Fit plug and socket to the cables, This way if you ever remove the amplifier you can plug in to the headunit output and keep the music going.

The outputs will go in to your amplifier along with a set of RCA and a Positive feed preferably 4AWG cable from the battery to the amplifier and earth locally in the boot. 

Would compliment an already excellent upgrade 👍

56 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Glad you came back to keep us updated on progress,

May I suggest; if you have an extra few quid in the future or perhaps want to treat the car around Christmas; fit a full range class D amplifier 

Personally I've got a JL400/4V2 bridged to the front speakers, its around the same size as an Argos catalogue, really gets the 6.5" subs kicking, 

If fitting ideally cut the speaker outputs at the rear of the headunit and extend all four cables to the boot area as input and output 

Fit plug and socket to the cables, This way if you ever remove the amplifier you can plug in to the headunit output and keep the music going.

The outputs will go in to your amplifier along with a set of RCA and a Positive feed preferably 4AWG cable from the battery to the amplifier and earth locally in the boot. 

Would compliment an already excellent upgrade 👍

Thanks Lenny. The boom mats were the ones that took over 1.5 month to arrive and as a result delayed the whole upgrade. I also forgot to mention that I had to replace around 6-7 door clips in total because the originals were either bent or stuck. 

The amplifier would be indeed a nice addition and I'm already thinking about it. This summer I'll enjoy my new Speakers and if I decide to add an amplifier I'll do it around Christmas.

So far I'm very happy with the car and all the modifications I did. I bought it at a bargain price from a friend's brother with zero problems and very low milage. With all these mods and I still didn't even reach the price that I would normally pay just for the car.

Thanks again Lenny for your valuable help on this topic and the eye opening guides.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spyroszar said:

Thanks Lenny. The boom mats were the ones that took over 1.5 month to arrive and as a result delayed the whole upgrade. I also forgot to mention that I had to replace around 6-7 door clips in total because the originals were either bent or stuck. 

The amplifier would be indeed a nice addition and I'm already thinking about it. This summer I'll enjoy my new speakers and if I decide to add an amplifier I'll do it around Christmas.

So far I'm very happy with the car and all the modifications I did. I bought it at a bargain price from a friend's brother with zero problems and very low milage. With all these mods and I still didn't even reach the price that I would normally pay just for the car.

Thanks again Lenny for your valuable help on this topic and the eye opening guides.

Thanks man,

If your ever in need of advice or have an idea which you would like to discuss feel free to contact and I'll happily advise or share knowledge,

Eibach lowering springs and tracking alignment is a highly recommended mod makes it more fun to drive yet wont scrape the road.

I don't do any car modification these days except for installing a tv tuner in the car two months ago which helps on social distance lunch breaks; I've moved on to home improvements thread here: 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Lenny said:

Thanks man,

If your ever in need of advice or have an idea which you would like to discuss feel free to contact and I'll happily advise or share knowledge,

Eibach lowering springs and tracking alignment is a highly recommended mod makes it more fun to drive yet wont scrape the road.

I don't do any car modification these days except for installing a tv tuner in the car two months ago which helps on social distance lunch breaks; I've moved on to home improvements thread here: 

Thanks Lenny. Nice topic you have there with so much content and nice ideas. I hope you continue your project soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1