Do Not Sell My Personal Information

windscreen washer problem

russ12345

On 8/7/2022 at 12:53 AM, Dan Cooper said:

I had exactly the same problem. On my stalk two pins were connected when the wash button was pressed. I bought a second hand stalk. Again the same pins were connected when the wash button was pressed in. I put this new stalk into the car and now the windscreen wash works. One stalk works, the other doesnt, yet they both appear to produce the same output.

It must be something to do with the wash button on the stalk under load.

Hi all, I have quite the same issue. Can't localize what exactly doesn't work properly. I think that the button of windscreen washer doesn't work (the pump is ok, rear washer is fine, front wipers doesn't move when press the washer button). I've took out the stalk, checked pins with tester when  button was pressed, so it makes signal almost every time when i press the button but not all time.   Maybe somebody knows how i can remedy this? Specifically i'm wondering how to remove the button from the stalk, maybe there some contact are loosing. 

Thanks for any help

• Like 1

My fiesta has just suffered this problem.  I found this post very helpful. Today I removed the wiper switch to test it, difficult with no numbers on the terminals where the plug goes in. On testing with a meter, the front washer switch appeared to be OK, however I then removed the rear clip on cover, which gives access to the switch contacts. I found that the right hand switches are for the rear washer and wiper, with the top 2, as per my picture, being the rear washer contacts. Cleaning the contact marked in my picture got my front washer going again. Remember the feed through to the front washer goes through the rear washer switch contacts. I strongly advise against removing the cover the other side, ie secured by screws. I did and whilst it gives access for testing to the wiring from the front washer switch it is a nightmare to reassemble, it took lots of thought and ingenuity! Anyway, hope this helps someone in the future!

20220817_154334.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2022 at 6:29 PM, Mookev said:

Remember the feed through to the front washer goes through the rear washer switch contacts.

Hello Mookev, it means that if rear washer work fine and front washer doesn't, the reason not about the contacts?

So I’ve localized the issue, by the way  if someone will be looking for how to  open a stalk there is several clips, you should carefully open it, with flat screwdriver for example.

image.png.18777d573b8eb79ce3e38ba393b141d6.png

Inside the stalk there is four plastic cams which turns on/off contact plates. The two cams was worn out, so I bent the lug of the contact a little bit, it’s work for now.

drawing below, sorry that isn't a photo :)), there is two views, from side and from top

image.png.45116acc85b01c7dcd23c770b2169cfd.png

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers. Mine have packed up again ,so I will be using this and trying another repair. 

On 9/18/2022 at 2:20 PM, Mookev said:

Cheers. Mine have packed up again ,so I will be using this and trying another repair. 

Dismantled my stalk today as per above pics. All working again now. I would advise only removing the top half if the stalk, if you also remove the bottom, the button spring is hard to get back together. At least now, if it fails again. I can be sure it is the stalk, which I will then replace.

• 11 months later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club