Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Suspected water pump failure 06 1.8tdi

Hi guys went out in the car the other day and there was a really rough sound coming from the water pump as I was driving I noticed that the temperature gauge went up to the red and the fan had kicked in I had only drove about 3miles and that includes the drive back home.got home there was steam coming from under the bonnet so I switched off engine and noticed the water had just about gone from the reservoir so I left the car on my drive till morning so I could get a better look in daylight and checked all pipes which are ok so I took a video of the water pump running and could see water coming from that area it looks like there is a wobble on the rotation of the pump what do you guys think and thanks for taking the time to read my post if anyone would like to see the video I can send it by message atb martyn

28 minutes ago, martync1967 said:

Hi guys went out in the car the other day and there was a really rough sound coming from the water pump as I was driving I noticed that the temperature gauge went up to the red and the fan had kicked in I had only drove about 3miles and that includes the drive back home.got home there was steam coming from under the bonnet so I switched off engine and noticed the water had just about gone from the reservoir so I left the car on my drive till morning so I could get a better look in daylight and checked all pipes which are ok so I took a video of the water pump running and could see water coming from that area it looks like there is a wobble on the rotation of the pump what do you guys think and thanks for taking the time to read my post if anyone would like to see the video I can send it by message atb martyn

My 174K mile 2005 1.8 TDCi had a similar issue back end of last year.  It was still on it's original timing belt/water pump etc and the pump (or maybe just pump seal) stopped doing it's job, 1 new cambelt, tensioner and water pump (Gates brand) later, no more leaks and I've no longer got to worry about whether the original belt tensioner is going to fail.

Replacing the water pump requires virtually all the steps required to do a cambelt/tensioner change, so it makes sense to replace the other parts relatively cheaply by only paying 1 lot of labour.