Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk3 2012 1.0 EcoBoost - Manual Climate Control Intermittent Failure

My parents own a Ford Focus Mk3 2012 1.0 EcoBoost, and they keep having issues with the heating/climate control. 

It's the base model climate control, so just basic dials for air speed, air flow direction, and temperature. 

Sometimes, the two right most dials (out of 3), stop responding to input. That's the air flow direction and air temperature dial. The air flow direction just stays stuck on the windscreen, and the temperature stays stuck on warm. The AC also does not come on. 

However this is intermittent, it could be broken like this for many days or even weeks, but then miraculously out of nowhere it starts working again. 

They were due to pay for a professional diagnosis last week but it started working again. However, it's just stopped working again. 

Last year they had a repair done where I think (they struggle to explain it to me technically) the switches behind the dials were replaced. But the problem has returned. 

Any ideas?