Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk6 Crankshaft Pulley Removal Issues

NedPowell

Hello,

This is my first post here, hello everyone! Over the past few weeks I have been dismantling the engine on my Mk6 (2003) Ford Fiesta. It’s the 1.4 Duratec petrol model, and I’ve just managed to get the engine off the car a few days ago. I’m now trying to get the cylinder head separated from the block, but I’m having some major issues with removing the crankshaft pulley. From what I’ve read, the crankshaft pulley on this car isn’t keyed, which is part of the reason it is so tight.

In the Haynes manual, it describes making a tool to hold the pulley in place by bolting into the pulley itself. Unfortunately I have the model with A/C (two pulleys for extra auxiliary drive belt) so I don’t see any bolt holes on the crankshaft pulley. Is there another way to get the crank pulley bolt off of this car? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Regards,

Ned

In other Haynes manuals for other models I have seen them make something that stops the engine from turning by locking into the teeth around the flywheel. Go to google imageS and put in lock flywheel to see some ideas

I’ll have a look into this, might be a good way to do it. I’ll have to take the engine off of the stand it’s on to do that though, but thank you for the advice!

Heat the bolt and use a decent size impact gun on it.

No need to heat it, just use a windy gun on it. (and an impact socket) 

But most of us don’t have an impact gun

Without an impact gun you will most certainly need to lock the flywheel up.

I found doing these before we got a ridiculously powerful impact gun that heating the bolt would help loosen up the bond and a run of the mill 1/2” impact was enough to loosen the bolt.

Thank you all for your suggestions! In the end I bit the bullet and bought an impact wrench. My wallet despises me at the moment but the crankshaft pulley bolt is out and I can make some more progress. I’m sure I’ll be back on the forum with more issues soon!

• Like 1

I would be interested to see details of what impact wrench you bought and if you would recommend it. did it do the job easily and not feel like it was going to break?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 2:18 PM, isetta said:

I would be interested to see details of what impact wrench you bought and if you would recommend it. did it do the job easily and not feel like it was going to break?

The impact wrench I bought was a DeWalt DCF899N. I got it as a kit with the carry case, 2 5.0Ah batteries and a charger for £280 new. It feels absolutely solid and got the bolt out with a few impacts easily. I’m really happy with it, I’d definitely recommend it for tough bolts!

Not sure I can justify £280 for something I would hardly use. Could have done with one years ago when I was younger and doing more work on cars. But I do believe in paying out for decent stuff instead of poor quality that breaks

Keep an eye on Lidl, I bought my windy gun from there,  think just under £40....around this time of year. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club