Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rocker Cover Help

liamstears

So I plan on replacing the rocker cover on my 1.0 ecoboost as I have a slight oil leak from somewhere on the top so I hope it's nothing major and plan to replace the rocker cover as the first option and go from there

My questions though are about how to actually do it and what's needed to do it

I do have the haynes manual and have read it and fully understand it but I wonder if everything that it says to replace actually needs replacing?

I plan to replace the gasket anyway so that's no problem but it mentions 2 different types of sealant required, I've had no luck finding these sealants, are they available? Or is there a good alternative to use?

Next questions relate to fuel rail, it says to replace the metal end pipe, is this needed? It's not too expensive so not too worried but wondering what others experiences are?

Also says to replace the seals on the fuel injectors, again is this needed? These are not the cheapest of things and the manual also says you need a special Ford tool (310-128), I haven't been able to find this too, is it needed if I need to change the seals?

On the 1.0 ECOboost an oil leak at the top of the engine is usually caused by a cracked rocker cover. During time the rocker cover can develop (micro)cracks. This is a well known problem on the 1.0 ECOboost. A failing rocker cover gasket however is quite rare.

I always use the original sealant (which can be ordered from a Ford dealer). Any other oil resistant and silicone free RTV sealant however should also be fine.

The stainless steel high pressure fuel pipe does not have any seals. The sealing of the pipe is based on the inverted flare principle. During assembly the inverted flared ends of the pipe deform slightly and the torque of the flare nuts create enough force to form a perfect seal between both metal surfaces without the need of an additional sealing ring. After being disassembled and assembled again there is a huge risk of fuel leaks because the inverted flare connections of the pipe are no longer sealing properly. This is the reason why Ford prescribes to replace the high pressure fuel pipe once it is disassembled.

The injector seals often get damaged during disassembly of the fuel injectors. These should always be replaced.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JW1982 said:

On the 1.0 ECOboost an oil leak at the top of the engine is usually caused by a cracked rocker cover. During time the rocker cover can develop (micro)cracks. This is a well known problem on the 1.0 ECOboost. A failing rocker cover gasket however is quite rare.

I always use the original sealant (which can be ordered from a Ford dealer). Any other oil resistant and silicone free RTV sealant however should also be fine.

The stainless steel high pressure fuel pipe does not have any seals. The sealing of the pipe is based on the inverted flare principle. During assembly the inverted flared ends of the pipe deform slightly and the torque of the flare nuts create enough force to form a perfect seal between both metal surfaces without the need of an additional sealing ring. After being disassembled and assembled again there is a huge risk of fuel leaks because the inverted flare connections of the pipe are no longer sealing properly. This is the reason why Ford prescribes to replace the high pressure fuel pipe once it is disassembled.

The injector seals often get damaged during disassembly of the fuel injectors. These should always be replaced.

Thank you for the detailed reply it really helps

Silicone free RTV?

I will buy these other parts as want to make sure I do the best job possible

Anyone have any idea on the Ford specific tool for doing the seals on the injectors? If it can be purchase? Or how it works and is actually needed?

• 1 month later...

Did you complete this job? How difficult was it? 

Thanks. 

23 minutes ago, ElCani said:

Did you complete this job? How difficult was it? 

Thanks. 

Hey, haven't got round to it yet, still don't have the sealant so need to get that, as it's a minor leak I'm dealing with I haven't rushed lol, I think it should be an easy job though 👍

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club