Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Service

Adam Wilson

Hey guys,

So my car is a 2019 mk8 fiesta active and it needs booking in for its first service. Been quoted 255 by ford and 140 by an independent garage. Is it worth going to ford I.E. do they do any special seen as its its first service or its better to have that stamp in the book or should i use the independent garage for cheaper?

Thank you for your time.

You'll also get free Ford/AA breakdown for 1 year

£255 for what? That seems excessive, even for a Ford dealer.

I'd expect around £160 from my dealer for the "minor" service.

In terms of warranty, you can have an independent do it, but they must use Ford parts and change everything per schedule.

Unless the service recommendations have changed again, service is 18,000 miles or 2 years so at one year it's normally a "Convenience check" for which the official Ford price is £105, though some dealers are willing to negotiate.

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/service-and-maintenance/service-promotions/convenience-check

Like many others on here, I wasn't comfortable leaving an oil/filter change for 2 years, so negotiated a deal to include that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Unless the service recommendations have changed again, service is 18,000 miles or 2 years so at one year it's normally a "Convenience check" for which the official Ford price is £105, though some dealers are willing to negotiate.

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/service-and-maintenance/service-promotions/convenience-check

Like many others on here, I wasn't comfortable leaving an oil/filter change for 2 years, so negotiated a deal to include that.

My car hasn't had the convenience check. Its on the 2 year/18,000 mile service (currently sat around 16,500 miles) and all I asked for was a quote on its first service and I was told £255

23 minutes ago, Adam Wilson said:

My car hasn't had the convenience check. Its on the 2 year/18,000 mile service (currently sat around 16,500 miles) and all I asked for was a quote on its first service and I was told £255

Ah, you're doing bigger mileage so yes a full service is due. For info, I got the first service on my Fiesta (not the "convenience check") done at 2 years at the end of Feb for £208 at my local Ford dealer. As Brian mentions, you get a further 12 months breakdown which you won't with an independent.

6 hours ago, Adam Wilson said:

Hey guys,

So my car is a 2019 mk8 fiesta active and it needs booking in for its first service. Been quoted 255 by ford and 140 by an independent garage. Is it worth going to ford I.E. do they do any special seen as its its first service or its better to have that stamp in the book or should i use the independent garage for cheaper?

Thank you for your time.

I paid £225 for 1st service (2 years)  - but had an oil change at 1 year  - I used a Ford dealer  - if you need a warranty claim it will go much better with a Ford stamp in your book - is that worth £100?

No that's not true. It would be illegal for any car manufacturer to insist that you have to use their branded parts under anti competition laws. As long as the parts meet the manufacturer specifications you can use them.

On 7/10/2020 at 2:43 PM, alexp999 said:

£255 for what? That seems excessive, even for a Ford dealer.

I'd expect around £160 from my dealer for the "minor" service.

In terms of warranty, you can have an independent do it, but they must use Ford parts and change everything per schedule.

First service for my 2019 mk8 fiesta at ford dealer here in Egypt costs around 2000 Egyptian pounds, that's about 100 British pounds 🙂 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

2000 Egyptian pounds, that's about 100 British pounds 🙂 

After all the money we've spent on trying to prop up our economy during the coronavirus situation, our pound will probably achieve parity with yours before long!😃

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ad@m said:

No that's not true. It would be illegal for any car manufacturer to insist that you have to use their branded parts under anti competition laws. As long as the parts meet the manufacturer specifications you can use them.

Yes your right - but up to 3 years i'd still stick with the Ford dealer

18 hours ago, Tiexen said:

Yes your right - but up to 3 years i'd still stick with the Ford dealer

Yes, I would imagine there is a difference between being legally covered under the warrantee and having the dealer actively supporting your claim because they did the work. Might not be fair but that's the way of the world.

I'm not a fan of main dealer prices - you have to look at how risk averse you are towards saving money on the service v's warrantee cover and possible re sale value with a manufacturer service history.

I keep vehicles years and look after them myself, a dealer history makes sod all difference at 10 years old.

• Like 1

I had the convenience check done at 1yr, by Ford, to get the breakdown renewed.  I'll get the 2 yr service done by Ford for the same reason, in the hope that having service, warranty and breakdown with Ford will give me a joined-up service in the case of an issue, courtesy car etc.  Of course I could just be fooling myself 😀

Just a note on this, the breakdown cover when having a ford service is participating dealers only, don't assume just because its a Ford dealer you'll get the breakdown cover. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Matt12341234 said:

Just a note on this, the breakdown cover when having a ford service is participating dealers only, don't assume just because its a Ford dealer you'll get the breakdown cover. 

That's a good point. I always ask about the cover extension when booking my car in. Wonder if anyone has encountered a Ford dealer who doesn't participate?

Ford service Activated Assistance

Every new Ford vehicle comes with 12 months UK & European Roadside Assistance from the date of registration. This can be extended for a further 12 months, or until your next service is due, when your vehicle has a Scheduled service or Convenience Check at a participating Ford Dealer.‡‡

12 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

That's a good point. I always ask about the cover extension when booking my car in. Wonder if anyone has encountered a Ford dealer who doesn't participate?

Ford Service Activated Assistance

Every new Ford vehicle comes with 12 months UK & European Roadside Assistance from the date of registration. This can be extended for a further 12 months, or until your next service is due, when your vehicle has a Scheduled Service or Convenience Check at a participating Ford Dealer.‡‡

Me! Bristol Street motors in Birmingham was not listed 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt12341234 said:

Me! Bristol Street motors in Birmingham was not listed 

Surprised that a big group like that is not included, when the two local dealers I have used over the years (both small, family owned) are. Does show its worth checking before you commit to a booking.