Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta mild hybrid 2020

Julianford

Hi everyone 

I have brought a hybrid mild one with a 48v battery it’s not a plug in electric car but the battery helps give power so reduces fuel so they say . Anyway the online manual is pretty basic and also the dealership is about as useful as a chocolate fire guard . Ford uk never reply and I just cannot find any information on the symbols that appear on the dashboard . They dealer gives a basic explanation but not enough to leave me knowing why am I doing this . Ford say that the dealership has not got allot of knowledge on them which seems stupid when they are selling cars and no full manual or information. Is there anyone I can email or speak to who knows allot about these hybrids or is it a case of just let the Christmas tree flash laughing out loud 

The salesmen don't need to know how they work...they're only after the commission...once you've paid it's no longer their problem.

The only symbol you can do anything about is the 'lift off pedal' symbol, which is pretty self explanatory.  You do also get symbols showing when the battery is charging, or when it's being used to power the motor...but that doesn't require any driver alterations.

If you can post a picture of any other symbols you're unsure of, members on here are likely to offer better explanations than Ford dealers...

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The salesmen don't need to know how they work...they're only after the commission...once you've paid it's no longer their problem.

The only symbol you can do anything about is the 'lift off pedal' symbol, which is pretty self explanatory.  You do also get symbols showing when the battery is charging, or when it's being used to power the motor...but that doesn't require any driver alterations.

If you can post a picture of any other symbols you're unsure of, members on here are likely to offer better explanations than Ford dealers...

Thanks that’s great to know . The pedal symbol comes up blue and sometimes green or white so I don’t know what this. Means or what I’m supposed to do 

• Like 1

I think one colour is cruising and one colour is accelerating, so drawing power from the battery.  The charging symbol is on decellerating when you are putting power back in.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Thank you 

I have this but it is very basic on the hybrid symbols and some not even mentioned . The supplier dealership state that’s all you get 

Yes, it's like Ford haven't caught up with their manuals yet.

The idea of the mild hybrid is really not to even think about it being a hybrid and just drive it normally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blue generally symbolises electricity, so I'd assume that's the charging recommendation.  Green is likely to be an efficiency recommendation.  I'm not 100% sure on that though!

2 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

The idea of the mild hybrid is really not to even think about it being a hybrid and just drive it normally.

I also thought this seemed odd...as they've never allowed a 'DPF regenerating' symbol or even a live temperature gauge so as not to confuse or worry drivers...yet they've dumped a load of seemingly unnecessary 'hybrid' dash lights in the MHEVs!

• Like 1

I have never driven or sat in the hybrid myself, but I have seen pics of a gauge you can display on the dash that shows when you are using power and when in regen.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/ford/fiesta/review/mpg-running-costs/   I have also seen pics of a similar thing in the Puma Hybrid's digital dash.

There is a mention of the different lights in this good review of the Fiesta Hybrid. It's from approx 4:50.

Specifically which lights? I know the pedal one is to encourage you to drive economically, but generally most of the other stuff is normal stuff like the speed alert or the cruise control info etc.

Is that reviewer old enough to drive? :unsure:  I must be getting old... :laugh: 

Lifting off the throttle is more to allow the regenerative braking to recharge the battery, or cut the engine during coasting, rather than wasting the battery by driving too hard. 

I'm not sure if the Fords do it, but I read somewhere that one of the MHEVs even uses TSR to determine when you're approaching a roundabout or stop sign etc, to suggest lifting your foot off to charge the battery rather than waiting until you're there and then slamming on the anchors.

• Haha 1

Another reason to detest modern cars.  I get enough of that from the missus 🤣

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm not sure if the Fords do it, but I read somewhere that one of the MHEVs even uses TSR to determine when you're approaching a roundabout or stop sign etc, to suggest lifting your foot off to charge the battery rather than waiting until you're there and then slamming on the anchors.

But wouldn't incredibly experienced and skilful drivers (such as members on this site, lol) be doing that anyway?😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You'd like to think so...but we've all seen the ones that don't...suddenly nose-diving 2 foot over the giveaway markings. :laugh:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, could anyone help with an icon that comes up on my new mhev fiesta. It comes up next to the bit that tells u to go up ur gears...it’s like two wavy circles one inside the other with three little lines at the top left of it. I’ve googled CE205B51-8689-48D1-82FF-2B2F2C5A8022.thumb.jpeg.aaaee53afe4a4e42afa15e6af6e0c0ef.jpegit to death and no idea? Thanks 

12 hours ago, Louise H said:

Hi, could anyone help with an icon that comes up on my new mhev fiesta. It comes up next to the bit that tells u to go up ur gears...it’s like two wavy circles one inside the other with three little lines at the top left of it. I’ve googled CE205B51-8689-48D1-82FF-2B2F2C5A8022.thumb.jpeg.aaaee53afe4a4e42afa15e6af6e0c0ef.jpegit to death and no idea? Thanks 

That is one of the few MHEV symbols that did make it into the handbook!  It's showing you're using the electric motor assistance, will change to a battery icon when it's charging instead.

• Thanks 1

I remember my previous car, which was a company one, it was a Toyota CHR and it was beautiful in every way, I really miss it 😞

anyway I always knew when it was driving on electric, which providing it had enough charge, would power me up to 30mph before the petrol engine kicked in.

I loved it on electric but unfortunately it wasn't long before the electric ran down then it was petrol until it charged up again.

So really it only ran on electric in traffic jams or until I got to the end of our road in the morning before going over 30 mph.

To be honest I think hybrid is farcical and is only there so manufacturers can use us as guinea pigs to test this new electric technology whilst giving us the safety net of petrol.

As soon as they are happy with this technology and we consumers have tested it, they will drop hybrid like a hot potato and go all electric.  Then try selling your used hybrid....impossible!

Having said that  I truly loved my sexy Toyota CHR 🙂 best car I've ever had, after 24 cars in my lifetime.

23 hours ago, Chainsawcharlie said:

I remember my previous car, which was a company one, it was a Toyota CHR and it was beautiful in every way, I really miss it 😞

anyway I always knew when it was driving on electric, which providing it had enough charge, would power me up to 30mph before the petrol engine kicked in.

I loved it on electric but unfortunately it wasn't long before the electric ran down then it was petrol until it charged up again.

So really it only ran on electric in traffic jams or until I got to the end of our road in the morning before going over 30 mph.

To be honest I think hybrid is farcical and is only there so manufacturers can use us as guinea pigs to test this new electric technology whilst giving us the safety net of petrol.

As soon as they are happy with this technology and we consumers have tested it, they will drop hybrid like a hot potato and go all electric.  Then try selling your used hybrid....impossible!

Having said that  I truly loved my sexy Toyota CHR 🙂 best car I've ever had, after 24 cars in my lifetime.

Toyota do make good cars and they are very reliable but like all manufactures they are also pushing part hybrid onto us which I dont like as you have made the vehicle twice as complicated for very little gain. The gain like below is more for the manufacturer than the customer.

On the Ford MH rubbish - its a clever way to lower the companys global emissions to help them lower their corporation tax and at the same time stuff the customer with limited life tecnology that will be ka put after 5 - 7 years and most likey turn the car into scrap as you'll most likley not spend 2k to repair a car only worth 1.5k.

And finally why do manufactures keep adding more warning lights / driver information aids as all they seem to do is confuse the average driver. 

I have very strong opinions clearly so apologies to anyone that finds any of the above offensive.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Eatonm112 said:

I have very strong opinions clearly so apologies to anyone that finds any of the above offensive.

I wouldn't worry Karl - plenty of us think pretty much the same!😀

• Like 1

Lexus guarantee their batteries for 15 years, if you have a health check yearly.

53 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Lexus guarantee their batteries for 15 years, if you have a health check yearly.

With regards to the battery guarantee its only worth while if it protects the range of the vehicle. 

A good friend of mine bought a BWM i3 to commute to work (70mile round trip) the car was great until winter came and when he drove home he had to keep the heating switched off as the car couldnt quite make the journey. The range on the i3 isnt the best to start with to be honest and they are rather expensive.

I actually like full electric vehicles to a point as the batt tech is getting better.

My thoughts are full electric or petrol not the silly half and half inbetween that we are seeing a lot of as its way to complicated for such a small fuel saving. 

At the moment I use a 1.0 Fiesta 2015 for work and believe that is as good as I can afordably run to help the planet but when electric vehicles are more affordable I will most likly buy one although that is 5 years away at best.

I kind of agree with you, but hybrids are a useful halfway house between pure ice and electric.  Toyato/lexus have been doing them for years now and their hybrids are good.

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

I kind of agree with you, but hybrids are a useful halfway house between pure ice and electric.  Toyato/lexus have been doing them for years now and their hybrids are good.

They are but the poor infrastructure regarding charging is the main stumbling block. Until that gets sorted on a widespread scale then its " As you were" 🙂

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Eatonm112 said:

Don't worry mate, you put it well, I think we are both barking up the same tree 🙂

I firmly believe Hybrids are there for the benefit of the manufacturer, but dressed up to look like it benefits the consumer.

All kidology, and also using the consumer as a guinea pig. IMHO 🙂

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club