Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Axle Bushes

Paul_Ireland

Is it possible to change the rear axle bushes on your driveway by possible I mean doable? Both of mine are gone. Im thinking of replacing them with powerflex bushes for ease of installation I have read several reviews of the auction site removal tool none of them good. I been quoted "about" €300 about £270 to get it done which seems a bit much to me

Edited by Paul_Ireland
add text

Which bushes are you talking about? And what car is it? Focus or Fusion? 

2 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

Which bushes are you talking about? And what car is it? Focus or Fusion? 

Its a ford Fusion and its the rear axle bushes

I’m not that familiar with those bushes exactly . Are they the type which have a metal outer that presses into axle/arm?   I have done some of those on other cars. They way I removed them- if they are so bad the rubber falls out then that’s good, or use drill to go through rubber to get inner part out. Then I used hacksaw to cut a slot in the outer going from inside towards outside.  Making the cut where the most substantial part of the arm was do it would not matter if I cut a millimetre too far. Once the outer part of bush has a slot in it the pressure is released and it comes out much more easily.  Of course putting new ones it needs doing properly but that’s usually easier as the hole can be cleaned up . 

I don’t know where the brake hoses are on this car. I’m wondering if it would need hoses disconnecting to move axle far enough the do the bushes. 

I'm not sure about the Fusion. I think its more Fiesta based. But I have changed the forward trailing arm bushes on a Mk1 focus. The MOT garage said it was uneconomical to repair as all the other bushes have to be removed to get to them. However, I found that I could lever the arm down enough to get the bush tool in. Like @isetta said, I drilled out the rubber and cut the outer bush with a hacksaw to remove the old ones (the bush tool was useless for removing the old bushes). 

However, I'm not sure these are the bushes that you are talking about. As with any old bushes, the bolts seize themselves to the bush and are usually a real pain to remove.

So to answer your question, I think they can be changed on your drive, but be prepared for bolts to snap, It persist down with rain at the most inconvenient time and skin removed from your knuckles!!

• Like 1

The outer sleeves are plastic so they shouldnt be too hard to cut through. I ordered the poweflex bushes because you dont need the tool to fit them. It may well be a little harsh but right now its like sitting in a horse cart with no springs. I watched a few videos on changing the bushes and it seems that disconnecting the handbrake cables gives just enough room to get them out. The front wishbones sound a little noisy well the passenger side does so I ordered a new set. €155 all in £125 and half a days work. Of course it will rain and mucky water will get into my eyes but as the OP said its basically a fiesta and Im saving a fortune. I might splash out on a babycham at the new year!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club