Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK3 Damaged Wing

Nightowl1

Hello,. Some nice person in a landrover has drove into my son at a roundabout and then drove off without stopping.  I have dashcam footage, so can prove it but being son is 19 the cost of putting it through insurance would harm us more than the person who hit it.  So I enclose the damage, the quotes are coming in about £450 to beat this out and respray or £550 for new wing and respray.  I am seeing panel supplied and painted to correct colour on eBay for about £180 but clearly I would need to fit the wing and I suspect you would see the colour difference if not done at a body shop where they would blend into other areas.Could anyone who knows advise if the bodyshop prices seem correct to you, I was expecting more like £350 max.

Thank you

received_3060568974261199.thumb.jpeg.c9339c3052783b11b7b2ce5b423e0ae2.jpeg

1 hour ago, Nightowl1 said:

Hello,. Some nice person in a landrover has drove into my son at a roundabout and then drove off without stopping.  I have dashcam footage, so can prove it but being son is 19 the cost of putting it through insurance would harm us more than the person who hit it.  So I enclose the damage, the quotes are coming in about £450 to beat this out and respray or £550 for new wing and respray.  I am seeing panel supplied and painted to correct colour on eBay for about £180 but clearly I would need to fit the wing and I suspect you would see the colour difference if not done at a body shop where they would blend into other areas.Could anyone who knows advise if the bodyshop prices seem correct to you, I was expecting more like £350 max.

That is quite the dent, and the price is surprising. Considering the amount of labour involved in beating that out then filling it, then priming etc, I would have expected a simple new wing to be the cheaper option? Have you tried getting a price for a pattern wing (from Europarts or similar) as opposed to a genuine Ford one?

Hi, I had 2 quotes, one for £550 for new wing and spray, one for £450 which was beating it out and spray.

Looks worse on photo I think and when looking at it, it looks like with a strong puller it would come out easily, if one exists that is.

I was thinking spraying a panel is like £150 and the panel £150 max, but clearly my pricing is off it seems.

Attached some photos of the land rover as it has a private plate but cannot make out the plate, hoping if someone can and plate is somehow so private it would get me back to owner I could convince them to do right thing and pay for damage.  Such a mess insurance, someone else damages your car and you pay either via insurance premiums going up or by paying for damage yourself 😞

MOVA4226-0005 Cropped.jpeg

MOVA4226-0006 Cropped.jpeg

MOVA4226-0011 Cropped.jpeg

MOVA4226-0003 Cropped.jpeg

MOVA4226-0004 Cropped.jpeg

That'll polish out, sir (to quote a used car salesman).  😉 

Seriously though, for £100 difference I'd def. go for the new wing. 

Regarding pricing, they've also got to carefully remove old wing, re-fit with bits of plastic trim and presumably sealant etc. and then add 20% VAT, so £550 may be about right, but you can always get another free quote.

Hopefully you may be able to track the culprit down though.

Sorry, all prices were without vat, I should have said that.

Wing shouldn't be to difficult to fit. I did one on my daughter's Mk7 fiesta and that didn't take long to fit. No idea on paint cost as there's a body shop where I work and they forgot to charge me painting. Got a pattern wing from eurocarparts  from what I remember. 

Thanks Iantt, I don't think I am competent anough to fit wing myself, a set of discs and pads is about as far as I can stretch :), wish I was though.

Seems I will be investing in better dash cams also, I would expect a perfect no plate shot at the ranges in question.  

4 minutes ago, Nightowl1 said:

Seems I will be investing in better dash cams also, I would expect a perfect no plate shot at the ranges in question. 

The Police IT department will be able to clean that image right up, I would definitely report it, insurance or not, as that incident is worthy of a prosecution.

24 minutes ago, Nightowl1 said:

Thanks Iantt, I don't think I am competent anough to fit wing myself, a set of discs and pads is about as far as I can stretch :), wish I was though.

It's only bolted on. Headlight out, arch liner out then pretty much unbolt. Got instructions if you do decide to have a go. 

20 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

The Police IT department will be able to clean that image right up, I would definitely report it, insurance or not, as that incident is worthy of a prosecution.

I have been thinking about it all night, if people just go about driving into people's cars and driving off without even checking they are ok or anything and get away with it, they will keep on doing it.  It's just knowing the 2k he had to pay to insure the vehicle and if I reported to insurance, that would go up, he would not be able to afford it and hence he would not be able to drive, which he loves doing, the driver you could see in wing mirror looked down at son's car, perhaps he see young driver and thought, no chance this is getting reported, let's get out of here.

10 minutes ago, iantt said:

It's only bolted on. Headlight out, arch liner out then pretty much unbolt. Got instructions if you do decide to have a go. 

Thanks Iantt

I too think the police could trace that if they feel like bothering. But I’m not sure they would .  Two friends (separate incidents) had their cars damaged by people who drove off . In both cases the number plates were noted and reported to police. In both cases the police persuaded the  drivers to pay up.  Neither were prosecuted as far as I know. In one case the police visited the driver at his home . The other was in writing. However there’s some nasty people out there who might think retribution for going to police is justified.  I mean, that doesn’t look like a little old lady’s car does it. They should not be allowed to get away with it, but I might be worried if it was me 

• Like 1

Get those images on social media along with the story regarding the accident and kindly mention that you will be going to the local authorities.

• Like 1

There is good news and bad news, first the bad news...

Most insurance companies require you to advise them of all accidents you are involved in whether a claim is made from either party or not

Failure to notify them could invalidate your insurance

They can also ask if you have any accidents in the last 5 years when renewing or taking out new insurance.

Failure to notify them could invalidate your insurance

Also, if an insurance company finds out that you have not advised them of an accident you could see your premiums rise sky hire - just for not letting them know

Pursuing the other party, via the police or not, could lead to your insurance company eventually learning of the accident and the ramifications that will lead to.

Basically, you are screwed no matter what you do.

The good news is that there are far better Dash Cams on the market, nowadays, that would have captured the car's registration plate

Hi, I have the reg now, some friends figured it out, it's ENJ 1N.  I am going to complete police incident report as it's the law and not having my son get done for not reporting.

Perhaps this is some diplomatic or government vehicle and they are told not to stop or something but will report incident, not sure.  Guess all will be revealed when police come back to me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nightowl1 said:

Perhaps this is some diplomatic or government vehicle and they are told not to stop or something but will report incident, not sure.  Guess all will be revealed when police come back to me.

Not a diplomatic car, details appear on public web site which diplomacy plates don't...

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/VehicleFound?locale=en

1982967948_LRplates.thumb.jpg.59f677fb073e19238e0a677eacf96ce6.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, I have filled in police report now, so legal bit done.  Talking to son about calling insurance and fact premium will go up even though not his fault.  I guess I lesson to him on how messed up things are knowdays.

Also car booked in for repairs the end of week.  

Thank you all for your help.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have reported it to either police or insurance personally.   Lose the dash cam footage, make the repair (I'd go for a used wing myself) and no one would be any the wiser...  Even if the Range Rover has a rear dashcam it won't have picked up the impact point and will be easily disregarded in court.

27 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

and no one would be any the wiser... 

Except for every other car in the area with a dash cam and it only takes one of them to "do the right thing" and send the footage to the Police, who promptly log all the information into the police computers and possibly the Motor Insurance Database.

You don't want a 19 year old not doing everything by the book or else he will suffer for it for a lot more driving years to come

It's not fair but that's the way the world (of insurance) is at the moment.

He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wino said:

Get those images on social media along with the story regarding the accident and kindly mention that you will be going to the local authorities.

Hi,. I have the full dash cam footage that shows how appalling this incident is but we revolve around how the world has become, I post it and the world knows who I am and therefore their could be consequences.  I have spoke to police, I am told the insurance database is not updated by their records, they will simply go to owner after the 24hr period has passed, push a prosecution with CPS for failing to stop and pass me the insurance details of the owner or in some circumstances if owner does not want to go via insurance and they agree for their details to be passed on, pass me them.  But clearly if they do decide to go to insurance, my insurance will find out, so it's a 50/50 and in the end, disclosing to insurance as notification only is the best policy to cover my son.

So this is what I am going to get son to do.  The only peace I see in this is that the owner of the other vehicle is very likely to get prosecuted as cam footage is good anough not to riggle out of and some points on his licence with a conviction of failure to stop will mean some serious premium hike for him and might mean he will think twice next time, hopefully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl123 said:

Except for every other car in the area with a dash cam and it only takes one of them to "do the right thing" and send the footage to the Police, who promptly log all the information into the police computers and possibly the Motor Insurance Database.

Are people really reporting minor accidents that are nothing to do with them?

Sure if it was a hit & run with a pedestrian or if they've stopped to help the driver but paint transfers like this must be happening in the thousands every day.  The police are already stretched, they don't need to be bogged down with those instead of dealing with serious incidents.

Fair enough though.  I still wouldn't report it myself but do understand why others would.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The police are already stretched, they don't need to be bogged down with those instead of dealing with serious incidents.

They actively encourage Dash Cam owners to report what they witness, guess it makes the job of issuing fines/points simple if the offence was actually recorded.

The world is a different place to how it was 10 years ago. ***** cameras everywhere. I can't even take the missus to a fancy restaurant without her wanting to photograph my food from every angle before I get to eat it.

https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/national-dash-cam-safety-portal/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Carl123 said:

They actively encourage Dash Cam owners to report what they witness...

You can also earn yourself £100 by sending it into one of those 'reality' dash cam shows! 😂

• Like 1

You are obliged to report all incidents/accidents to your insurer, given that you have dashcam footage why wouldn't you? The footage will show that the other driver is at fault and your son's insurer will be able to recover all costs from the third party's insurer. You will also be able to get them to cover any hire charges incurred so that your son can stay on the road whilst his car is off the road. As a non-fault claim it shouldn't be held against him when the policy renews & of course you can shop around. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club