Do Not Sell My Personal Information

09 Focus Squeeky start

Jamie J

Hello!

My 09 focus has a bit of an issue, if it’s been standing for a bit (more than a couple of hours) when I release the handbrake when I’m next in it, there’s an initial clunking noise, followed by a squeak as I’m first moving off, this goes within 50 metres or so. It drives fine at speed, no clunking over humps or anything. Strange.

any ideas? 🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, Jamie J said:

Hello!

My 09 focus has a bit of an issue, if it’s been standing for a bit (more than a couple of hours) when I release the handbrake when I’m next in it, there’s an initial clunking noise, followed by a squeak as I’m first moving off, this goes within 50 metres or so. It drives fine at speed, no clunking over humps or anything. Strange.

any ideas? 🤷‍♂️

It sounds to me like the hand brake is not releasing fully and sticking on, the initial clunk is the brake partially      releasing , the squeaking is the brake still sticking 

If my car had been sitting for a few days in damp/wet weather, it often gave a clunk on moving forward. The rear brake shoes had simply binded a bit to the inside of the drum. I cured it by driving (on a deserted road!), and applying the handbrake at relatively low speed, less than 20mph. This cured it, though I never had the 'squeak' that you are experiencing.

I thought a squeaky start was just a normal part of aging? :unsure: :biggrin: 

Have you got rear discs or drums?

23 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I thought a squeaky start was just a normal part of aging

That's a creaky start Tom, and I should know :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club