Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My MK4 Fiesta - Puma Conversion

sleepyhimiko

Here's some progress pictures of my cleaning so far! gearbox needs a bit more work but im fairly happy with how it's coming out so far

30630392-6f98-4898-b29a-1dbd4c1e0fc5.jpg

1e7e6e5b-c311-4bf9-833b-b35c2cde52c0.jpg

81a570ca-ed0e-425b-9afd-61e7913bb860.jpg

Got a ford apprenticeship online open evening in a about an hour! Hopefully all goes well

Just now, FiestaForever
5 hours ago, sleepyhimiko said:

Got a ford apprenticeship online open evening in a about an hour! Hopefully all goes well

Sounds good, and something that will be valuable for the knowledge gained. You will be able to put what you learn to good use.

went pretty good! lots of notes have been made!

planning on taking off the gearbox tomorrow and giving it a deep clean, anything i should be careful of?

got the gearbox off today, bit of a struggle with some bolts to break loose but got there in the end. Was lovely when it came off before i tried to move it and spill gearbox oil everywhere 😂 thank god it was on cardboard!!! Needs a deep clean inside and out so thats the next task and then onto the clutch! Trying to tip all the remaining oil in an old car shampoo bottle

c7ee9046-3532-4245-b843-72bb287e7ccb.jpg

2c8b6764-0796-4972-aa35-f3ac3accdc0c.jpg

d4fb33c7-a93d-4ad6-b733-457de8e441c5.jpg

bb72b0bf-6053-416d-a7ff-ac5f9032065c.jpg

Just now, FiestaForever

Brilliant, cara can be a proper struggle to take apart sometimes especially with over torqued bolts and seized bits. It is perseverance that is key, good job.

How do you plan on cleaning it out? 

almost all bolts were super stiff and then that sometimes comes with my tools slipping off the bolts and ending up with my smashing my knuckles and fingers on bits and pieces 😂😂 not fun at all!!! tried the clutch bolts and the clutch just spins so i think an impact gun would be best on those when i come around to buying one from work. then as soon as payday rolls around i'll be buying the new clutch.

Just now, FiestaForever
6 hours ago, sleepyhimiko said:

almost all bolts were super stiff and then that sometimes comes with my tools slipping off the bolts and ending up with my smashing my knuckles and fingers on bits and pieces 😂😂 not fun at all!!! tried the clutch bolts and the clutch just spins so i think an impact gun would be best on those when i come around to buying one from work. then as soon as payday rolls around i'll be buying the new clutch.

I know what you mean exactly, I been smashing my hands against the calipers trying to prise the stuck cylinders out of them, and slipping.

Impact guns can be good, especially if you have a compressed air system, electric ones don’t always get the nuts off, especially the ones that are rusted on. I have a gowaxee electric impact driver which struggles sometimes.

Is there a way to stop the clutch from turning, sometimes there is a hole in the shaft to put screwdriver pr summat in to stop rotation.

i managed to get a couple of the clutch bolts off, fairly easy to crack loose!! other than that it just spins when trying the others. We sell a £50 impact gun at work so may try that out since i get that lovely staff discount too 😂 Gonna drain the rest of whats left in the gearbox and then remove the slave cylinder in there before giving it a deep clean and a paint

11 hours ago, FiestaForever said:

I like screwfix they got a lot of good hardware, have used them quite a bit over the years, there are quite a few local stores here.

£50 is a decent price for an impact gun.

I read some reviews on it and asked some of my colleagues and everything about them seems positive so I may pick one up later today. Then it'll be clutch and flywheel off and clean everything up for when the new one comes!

I also have some door cards on the way which i'm super excited about! My original ones have melted slightly from the heat summer last year.

1.thumb.jpg.18468b523a1e7ea4e5f404c1e684e7c5.jpg2.thumb.jpg.bc5dc6d5047ebea9b23693e7c3fd5181.jpg3.thumb.jpg.6829760950311c1f0d9345fb5c801452.jpg

managed to drain the gearbox as much as i could so now its time for the deep clean! not going to be doing much to the engine this weekend so will update my list of things i need go get/replace. Monday i'm gonna give the clutch another go and tidy up my tools and make my area a bit cleaner to work in

found out there was a drainplug for the gearbox so coulda avoided the whole spill the other day 😂 also saw the ignition coil pack connections have broken so that'll need replacing too, may get the one from pumaspeed which comes with new leads too

i'll have to look at my broken coil pack but im sure it had the oval fitting like the one in the picture i attached! if it is oval, will the pumaspeed one be okay to fit as a kinda plug and go kinda thing? like no rewiring or anything

d026ad21-d0ac-4c67-ac32-c55b19281fa9.jpg

Just now, FiestaForever

I had a quick look on eurocarparts and I think you may be ok with your standard primary coil power loom and plug on your fiesta, but you should confirm this as I have noticed that ford do use the two different shapes for the same models sometimes. 

It isn’t difficult to do the wiring loom modification, and a coil loom repair kit with the oval plug is less than £20 on ebay. If it comes to that I can give you some help if you needed it.

i did find this on eBay which would fit my fiesta and it looks to be the same shape and connections as the puma one so hopefully the pumaspeed should be fine to slap on the puma engine, if not then i know who to come to for help 😂

014983ea-974e-4afb-ab9d-713ca7ff5424.jpg

and then on euros i searched through my reg and this is the only one that came up. Pretty sure its the same connection 🤔

0010e20c-154a-4b52-92fe-3e49d192d282.jpg

Just now, FiestaForever
10 hours ago, sleepyhimiko said:

and then on euros i searched through my reg and this is the only one that came up. Pretty sure its the same connection 🤔

0010e20c-154a-4b52-92fe-3e49d192d282.jpg

Ok so I take back most of what I said in the post above. I was looking at the wrong section on PumaSpeed and as it happens they do sell a specific coil, with leads, for the puma so the spark plug boot issue should not be there if they are especially supplied to fit that engine. Looks like you are all set with that then brother. £166 for high performance ignition wires and MSD coil pack is a steal.👍

ah gotcha! that's what i'll be getting! think i should do a 4-2-1 manifold and then a sports cat or just stay standard manifold and cat?

15 hours ago, FiestaForever said:

I know one of the differences between a regular puma and a racing puma is a sports cat but it is your decision.

From my understanding a 4-2-1 exhaust header does give a performance boost, and a sports cat will be a perfect compliment for the header. 

Standard manifold and cat would be fine. If you wanted to upgrade the stock air box to an induction system, or have a remap or chip, having the 4-2-1 with sports cat would be better option for added performance.

Just because I already have a sports tube and backbox so may as well get the whole sports system and then get a sports cat welded onto it. But then again buying a standard manifold and regular cat would be the cheaper option just to get the engine into the car as quickly as possible. 

Other than that, I'm looking for a new alternator just for reliability in the long run. Any suggestions or recommendations for one of those??   

22 hours ago, Chaz84 said:

Are you doing the gear box on the floor or have you got ramps ?

On the floor! engine was already out the car when i bought it so I can have easy access to everything I need 

I'm also looking for just a new standard puma flywheel since I read that a lightened one won't make much of a difference. If anyone knows where I can get one for a decent price then lemme know. 

I did manage to find this catback system so would I just be able to get that and then use the 4-2-1 manifold without worrying about getting a separate sports cat?

456097820_ScreenShot2021-02-14at15_03_27.thumb.png.74f4ed7f9265e10dc203c1fcbc237274.png

Made a list of things I need to do which I can update as and when I need. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 16.25.00.png

Not too bad then thy can be a pain putting back in on the floor because of the diff hits the front mount on the way up

• Like 1

Just now, Chaz84 said:

Not too bad then thy can be a pain putting back in on the floor because of the diff hits the front mount on the way up

I'll probably end up putting the main part of the engine onto some blocks of wood to elevate a bit to make refitting a little easier.

You could use the left hand engine mount then have someone to help move it into place with two hydraulic jacks one on the engine one on gear box just to line it up then it’s just a case of get ready and lift that sucker into place lol 😂 be ready for some sore arms lol 😂

• Like 1

Well a need to do a engine rebuild no 2 piston and ring and the valves so not a good day haha 😆 so being sending of the head mite as well drop some forged pistons in to it , new gasket new timing kit mite as well upgrade the injectors as well . Mite save up leave it month until payday drop and get the inlet manifold upgrade as well typical ford day lol

• Like 1

The new t shirt my misses got me haha 😂 think it mite be a hint lol 😂

EC9C6DC1-F0EF-43FB-9915-9291C75C838E.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have sore arms from lugging the engine around lol, forearms and bruised and scratched up so gonna get myself a coverall from work tomorrow after my shift

• Like 1